C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

(Poll) restomod or era correct 57 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 07:16 PM
nrbc7
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 78 Posts

Default (Poll) restomod or era correct 57 corvette

Ok where do I start ...... A few months ago I made a post on this forum requesting information and advice on several cars a gentleman had in his possession , 5 of them being corvettes . To make this story short I purchased a 57 corvette that had been in the weather for 30 plus years . I started a search for a replacement oem frame ( as the original was rusted though ) and at that time turned up nothing . So I decided to do a restomod mainly because of the rusted frame and non original drivetrain (except rear end )and since I already have a LS1 corvette engine and a 4L60E transmission I purchased a 94 c4 donor with front and rear suspension got in line for a corvette correction frame and my restomod seamed even more evident . Now my delima you see I've done a couple restomods ( 69 Camaro Ls1 6 sp and a 57 Chevy HT) and enjoyed doing them , but there a lot of work fitting and reengineering that goes into one even with all the aftermarket parts that are available these days . And after doing these two maybe I'm just ready for a easier restoration , with just bolt on and off stuff for a while . Added to injury I've located and purchased a great looking oem used frame now from the guys at Corvette Central . I also have located a 57 283 block and crank (correct casting but the owner couldn't verify the suffix for a vette ) 100 miles away and same guy has a set of heads that are 57 corvette correct numbers . That still leaves some parts to locate like the carb , intake (member gbvette62 may have one of these ) , and transmission 3 or 4 speed . I thought of posting wtb in the parts section but didnt want to until I made my mind up for sure which way to go . How hard are these parts to find ? What years will fit ? Should I try to keep it era correct ? Should I only use 57 parts ? Would I be better off just buying a new crate motor and doing a 5 speed ? I know most people will say what ever you want to do but what's the best ? I don't post a lot but I sure have read a lot and have developed a great deal of respect for many of the c1 forum members .This forum has a wealth of information and lots of opinions and thus the reason for my poll . I know this will probably never be a ncrs car but with a good restoration it will still be a 57 corvette with many more miles of smiles left in it ! Thanks respectively nrbc7any response would be appreciated
Old 04-30-2016, 08:17 PM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 275 Likes on 143 Posts

Well, my decision was easy when I bought my '57 project 16 months ago, because I wanted to replicate my 1st Corvette (1st car for that matter) that I drove when I was young. Same colors, but this car had no drivetrain. I was always going to make it a "day 2" car, with Cragar SS wheels like I had on it back in the day, and I had all intentions of building a 302 small block for it as my old car had at the time I sold it. That idea did change after looking at a lot of cars online for sale. Seems that a car with a "correct" 283 has a higher value than a comparable car with say, a 350 engine. Even though I had already started gathering parts for the 302 build, I stumbled across a '57 283 with the 2x4 setup dated a few weeks before my car. I love the look of the 2x4 carbs, so I had that engine rebuilt instead. Actually, after boring it, it's only 6 cubes shy of my goal anyway. I am going to use a Muncie 4-speed I had sitting on the bench. Everything else will pretty much be stock '57 stuff. I will be ready to drop the body back on the restored chassis in a couple of weeks. I am doing most of the work myself.
As far as a restomod goes, I probably don't have the skills to do a lot of that myself, and it would be cost prohibitive. Plus, I just wanted a car like I had 40 years ago, I don't want to re-invent the wheel here. I wouldn't be opposed to doing it on another car (maybe my SWC?) but not this car. Don't know if any of this helps you, but good luck with it whichever way you go.

Rich
The following 2 users liked this post by MidShark:
fatboy34 (04-30-2016), nrbc7 (04-30-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 08:18 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

swapping an lS is a big deal, stick with the gen it came with.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:26 PM
nrbc7
Racer

Originally Posted by John S 1961
swapping an lS is a big deal, stick with the gen it came with.
Yes I've done the Ls1 swap before and they take some time for sure . Thanks for your reply
Old 04-30-2016, 08:26 PM
abdo
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

In my opinion, the 56-57 Corvettes are a milestone car when it comes to styling. I have seen some restomods of a '57 that were done quite well but I still prefer the stock look on those two years.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:36 PM
nrbc7
Racer

