C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Calling on media blasting experts

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 10:49 AM
Brumbach
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Calling on media blasting experts

I need to have a metal body blasted. It has minor surface rust where paint is non-existing. For the most part, panels are flat. What is the media of choice and pressure to be used to avoid pitting and warping? The project is to be hired out locally but I wish to specify the process to avoid unnecessary damages to the body.

Thanks in advance.

Bill
Old 05-01-2016, 11:06 AM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by Brumbach
I need to have a metal body blasted. It has minor surface rust where paint is non-existing. For the most part, panels are flat. What is the media of choice and pressure to be used to avoid pitting and warping? The project is to be hired out locally but I wish to specify the process to avoid unnecessary damages to the body.

Thanks in advance.

Bill
> . . . maybe water? . . . instead of "media"?

http://www.blasters.net/
Old 05-01-2016, 11:13 AM
Old Vet
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I do media blasting and use a product from Dupont called StarBlast - but if some came to me & wanted me to use XYZ and I was using ABC - I wouldn't do the job as I recycle my media and wouldn't want to mix them.

Its not the media but how they use it - a person can damage the body by using incorrect process…..they need to move and not just blast a spot till they get the paint / rust off - heck they could blow a hole in the body panel very easily.

I also I don't like the "Dustless" blasting process as I had a competitor blast a fender for me and it left the piece very rough - my star blast leaves it baby smooth. Oh and I would not use soda blasting - just my thoughts

Good Luck
Old 05-01-2016, 11:49 AM
Brumbach
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Vet
I do media blasting and use a product from Dupont called StarBlast - but if some came to me & wanted me to use XYZ and I was using ABC - I wouldn't do the job as I recycle my media and wouldn't want to mix them.

Its not the media but how they use it - a person can damage the body by using incorrect process…..they need to move and not just blast a spot till they get the paint / rust off - heck they could blow a hole in the body panel very easily.

I also I don't like the "Dustless" blasting process as I had a competitor blast a fender for me and it left the piece very rough - my star blast leaves it baby smooth. Oh and I would not use soda blasting - just my thoughts

Good Luck
I see star blast comes in three grades. I assume selection depends on the condition of the surface that's being treated. If the body has original paint that's beginning to flake and surface rust where paint is absent, which grade would you use?
Old 05-01-2016, 11:53 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 276 Posts

I think the person you hire should be the expert who you consult with as they will be responsible for the result. The result is what matters to you, not how the contractor gets there. The result is a combination of equipment, media, and operator.

If its just surface rust, then maybe a light sanding is all that's needed. Any rust is a transformation of existing metal, so removing it will cause a pit in the substrate.
I have used starblast in my home blasting pot and it works well.
I've seen dustless water blasting (using crushed glass) do a very good job on metal, but heavily pit a C3 corvette body.
Just my 2 cents.

Get notified of new replies

To Calling on media blasting experts

Quick Reply: Calling on media blasting experts