C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

65/327/300 Atomic EFI

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 03:36 AM
Stgray65
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 65/327/300 Atomic EFI

hi guys, will make this short and accurate as much as I can. I had a Holley carb on my 65 327/300 coupe which I took off and replaced with MSD Atomic EFI. . Successfully installed the atomic and car ran strong but a constant stream of blueish smoke is coming from the tailpipe on the right side every time i got on the throttle. I thought I would start with the basics, timing is good and A/F ratio is in range. I'm suspecting one of three, easiest to the worst:

1. After inspection of the removed carb I found out that secondaries were not functioning god know for how long, not sure if this caused any damage to the engine or caused any sort of build up causing the smoke?
2. PCV/Ventilations set up, the breather hose in the back of the block is connected the block but not connected to the air cleaner on the other side, it is just open to atmosphere, I guess because new air cleaner didn't have a hole in it to connect. There is no vacuum line connected to the oil filler tube and valve covers are the smooth type with no holes in them. Could oil blow by be causing the smoke? but why one side of the exhaust only?
3. something more serious such as valve...etc.

I would love to post some pics but my kid threw my Iphone in the toilet! Appreciate any help/opinions!
Old 05-01-2016, 02:27 PM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,014 Likes on 578 Posts

Non functioning secondaries wouldnt hurt an engine but would limit perfomance.
Blue smoke is from oil getting into a cylinder(s) and getting burned with the air fuel mixture.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:53 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Stgray65
hi guys, will make this short and accurate as much as I can. I had a Holley carb on my 65 327/300 coupe which I took off and replaced with MSD Atomic EFI. . Successfully installed the atomic and car ran strong but a constant stream of blueish smoke is coming from the tailpipe on the right side every time i got on the throttle. I thought I would start with the basics, timing is good and A/F ratio is in range. I'm suspecting one of three, easiest to the worst:

1. After inspection of the removed carb I found out that secondaries were not functioning god know for how long, not sure if this caused any damage to the engine or caused any sort of build up causing the smoke?
2. PCV/Ventilations set up, the breather hose in the back of the block is connected the block but not connected to the air cleaner on the other side, it is just open to atmosphere, I guess because new air cleaner didn't have a hole in it to connect. There is no vacuum line connected to the oil filler tube and valve covers are the smooth type with no holes in them. Could oil blow by be causing the smoke? but why one side of the exhaust only?
3. something more serious such as valve...etc.

I would love to post some pics but my kid threw my Iphone in the toilet! Appreciate any help/opinions!

Did you do any other work while installing the Atomic? Did it smoke before? Did you replace the intake manifold?

Gerry
Old 05-01-2016, 03:31 PM
Stgray65
Cruising

Originally Posted by Mossy66
Did you do any other work while installing the Atomic? Did it smoke before? Did you replace the intake manifold?

Gerry
No I have not done anything else but install the atomic. It did not smoke before.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:50 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

if I remember correctly, the Atomic is pretty much a 'bolt-on'; how much trouble would it be to put the carburetor back on and see what happens?
Bill
Old 05-01-2016, 03:58 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I don't think it matters if it's running with the Atomic or a carb. Neither will cause one side to smoke, and not the other.

Hopefully nothing got dropped into the intake when the swap was made. I would pull the spark plugs on that side and see what they tell you.

Gerry
Old 05-02-2016, 04:36 AM
Stgray65
Cruising

Originally Posted by Mossy66
I don't think it matters if it's running with the Atomic or a carb. Neither will cause one side to smoke, and not the other.

Hopefully nothing got dropped into the intake when the swap was made. I would pull the spark plugs on that side and see what they tell you.

Gerry
Gerry, nothing was dropped in the intake. It was a straight forward easy install. I'm guessing the issue was there before the swap... it was just not as obvious since the carb was functioning at half potential. I did pull all the spark plugs out and they all look fine. I think I'm just gonna get the crankcase ventilation issue sorted first then take it to a shop for a deeper inspection.

Get notified of new replies

To 65/327/300 Atomic EFI

Quick Reply: 65/327/300 Atomic EFI