C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

wiring problem

Old 05-06-2016, 11:51 AM
colo69
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default wiring problem

I have been building my 65 coupe and just got all the wiring in place (all new wiring). The brake lights work only on the right side and the right turn signal works, nothing on the left. Head lights go up and on and the park lights turn on, also both rear drive lights work. Could it be a ground wire?
Old 05-06-2016, 03:14 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Originally Posted by colo69
I have been building my 65 coupe and just got all the wiring in place (all new wiring). The brake lights work only on the right side and the right turn signal works, nothing on the left. Head lights go up and on and the park lights turn on, also both rear drive lights work. Could it be a ground wire?
No, it cannot be a grounded wire. It could be a missing ground, a grounded wire would blow the brake light fuse.
The left turn signal and brake light filaments both come out of the turn signal on the same yellow wire (one wire does both). The problem you describe can be in the connector (curved one) in the steering column for the turn signals, or in the yellow wire from there to the rear body connector under the driver's side dash. It goes through that connector back to the back and connects to the connector for the brake and turn signal filament (still on the yellow wire).
If that left side bulb socket isn't grounded via the black wire that goes over to the other side black wires (and the license plate black light black wire) then no lights would work on the left side and you say the running lights work. It sounds like your problem may be at the connector at the base of the steering problem. Either the yellow wire isn't fully seated into the connector, the connector pin is bent, or it's wired with the yellow wire in the wrong slot (both sides of that connector's yellow wires should be in line so the connect when the plug is pushed in).
Another possibility is inside the turn signal switch. There are contacts that switch between brake and turn signals on that yellow wire, the contacts could be broken or bent. If you take a voltmeter and measure that yellow wire at the connector you should have 12v on both sides of the connector on the yellow wire (with the ground lead of the meter on a KNOWN good ground). If you do, move on to the rear body connector and measure for 12v there. (If you don't, it's not coming out of the turn signal switch). If you do, then move to the rear and check for 12v on the contact in the bulb socket where the yellow wire connects. All these measurements need to be made with the brake pedal pressed to supply the voltage to that yellow wire.
In summary, your problem will be in the yellow wire circuit between the turn signal and the bulb contact. Make sure you have the correct bulbs in the correct socket and oriented correctly before starting any of this.

Since the same filament works the turn signal and brake light for that side, I'd make real sure about the bulb being good and in correctly first thing.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 05-06-2016 at 03:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
colo69 (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 03:48 PM
colo69
Instructor

Default wiring

Thanks,
Wow, you really know this wiring. First i did have trouble with the steering turn signal, i thought it was all fixed. All the bulbs are new. Now do i have to pull the dash back out to pull out the steering, or do i need a puller and go from the seat side? I went into the steering from below before, because i did a complete rebuild.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:48 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

You shouldn't have to pull anything out. Since neither the brake or turn signal on that side work I fee pretty sure you have a bad connection in the rear body connector, which is accessible under the dash, the turn signal connector, which is accessible under the dash (not easily), or a broken yellow wire from the body connector to the rear. Here's a wiring diagram to follow the trail for where you're missing a connection. It's possible you may need to repair or replace the turn signal switch.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:09 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Zoom in and look at the 4 red arrows, that's the path you need to check. If you don't have 12v on the yellow wire coming out of the turn signal with the brake on, you can stop there and concentrate on the turn signal switch.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:14 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Thanks,
Wow, you really know this wiring.
He does indeed. I generally drop out of threads trying to help people out when he wades in as I know he'll get folks straight, quicker and better than I can.

I wish more folks would just follow his advice than get ping-ponged around with a lot of unrelated help from wannabes...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-07-2016 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:12 PM
colo69
Instructor

65ggvert ,i sent you a pm.

Last edited by colo69; 05-07-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:49 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

The turn signal switch connector uses terminals as shown in the picture below. If the switch was replaced at some time it would have been necessary to remove these terminals from the connector. To do so, you have to flatten the locking tabs. If they are not bent back up they won't hold in the connector.

The connector that goes to the rear of the car uses a different terminal, but still has that locking tab.

Attached Images  
colo69 (05-08-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 09:00 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

65ggvert ,i sent you a pm.
Replied
colo69 (05-07-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 12:24 AM
colo69
Instructor

Default wiring

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Replied
Again many thanks, it was a problem in the turn signal switch, i followed your advise regarding the yellow wire on the steering, it had no 12v. So i took the steering out of the car and found out that when i replaced the broken cancelling cam the copper electrical connections that the cam operates within, was replaced back in the wrong location (one side had slip out, and was put back in so that the switch would not work). Your advise saved me time and money! Thanks
Old 05-08-2016, 12:32 AM
colo69
Instructor

[QUOTE=buns;1592164715]The turn signal switch connector uses terminals as shown in the picture below. If the switch was replaced at some time it would have been necessary to remove these terminals from the connector. To do so, you have to flatten the locking tabs. If they are not bent back up they won't hold in the connector.

The connector that goes to the rear of the car uses a different terminal, but still has that locking tab.

Thanks, You are so right! that is good advice for all of those type connections. My connection did fit on tight, but if i have trouble i will check it first. I have already put the steering together.

Get notified of new replies

To wiring problem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wiring problem