Originally Posted by MidShark
Well, my decision was easy when I bought my '57 project 16 months ago, because I wanted to replicate my 1st Corvette (1st car for that matter) that I drove when I was young. Same colors, but this car had no drivetrain. I was always going to make it a "day 2" car, with Cragar SS wheels like I had on it back in the day, and I had all intentions of building a 302 small block for it as my old car had at the time I sold it. That idea did change after looking at a lot of cars online for sale. Seems that a car with a "correct" 283 has a higher value than a comparable car with say, a 350 engine. Even though I had already started gathering parts for the 302 build, I stumbled across a '57 283 with the 2x4 setup dated a few weeks before my car. I love the look of the 2x4 carbs, so I had that engine rebuilt instead. Actually, after boring it, it's only 6 cubes shy of my goal anyway. I am going to use a Muncie 4-speed I had sitting on the bench. Everything else will pretty much be stock '57 stuff. I will be ready to drop the body back on the restored chassis in a couple of weeks. I am doing most of the work myself.
As far as a restomod goes, I probably don't have the skills to do a lot of that myself, and it would be cost prohibitive. Plus, I just wanted a car like I had 40 years ago, I don't want to re-invent the wheel here. I wouldn't be opposed to doing it on another car (maybe my SWC?) but not this car. Don't know if any of this helps you, but good luck with it whichever way you go.

Rich
Thanks Rich that reaffirmed what I was thinking on the era correct 283 . I love the old wide white walls on these cars myself . What are you doing on brakes are you going with a duel master cylinder, disc or drum?

Last edited by nrbc7; 04-30-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:44 PM
nrbc7
Racer

Originally Posted by abdo
In my opinion, the 56-57 Corvettes are a milestone car when it comes to styling. I have seen some restomods of a '57 that were done quite well but I still prefer the stock look on those two years.
I too love the 57 styling and even thru my research on restomods wanted to keep the original look with intentions of doing the deluxe wheels as they're 20" but have the wide white walls built into the rims .
Old 04-30-2016, 09:04 PM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 275 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by nrbc7
Thanks Rich that reaffirmed what I was thinking on the era correct 283 . I love the old wide white walls on these cars myself . What are you doing on brakes are you going with a duel master cylinder, disc or drum?
I did go back and forth on the brake decision and I am going with the stock drums for now, as most of the parts were there. I do already have the dual master cylinder on the shelf for the future front disc upgrade.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:19 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

How about a "retro" restomod that looks somewhat period correct?
Small block, 5 speed, brakes that stop, modern rubber with "old school" 17" wheels, something along those lines. I've even seen a Ram Jet with the plenum moved to the side of the manifold so it looked like Corvette FI. The only limitations are imagination and budget.
Good luck with what ever you decide.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:26 PM
out2kayak
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 271 Likes on 129 Posts

Depends on what you want. If it were me and I was looking for an easier to do, fun machine, I'd probably do a connect and cruise LSA with a SRIII chassis.

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance...ruise-lsa.html

http://sriiimotorsports.com/

If you wanted to go the easiest route, there are folks out there (SRIII is one) who will do a turn key project.

But again, it's what you want and can afford.

-- Joe
The following users liked this post:
nrbc7 (04-30-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 09:58 PM
nrbc7
Racer

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
How about a "retro" restomod that looks somewhat period correct?
Small block, 5 speed, brakes that stop, modern rubber with "old school" 17" wheels, something along those lines. I've even seen a Ram Jet with the plenum moved to the side of the manifold so it looked like Corvette FI. The only limitations are imagination and budget.
Good luck with what ever you decide.
Yes I checked on the gm crate engine 3 year I think 36,000 mile warranty for $1459. Not really looking for high horsepower mostly dependability plus add pertronix into the original distributor , only thing was the oil draft breather tube goes under the intake and exit thru intake and down the back of the engine anyone ever deal with this on a 350 crate engine other than eliminate it and do a pcv Also creates a problem using the original 7 fin aluminum valve covers plus the bolts are offset on the old heads compared to straight across on newer heads .
Old 04-30-2016, 10:50 PM
nrbc7
Racer

Originally Posted by out2kayak
Depends on what you want. If it were me and I was looking for an easier to do, fun machine, I'd probably do a connect and cruise LSA with a SRIII chassis.

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance...ruise-lsa.html

http://sriiimotorsports.com/

If you wanted to go the easiest route, there are folks out there (SRIII is one) who will do a turn key project.

But again, it's what you want and can afford.

