C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Body drop q

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 07:01 PM
ry57pont
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Body drop q

Getting ready to do the body drop and was wondering if anyone has used an army of manpower to lift and set the body to the frame. I was thinking of having 3 on each side using the wood support I have attached to the door hinge and striker rod attachment point. Any thoughts?

Old 04-28-2016, 07:07 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by ry57pont
Getting ready to do the body drop and was wondering if anyone has used an army of manpower to lift and set the body to the frame. I was thinking of having 3 on each side using the wood support I have attached to the door hinge and striker rod attachment point. Any thoughts?

Using actual MANPOWER to do this job has been done many times before. If the body is painted, I have seen the owner furnish white gloves to his helpers.

You also need a front and rear "spotter" to make sure everything goes down smoothly.

Then furnish a hearty lunch and a couple of cases of ice cold beverage.

Larry

EDIT:

I remember needing help with a project and with no guys around, and wound up using the SouthEast Louisiana Women's Ironworkers. They were more than up to the task.

Last edited by Powershift; 04-28-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:14 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

If you use manpower you need to have a couple guys on the rear who really understand how little clearance there is in lowering the rear quarters around the frame's #4 body mounts. That's a really tight area.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:16 PM
A-Snake
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ry57pont
Any particular reason you want to mount the body before paint? Over spray is a pain to remove.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:24 PM
ry57pont
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by A-Snake
Any particular reason you want to mount the body before paint? Over spray is a pain to remove.
Yes because I want to do final blocking in its exact resting position.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:42 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
If you use manpower you need to have a couple guys on the rear who really understand how little clearance there is in lowering the rear quarters around the frame's #4 body mounts. That's a really tight area.

Yep, really tight.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:47 AM
RestoMike
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I've used people power to pick up a body, never lower. A lot can go wrong using 'manpower' to lower the body back to the frame. As others have stated many tight tolerances with potential for damage. I've dropped many a body, just not using manpower.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:31 AM
Dan J
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been using (2) mechanical lifts for removal & replacement of the body. It takes less humans and reduces errors. I used (2) on the lifts & one to watch front & back.
Attached Images    
Old 04-29-2016, 12:37 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by RestoMike
I've used people power to pick up a body, never lower. A lot can go wrong using 'manpower' to lower the body back to the frame. As others have stated many tight tolerances with potential for damage. I've dropped many a body, just not using manpower.
This.

The key to lowering the body without damaging it is to be able to do so in a controlled manner. Too many things can go wrong with six guys (one loses his grip causing domino effect, somebody doesn't understand the instructions, arms get tired, etc.)

The body doesn't really "drop" into place. It can take 30-60 minutes to ensure everything lines up and clears. A lifting device lets you hold the body in position while you fix whatever is wrong/not fitting/in the way.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:09 PM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan J
I have been using (2) mechanical lifts for removal & replacement of the body. It takes less humans and reduces errors. I used (2) on the lifts & one to watch front & back.
That will be my colour , how fantastically beautiful. What is your interior colour?
Old 04-29-2016, 07:41 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

PERSONALLY/PROFESSIONALLY 'speaking'.

Depending on the specific circumstance....painting the firewall to match and or floorboards, etc. I also paint the body when it is on the frame..and I take precautions to protect the frame from dusts..which is not that big of a deal to me. ALSO...I prefer making sure all my gaps are spot on..and NO surprise's due to IF the body work was done on a dollie..and 'something' is off when I go to bolt it down and shim it AFTER it has been painted.....and this is ONLY because I get called to 'try' to help someone who has done this and now it is too late due to being painted. I know the body can be painted off teh frame...but I chose not to do so.

As for MANUALLY using people to do this.....I will say that you may want at least 10 if not 12 people. The reason is not so much the weight...but the position people will have to try to hold the body when lowering it. I have done it that way and TRUST ME.....even the biggest bad @ss football players I knew who helped...where in pain by the time it was done due to how they had to hold OUT from there core and hold it...even though the weight was EASILY something that they could have bench pressed. IT IS not the same when holding it outwards for a minute or two. SO...the more you have as 'back-up' helpers...the BETTER. TRUST ME!!!

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 04-29-2016 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:44 AM
slalomfiend
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Human Body Drop

just lowered mine with 4 guys on each side, check my thread - slalomfiend
Old 05-02-2016, 11:26 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

If it was me, I would find a shop with a lift. Yes, it will take two trips but safer in the long run. Plus, easy enough with access of a lift. All it takes is talking to a shop close by.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:32 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Our (Michigan) Chapter has done this many times - we use four guys per side for the lifting, and one or two at each end for checking clearances and positioning drift pins in the body mounts for alignment.
Attached Images  
Old 05-03-2016, 05:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

As nice as the car in the above post from 'JohnZ' looks...having as many people as you can get to come and join the 'party' would be to anyone's benefit. Like I wrote....minimum of 10 people..and this seems to be a good number of people to get...but if you can get more....that aids in reducing any possible 'hiccups' and cause for damage to the body when it is going down and people straining to hold there section as needed.

DUB
Old 05-04-2016, 05:17 PM
Roger O'Dell
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It does need to be on chassis for final prep. If your chassis is done, I use a thin plastic to wrap and keep dust and overspray off , PPG # PM16350 . Cut holes in plastic around mount bolt areas. Real easy to tear off ,except for some real tight areas, just take your time. Paint and body shops use this stuff for masking areas off, Masking tape and newspaper are long gone.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:00 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Roger O'Dell
It does need to be on chassis for final prep. If your chassis is done, I use a thin plastic to wrap and keep dust and overspray off , PPG # PM16350 . Cut holes in plastic around mount bolt areas. Real easy to tear off ,except for some real tight areas, just take your time. Paint and body shops use this stuff for masking areas off, Masking tape and newspaper are long gone.
with you 100%. I also like to use the 'institutional grade' of 'Saran Wrap' also. It is wider than the home use stuff.

That is how I do it if I am working on a car that is going to be put in garage and looked at and taken to shows in an enclosed trailer.

I also use the 'spray mask' product that washes off with water.

On the Corvettes that are driven in ALL types of weather and not going to be judged...I 'say'...what is the point. It will be the cleanest it has been in a long time when it leaves my shop.

I KNOW that some people do as what has been shown as how GM did it. The body being painted off the frame...and if they are good with that...then so am I. ALL I hope for is that they do not post a photo of a MAJOR CLUSTER that occurred to the body when setting it down and THEN ask for help.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Body drop q

Quick Reply: Body drop q