C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help with 63 find

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 03:51 PM
Phil310
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with 63 find

We just moved my FIL into assisted living and he has a 63 convertible that he last drove in 1988. I need help with pricing it to sell it. I have been reading some of your posts, so here is some info. I am 99% sure the engine doesn't match the vin. It is red with red interior. Some of the paint has cracks. The top is white. The tires are nylon lol but have held some of the air as I towed it to my house.
I washed it gently and it looks much better, but haven't tried to start it. I live in Oklahoma. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks! John

Old 05-06-2016, 08:24 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Power brakes, that's nice. Check the number on the passenger side pad in front of the head and verify if the block is right or not. A picture of the trim tag and VIN tag could tell us a lot, too.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:04 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

It looks like it would be a presentable driver with some clean up. Getting it running will definitely increase the value. Assuming non-original engine, no frame or birdcage rust, and running/drivable, I would put the value in the high $20Ks to low $30Ks.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:46 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 276 Posts

I removed my post as it was not within forum policy, carry on.

Last edited by Ken Sungela; 05-07-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:58 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

To the OP- please keep in mind the following:

The thread was moved from Cars For Sale to General discussion because the car is not yet for sale, there's no asking price provided and you are not allowed to sell cars that you do not own without prior Administrative approval.

If you decide to sell the car on the forum, please PM an Administrator to obtain approval first. At that time you can place an ad thread in the C1/2 Cars For Sale section, with an asking price listed.

Please keep the conversation in this thread to determining a price / value and do not conduct sales here. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:08 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Clean it up and get it running and you'll send it into the mid-to-high $30K area; possibly more with an original motor if that turns out to be the case. A good C2 body is worth $20K-$25K to restomodders and then the one-year-63-only parts are worth a ton...that power brake booster is worth into the 4 digits, dash cluster, shifter console/extensions, hood cookie metal "cookie sheets", I'd give you $350 for the dash clock right now, lots of other stuff...

Get your information straight on value before proceeding.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:22 AM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,008 Likes on 573 Posts

Well geeez wht does your FIL have to say about the value??
Unless he is suffering from dementia he probably has an idea of what HE WANTS....................
It will be smart to get a qualified person to get it running well and cleaned up.
Dont get lowballed. It is worth a min of 45K once running well and without major defects.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:25 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Post some more pictures when you can - particularly of the underside and the chassis. Even with NOM it looks like a very nice, complete 63 from the original pictures. Finding someone to help you get it started would probably add considerable value to it (provided it runs OK). I would start by pulling the plugs and squirting some penetrating oil (not WD40) liberally inside to start with. Then after a few days to a week, try to turn the engine over by hand with the crankshaft bolt (provided it has one) and if not, then by putting it in 4th gear and rolling the whole car back and forth. You can leave the plugs out to make this a little easier. Need to look down into the fuel tank also and see what that situation looks like. Corvettes don't have a drain plug on the tank but their is a section of rubber hose from the tank to the fuel line that can be removed or cut to drain it. The hose should need replacing anyway. If it seems loose then change the oil and filter, install new plugs, put a battery in it, add some fresh gas and see what happens. If the car is not rusted out underneath and it is up and running then it should have considerable value. There would still be some potential cost in getting it up into 100% running condition (possible brake work, complete tune up, some electrical issues (firewall connections are usually a problem), carb rebuild, etc - so I would consider that in setting your price. Good luck.

Last edited by DansYellow66; 05-07-2016 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:56 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil310
We just moved my FIL into assisted living and he has a 63 convertible that he last drove in 1988. I need help with pricing it to sell it. I have been reading some of your posts, so here is some info. I am 99% sure the engine doesn't match the vin. It is red with red interior. Some of the paint has cracks. The top is white. The tires are nylon lol but have held some of the air as I towed it to my house.
I washed it gently and it looks much better, but haven't tried to start it. I live in Oklahoma. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks! John

Could be a 340 Corvette no power steering also has high HP tack reading
Old 05-07-2016, 08:05 AM
Phil310
Intermediate