-- Joe
I like that setup and actually talked to Mike at SRIII he was very nice and had a great product . I also talked to Billy at Corvette Correction and his setup worked better with the engine ,trans. and suspension that I already have . I guess another thing that has me wavering at this point was I got to thinking how much I would actually drive this car as I have a 2016 z06 with 800 miles on it plus the other two restomods that I mentioned that are rarely driven , then the long term value . I know the 69 Ls1 Camaro has been done for 6 or 7 yrs and now the market is flooded with them the value seems to be declining as there's always the next best thing around the corner but the era correct cars seem to hold steady although the retomod usually bring more in there day they cost more to build . If I was going to do a build and sell I like the combination you suggested and would be idea and hold good for years to come ! Thanks for your imput nrbc7

Last edited by nrbc7; 04-30-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:45 AM
61 Roadster
Pro

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Corvette of the Year Finalist 2018
2017 C1 of Year Finalist
2015 C1 of Year Finalist

For what it's worth, I say keep it as reasonably stock as possible; I've never heard "I can't believe he left it original".
Old 05-01-2016, 12:57 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

The "best "way you asked about is the one that you really feel youll be happy with theres no right answer from us

Why not do something simple, affordable fun and not follow the trends? A true to life driver sounds like youve done the bux up thing and are still hunting
(could always disguise a 396 or 421sbc +5 spd as a 283/4spd with headers!)

Too many overdone ones around-
Everyones different.

Just have fun and follow through on your vision not what the internet tells you is cool, correct or anything else.

Last edited by cv67; 05-01-2016 at 01:01 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:56 AM
Todd H.
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared))
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

It doesn't sound like you'll drive this car very much. In light of that, most mechanical upgrades are difficult to justify.

So it needs an engine, frame, and paint? Fairly complete otherwise? A 283 (548 blocks are still fairly easy to find) and a BW or Muncie 4 speed (skip the 3 speed) are pretty easy, too. If '57 correct stuff is available, get that, but don't let anyone gouge you too bad. Period-correct would due, except for the engine. Standard '57 brakes stop the car just fine, unless you're going to the track or you're going to run it fast a lot in very hot weather. The dual chamber master cylinder/front disc conversion is nice, but probably not necessary. Rebuild the stock suspension. Rebuild and use the stock steering. A '57 Corvette is a milestone car. If there's much of it left, it should be kept stock.

I know many of the guys on this forum love restomods. Even I like some of them. It's not much different than the guys that revised them when they were just a few years old; it's just today's version. But what about 5-10 years from now when engines and chassis set-ups are much better? Time for another update, I guess. And you could say "even if I don't update it again, it'll still run circles around your more or less stock '57." True. Good point.

Maybe it just comes down to what one appreciates about these old cars. For me it's the history. All of the things this car has been through, and all the memories created in it by it's previous owners. Things I don't even know about that make it cool. Even though my car is considerably different than it was when it left the factory, it's much the same as it was when it left the racetrack in about 1969. I wish there was another NCRS or car show class that was for "cars left the same as their owners made them 5-10 years after manufacture".

Maybe all of that is off topic, but my point is that while there is always room for different tastes in the Corvette hobby, there's a solid core that appreciates cars that are more or less stock... or at least "old school". Since you seem concerned about long term value, I think this is a good way to go. I know there are some big money guys into restomods right now, but there's still pretty good money in stock cars, too. And that appreciation has been around longer.

Last edited by Todd H.; 05-01-2016 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:01 AM
nrbc7
Racer

Originally Posted by 61 Roadster
For what it's worth, I say keep it as reasonably stock as possible; I've never heard "I can't believe he left it original".
Come to think of it I've never heard anyone say that either . Lol makes sense......
Old 05-01-2016, 08:23 AM
nrbc7
Racer

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
The "best "way you asked about is the one that you really feel youll be happy with theres no right answer from us

Why not do something simple, affordable fun and not follow the trends? A true to life driver sounds like youve done the bux up thing and are still hunting
(could always disguise a 396 or 421sbc +5 spd as a 283/4spd with headers!)

Too many overdone ones around-
Everyones different.

