C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Paint questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 08:46 AM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

Default Paint questions

The nicer I make my car the more it seems i blur the line of where to stop. Most of my chrome is redone and my interior is new and now the weak area is some paint issues. I have a very nice paint job but I have a few issues because it's nearly 30 year old paint. My issue is a small crack in the deck lid, a small crack on the body between the trunk and deck lid and around the passengers door handle.

Also my hood has a small raised dimple but no crack. Is there any way to fix this with a dent repair guy or something? I didn't think fiberglass would do this but it's there.

So would I be crazy to have the issues addressed? The raised hood dimple bothers me the most but I don't know the best way to attack. The car is 1960.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:54 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,436 Likes on 738 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

If you are referring to PDR - paintless dent repair ?
No....
PDR is for metal body parts - steel or alum.
If you have a crack - typically there is something under the paint in the substrate or body creating or causing the crack - typical but not always.
30 year old paint can have shrinkage issues........another possiblity
The raised dimple - same thing - there is something - under the paint causing the dimple

Fix ? - remove the paint and see what is underneath....
Hope this helps
Old 05-04-2016, 08:59 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default More years behind you than in front

Originally Posted by jasonsamara
The nicer I make my car the more it seems i blur the line of where to stop. Most of my chrome is redone and my interior is new and now the weak area is some paint issues. I have a very nice paint job but I have a few issues because it's nearly 30 year old paint. My issue is a small crack in the deck lid, a small crack on the body between the trunk and deck lid and around the passengers door handle.

Also my hood has a small raised dimple but no crack. Is there any way to fix this with a dent repair guy or something? I didn't think fiberglass would do this but it's there.

So would I be crazy to have the issues addressed? The raised hood dimple bothers me the most but I don't know the best way to attack. The car is 1960.
Hi, it depends on what you enjoy. If you like to polish ans stare at your car in the garage......fix it all till you are afraid to move it....

or Drive it and enjoy it.....stones will fly... dust...dirt.....these cars were made to drive...and be seen on the road....

300,000 miles later, plus 47 years of dirt, dust , repairs and I am still smiling and enjoying my ride...

So it is up to you.....

Jack
Old 05-04-2016, 09:04 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

PDR won't work on fiberglass but it can be an amazing fix for steel-bodied cars.
A raised dimple on your hood could be a case of somebody closing the hood and hitting an air cleaner stud or other object; prob best to leave it alone....it might be a candidate for careful wet sanding but if you go through the paint -- you're done; bad news.

Cracks are pretty typical and can be fixed depending on how much effort you want to take. A case of making it worse before it gets better... Might be best to just drive the car until you're ready for a complete respray.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:42 AM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackfit
Hi, it depends on what you enjoy. If you like to polish ans stare at your car in the garage......fix it all till you are afraid to move it....

or Drive it and enjoy it.....stones will fly... dust...dirt.....these cars were made to drive...and be seen on the road....

300,000 miles later, plus 47 years of dirt, dust , repairs and I am still smiling and enjoying my ride...

So it is up to you.....

Jack
It's not a trailer queen, but a driver car. Maybe not to the extent your car is driven though. I look forward to meeting you in August because we are both on the Carlisle 50 display.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint questions

Quick Reply: Paint questions