Thanks so much! My FIL is pretty discouraged from the move into assisted living and doesn't want to mess with it. He was a true hoarder and we are cleaning his house. The car also reminds him of when his wife died...these things have a lot of sentimental pull on him. I don't know anything about this (like what is a birdcage?) but do have a good mechanic. So I guess I'll tow the car to him and have him get it running. I'll post some more pics later today. Thanks again so much. All info is so helpful, don't assume I know anything :-) Great to meet you guys. Sorry I posted in the wrong place.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:41 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil310
Thanks so much! My FIL is pretty discouraged from the move into assisted living and doesn't want to mess with it. He was a true hoarder and we are cleaning his house. The car also reminds him of when his wife died...these things have a lot of sentimental pull on him. I don't know anything about this (like what is a birdcage?) but do have a good mechanic. So I guess I'll tow the car to him and have him get it running. I'll post some more pics later today. Thanks again so much. All info is so helpful, don't assume I know anything :-) Great to meet you guys. Sorry I posted in the wrong place.
As you are cleaning up, especially in the garage, be on the look out for some of the original items that might belong to the car and are not on it. Things like the air cleaner, the ignition shielding, a radio side panel or anything that looks like it may have come from the Corvette. All of these items will add value to the sale of the car, even if not installed.

Air cleaner assembly.

Ignition shielding (some may be there, but some are missing).

Radio side panel (left side of the console is missing).

Anything else that looks like it might belong and you're not sure, just post a picture of the item and ask. Looking at how original the car appears, I think it's safe to say your FIL likely kept stuff like that around.

It also appears that it may have had a hardtop at one time, so be sure to look for that, although it shouldn't be hard to spot.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 05-07-2016, 09:03 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

It also might help to post a picture of the trim tag and vin tag that is attached to a steel bar under the glove box. That will tell us what the original colors were. Also if you can post all the numbers on the engine so we can decode that. The more we know the more we can help
Old 05-07-2016, 09:09 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Even if you get the engine running, don't neglect the brakes - they are old drum brakes and will absolutely need attention - a complete 'redo' most likely. I did my '63 brakes when it came out of storage with about $250 of NAPA parts - you don't have to crazy with stuff - just make it safe...
Old 05-07-2016, 10:03 AM
Elba Mike
Safety Car

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Keep your eyes open for any paperwork relating to the car. And I mean any paperwork, shop manuals, receipts, bill of sale, any and all. People like to know as much history as they can on these cars. A receipt for oil and oil filter may be desired, as it creates a paper trail. Put enough receipts together and you've got a maintenance record. Nothing is trash if it relates to the car.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:45 AM
71scgc
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

Lots of really good advice here. I would add:

Don't be in a hurry to sell.

Where in OK are you? There are several forum members there that could help with your inspections. A few would also be buyers for this, as it is a very nice car in a condition that lends itself to a gentle restoration.

Don't do anything to the patina of the car! Patina is way "in" right now.

Save EVERYTHING related to the car, as mentioned above. Even mundane stuff like receipts. Old car people LOVE this kinda stuff.

Have you thought of keeping it yourself? You too could become a part of this mutant society of Corvette devotees! I know that doesn't sound too inviting...

There's a lot of history there. Try to find out everything from your popinlaw you can. Try to slant your questions positively if discussing the car pains him. Might try keeping it to answering the Q's here, instead of the personal things that connect back to your MIL.

The more you can find out about the car the better off you'll be come sell time.

Have you thought about keeping it yourself? There's no way I could sell a car like that...

Keep us in the loop, and please, if you sell, sell to an enthusiast, not a dealer or flipper.

Carter
Old 05-07-2016, 11:30 AM
desertpilgrim
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Oklahoma has a very active Chapter of the National Corvette Restorer's Society. It's current chairman and contact person is Kelly Bolton of Tulsa - 918-970-6877 or kellybolton@***.net. Whereever you are in Oklahoma, he should be able to put you in touch with someone who can help. Red/Red 340HP convertibles are worth saving.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:24 PM
Phil310
Intermediate

Default Pictures

Here are some pics. I used a flash on some. I don't know anything about cars...looks rusted on some parts and I wonder if it has been repainted or just touched up. This is a true mystery as FIL doesn't know the history before he bought it in like 82 or 83.

hood

looking down in front of engine

hood

looking down into engine compartment from right front of car

Get notified of new replies

To Help with 63 find

Old 05-07-2016, 01:35 PM
Phil310
Intermediate

Engine pics...these with numbers:

Old 05-07-2016, 01:50 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

The trim plate has the vin stamped into it I have never seen that before ,someone will chime in to help me on that one. Could be convertible stuff ,or St Louis body
Was there another tag next to this on called the vin tag . also get picture of right front of
engine right below valve cover numbers that will tell us about engine and originality.
Rust could be surface only you would have to look under kick panels for birdcage condition. To be sure .
Old 05-07-2016, 01:54 PM
Phil310
Intermediate

Thank you. I'll look for the tag. What's a kick panel? (yes seriously

Quick Reply: Help with 63 find