C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Best thing I've given my car, in years

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 04:28 PM
GEM '62
Drifting

Received 581 Likes on 229 Posts

Default Best thing I've given my car, in years

I had Lars rebuild my distributor, a couple months ago. I installed the distributor and set the timing per Lars instructions. I can't believe the difference in how the engine performs. The engine starts better, the acceleration improvement is pronominal and getting the car moving with the 3.08 rear is much easier. Feels like a whole new car.

Many thanks Lars, great job.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:32 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by GEM '62
I had Lars rebuild my distributor, a couple months ago. I installed the distributor and set the timing per Lars instructions. I can't believe the difference in how the engine performs. The engine starts better, the acceleration improvement is pronominal and getting the car moving with the 3.08 rear is much easier. Feels like a whole new car.

Same here - the guy is phenomenal.
But, I thought I heard on here that he wasn't rebuilding distributors anymore - I sure hope that's not the case
Old 04-28-2016, 04:38 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

I think he does more than rebuild. I think he also "tunes" or recurves the distributor. Hot rodders (self included) have been doing this for over 50 years. YES, it makes a marked improvement in response and performance.

Larry
Old 04-28-2016, 04:46 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Powershift

YES, it makes a marked improvement in response and performance.

Larry
Yep, it does. Always has and it can also lead to complaints about detonation in some cases.

The factory guys were not dummies. They had to tune for good and bad gasoline. You can bet they knew what was best. No secrets here.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:20 PM
Daren67
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Guys..... you made me jealous. I have been trying to get my stock L79 dist to Lars for 2 years now. I cannot get the distributor out. It moves up a 1/2 inch rotates left and right but I cannot for the life of me get it out. Yes the hold down bolt is off, tach cable off, shielding off, but I cannot raise it more than 1/2. Any suggestions. Car is all stock as far as I know.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:18 PM
midyear
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Lars does a fantastic job, lucky for me I have almost all of his articles copied and have my own sun machine.

Last edited by midyear; 04-28-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:42 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Daren67
Guys..... you made me jealous. I have been trying to get my stock L79 dist to Lars for 2 years now. I cannot get the distributor out. It moves up a 1/2 inch rotates left and right but I cannot for the life of me get it out. Yes the hold down bolt is off, tach cable off, shielding off, but I cannot raise it more than 1/2. Any suggestions. Car is all stock as far as I know.
Reef it back and forth as you pull up. Sounds like your distributor is being held in place by sludge.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:39 AM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,122 Likes on 550 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Lift the distributor as high as you can get and spray some carburetor cleaner down the housing. Keep moving distributor up and down and back and forth and repeat spraying carburetor cleaner and it will come out.
Joe
Old 04-29-2016, 07:44 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by plaidside
Lift the distributor as high as you can get and spray some carburetor cleaner down the housing. Keep moving distributor up and down and back and forth and repeat spraying carburetor cleaner and it will come out.
Joe
Its easy to worry about hurting something when snatching the distributor out so you approach it too gingerly. If you can rest your forearms on a valve cover or the intake manifold and push upward from underneath the points housing you can usually move it with some control and not bang anything up...

Either have the car at TDC (compression stroke) when removing the dizzy or else mark with blue tape on a valve cover or elsewhere in two places. Where the vacuum can nipple points and where the rotor points and DON'T bump the engine...then you can reinstall it close to the right position..

As to tweaking the advance curve, there is almost nothing you can do any more cheaply and easily to give yourself a 'seat of the pants' performance improvement. Carefully modifying the lazy, conservative, one-size-fits-all factory advance curve will not cause the polar ice caps to melt

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-29-2016 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:50 AM
Old Veter
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do I get in touch with Lars?
Old 04-29-2016, 08:13 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Old Veter
How do I get in touch with Lars?
Email: V8FastCars@msn.com
Old 04-29-2016, 05:08 PM
bigearl56
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Mr Chevrolet V8

Last car was a 390 BB so lazy it would not fall out of a tree. Sent the dizzy and carb to Lars and when they came back I thought it was a different engine.

Earl

Get notified of new replies

To Best thing I've given my car, in years

Quick Reply: Best thing I've given my car, in years