C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need help on my L88 clone (with EFI) build

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 01:38 PM
BruZe06
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 55 Posts

Default Need help on my L88 clone (with EFI) build

I've been working on finishing up a C2 that I purchased last year and can't wait to at least get the engine fired up and take her down the road for the first time. When I purchased the car, the car didn't have anything in the interior but came with an excellent paint job with gorgeous fender flares, and a fully balanced and blueprinted BBC under an L88 hood setup. During the course of the last few months, I decided to swap out the Barry Grant carb w/ an EFI unit and ended up with pretty much what you see here...

With the Bow-tie nitrous block and forged internals, the engine should handle 900 HP easily but there's no room to add force induction easily under the L88 functioning hood. Want to keep the L88 cold air induction hood as much as possible, I started looking at nitrous systems and found the plate system to be easiest to install but would add too much height to the EFI throttle body and won't clear the hood while the port injected systems are complex and difficult to install and I have a feeling those nitrous nozzles sticking out in the middle of each air intake runners has got to impede airflow to some degree when nitrous is not being used which is most of the time. So I started thinking what if I could find a 2.5" or 3" dropped base to make up w/ the lost space taken up by the nitrous plate??? The issues now is the deepest drop base out there is the one L88 base that I already have so I wonder if there's anyone out there that do custom dropped bases? Or did any of you tried to run taller intake manifolds under the L88 hood and had to deal the same clearance issues? Any advise or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:51 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

Looks good, got any other pics of the Vette? Also, whose serpentine system did you use on the Bigblock?
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 05-01-2016, 03:12 PM
BruZe06
Racer

Thanks Mike, I have March Performance's Style Track serpentine system but the system definitely is not a plug and play type install. Machining was off, instructions were off, etc. but it wasn't easy to find a system that would clear the front cross member of the car.

Here's a picture of the car sitting next to my other '67.

Here's the tank before it went into the car...

Here's the interior with blue LED lights,

Old 05-01-2016, 03:40 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Universal Spinners makes some excellent drop base air cleaners.

JIM
Old 05-01-2016, 04:01 PM
Larry21556
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice. How did you route the passenger side tank strap. I am installing a new tank now and that strap goes right across the new fuel gauge sender unit. also I think that if you have a vented gas cap you wont need that roll over vent on the new pump (?).
Old 05-01-2016, 05:26 PM
Corkscrew
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What EFI unit did you install? I just ordered a FiTech and a Tanks, Inc for my '67!
Old 05-02-2016, 01:32 AM
BruZe06
Racer

Originally Posted by Larry21556
Very nice. How did you route the passenger side tank strap. I am installing a new tank now and that strap goes right across the new fuel gauge sender unit. also I think that if you have a vented gas cap you wont need that roll over vent on the new pump (?).
The Tanks Inc came with a C shape piece that fits over the sending unit and the strap goes right over that. But it was still a two person job to get the tank up there and it took us about 2 or 3 hours just to get it done right.
I wasn't sure if that one tiny hole in our gas cap was sufficient as vent as that one tiny hole wasn't designed for FI system w/ a return line back into the tank, so I went ahead and installed the breather vent w/ the roll over ball valve just to be safe.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:34 AM
BruZe06
Racer

Originally Posted by Corkscrew
What EFI unit did you install? I just ordered a FiTech and a Tanks, Inc for my '67!
We have the same setup. Mine is the Fitech Go EFI 4 Power Adder too and I'm using the factory fuel line as the return line back to the tank, this way I only need to run one new line (Summit Racing 3/8 braided SS line) from the tank to the engine bay. If you run into issues w/ the install or have questions, feel free to PM any time.
The following users liked this post:
Larry21556 (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 11:03 AM
Larry21556
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the help. I am installing the Fitech with Tanks Inc tomorrow and hadn't opened the strap package. I only have a 335 HP motor so I doubt I will have the fuel demands that you will. I will let you know how it works out with out the additional vent. Good tip on the fuel return line.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:08 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Don't do port nitrous, use central nitrous and gas nozzles in the middle of the floor of the intake under the T-body.

That just two nozzles in a single plane manifold and four nozzles in a dual plane manifold.

Doug
Old 05-03-2016, 01:38 AM
BruZe06
Racer

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Don't do port nitrous, use central nitrous and gas nozzles in the middle of the floor of the intake under the T-body.

That just two nozzles in a single plane manifold and four nozzles in a dual plane manifold.

Doug
Sorry for my ignorance Doug as I've never seen nitrous done the way you described it and yes it would then add nitrous to the system without adding height which is what I'm after. Where can I read more about the setup?
Old 05-03-2016, 11:35 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

That was the least expensive stealthy way to do it back in 1979.

Under the intake and fog into the bottom of the plenum.

Stealth individual port nitrous was for people that had more money.

I would just talk to any of your nitrous suppliers, though I am sure most of their applications are for port EFI now on modern cars, I am sure they have kit for it.

Doug

Doug
Originally Posted by BruZe06
Sorry for my ignorance Doug as I've never seen nitrous done the way you described it and yes it would then add nitrous to the system without adding height which is what I'm after. Where can I read more about the setup?
Old 05-03-2016, 11:39 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

If you are just trying to avoid height and not hide the NO2, you can go into the sides of the manifold underneath the T-body. Much easier installation that way.

The NO2 suppliers should have nozzles for either way I mentioned. They probably also have the lines and fitting you need. Hard Lines will have to be custom bent.

Doug
Old 05-03-2016, 11:54 AM
BruZe06
Racer

I also found this top of carb setup that may work without drilling into the intake manifold. It's great that there are so many options out there now vs back in 1987 when I had it on car. Here's what I'm talking about.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:55 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Dunno what you planned for wiring, but what i did, was:

I had a master on/off switch under the dash, a first gear lock out switch that kept the circuit from completing in first gear,and a TH400 kickdown switch for a '66 BB Impala that mounts to the carb base, so the system would only turn on in second of higher gear, and when the throttle was mashed to the floor.

You just cruised around with the system armed,a nd you didn't have to think about anything other than steering, shifting and flooring the loud pedal.

No shifter mounted buttons or anything.

Doug

Get notified of new replies

To Need help on my L88 clone (with EFI) build

Quick Reply: Need help on my L88 clone (with EFI) build