Just have fun and follow through on your vision not what the internet tells you is cool, correct or anything else.
If this was a matching numbers car there wouldn't be any question for me but this is a rescue and if there ever was a candidate for a restomod this car would be in that list . On the other hand I like the simple thought and that's what has me second guessing . Thanks nrbc7

Get notified of new replies

To (Poll) restomod or era correct 57 corvette

Old 05-01-2016, 08:26 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by nrbc7
Yes I checked on the gm crate engine 3 year I think 36,000 mile warranty for $1459. Not really looking for high horsepower mostly dependability plus add pertronix into the original distributor , only thing was the oil draft breather tube goes under the intake and exit thru intake and down the back of the engine anyone ever deal with this on a 350 crate engine other than eliminate it and do a pcv Also creates a problem using the original 7 fin aluminum valve covers plus the bolts are offset on the old heads compared to straight across on newer heads .
Lars built an engine that he put spacers between the valve cover and head the deals with both of those issues.
http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...-needed-2.html
I hope this helps give you some ideas.
The following users liked this post:
nrbc7 (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 08:50 AM
nrbc7
Racer

Originally Posted by Todd H.
It doesn't sound like you'll drive this car very much. In light of that, most mechanical upgrades are difficult to justify.

So it needs an engine, frame, and paint? Fairly complete otherwise? A 283 (548 blocks are still fairly easy to find) and a BW or Muncie 4 speed (skip the 3 speed) are pretty easy, too. If '57 correct stuff is available, get that, but don't let anyone gouge you too bad. Period-correct would due, except for the engine. Standard '57 brakes stop the car just fine, unless you're going to the track or you're going to run it fast a lot in very hot weather. The dual chamber master cylinder/front disc conversion is nice, but probably not necessary. Rebuild the stock suspension. Rebuild and use the stock steering. A '57 Corvette is a milestone car. If there's much of it left, it should be kept stock.

I know many of the guys on this forum love restomods. Even I like some of them. It's not much different than the guys that revised them when they were just a few years old; it's just today's version. But what about 5-10 years from now when engines and chassis set-ups are much better? Time for another update, I guess. And you could say "even if I don't update it again, it'll still run circles around your more or less stock '57." True. Good point.

Maybe it just comes down to what one appreciates about these old cars. For me it's the history. All of the things this car has been through, and all the memories created in it by it's previous owners. Things I don't even know about that make it cool. Even though my car is considerably different than it was when it left the factory, it's much the same as it was when it left the racetrack in about 1969. I wish there was another NCRS or car show class that was for "cars left the same as their owners made them 5-10 years after manufacture".

Maybe all of that is off topic, but my point is that while there is always room for different tastes in the Corvette hobby, there's a solid core that appreciates cars that are more or less stock... or at least "old school". Since you seem concerned about long term value, I think this is a good way to go. I know there are some big money guys into restomods right now, but there's still pretty good money in stock cars, too. And that appreciation has been around longer.
Yes this is a fairly complete car except original motor and transmission in fact it has a 65 283 2 brrl in it now with a best I can tell 68 model truck or Camaro 3 speed Saginaw with 57 bell housing so I have a lot of the components to rebuild the 57 283 engine that I've located . The transmission is the biggest and hardest to find missing pieces even though I did locate a 62 aluminum corvette tranny with shifter and crossmember on Craigslist just not sure about the fit and kinda holding out for a t 10 cast iron period correct . Anyone have information on a 57 or 58 t 10 that's priced reasonable ? Or would I be better off picking up the 62 at this point . I read something about the 62 crossmember being different is this true ?Thanks nrbc7
Old 05-01-2016, 11:07 AM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Here are a few pictures of a early 54 (vin003X) that I hot rodded years ago.
I bought it with a V8 in it and some the good stuff gone.
So I painted it silver anniversary colors, Hartz cloth top, black 62 seats and a California 305 V8.
All of the running gear and body was preserved just in case someone wanted to restore it to original. The guy I sold it to totally screwed it up. Painted it obnoxious yellow, white interior, big engine, etc. His body shop threw away the original shifter, the top flippers and other stuff.
But it was his car and he did it to suit his taste (or tastelessness).

So do it the way you want it, enjoy it and drive it a lot.

Bruce B

Name:  54, 57, etc 001.JPG
Views: 1181
Size:  275.8 KB

Name:  54, 57, etc 002.JPG
Views: 1126
Size:  273.8 KB

Last edited by ohiovet; 05-01-2016 at 11:10 AM.

Quick Reply: (Poll) restomod or era correct 57 corvette