C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

shock mount removal , strut rod bushings

Old 09-06-2002, 04:56 PM
64BB
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shock mount removal , strut rod bushings

well, it's finished, and i did not have to destroy any old parts.
remove upper shock bolt; relieve air pressure in air shock; remove lower shock bolt; pull shocsk away [needed gear puller because shock bushing was rusted to shock mount]; use nut splitter to remove castle nut from shock mount; use torch and hacksaw blade to remove all of the old bushing that is between the strut rod and the forks of the spindle bearing housing; attach two arm 4 inch gear puller to the front edge of the strut rod; use the puller to pull the rod back until it "bottoms" against the fork; keep going [it may be necessary to use a hammer on the puller]; remove shock mount [takes only a few minutes]; remove strut rod; lower the strut rod bracket; pound out the rusted cam bolts; use a hammer and crowbar to straighten the bent strut rods; soak everythin in degreaser and then in acid [rust!]; push in the new poly bushings [very easy]; line up rods and forks; insert the shock mount [coated with anti seize]; DO NOT TIGHTEN YET; put 4 6 inch lengths of threaded rod into the carrier housing [this will help line up the bracket]; slightly drill out the 4 holes in the carrier oversize [about 1/32 inch]; slide carrier up the 4 rods; slip strut rods into carrier; insert cam bolts etc]; use jack to push up the rod carrier [it slides into perfect position; replace rods with bolts, one at a time; tighten everything; use jack to raise car to insert upper shock bolts;
go soak yourself in degreser; get drunk! :smash:
Old 09-06-2002, 05:37 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Default Re: shock mount removal , strut rod bushings (64BB)

A job well done! :cheers:
Old 09-06-2002, 05:38 PM
achapman
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: shock mount removal , strut rod bushings (64BB)

Whew.... sounds like you had your workout for the day... er... week... er... month!!! but you gotta do this to keep those treasures runnin'..... :smash:

Make sure you don't get drunk and fall in the degreaser... :lol:

Well done lad.... :cheers:
Old 09-07-2002, 11:26 AM
64BB
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: shock mount removal , strut rod bushings (achapman)

i knew i was in trouble when i had to drill out the rusty cotter pins!! shoulda quit there.
as for the beer and degreaser, i thought they were one and the same!! taste alike.

Get notified of new replies

To shock mount removal , strut rod bushings

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: shock mount removal , strut rod bushings