C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] pertronix 1181 install in 1965 327

Old 05-08-2016, 10:46 PM
easyriderknucklehead
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default pertronix 1181 install in 1965 327

I just bought the 1181 pertronix kit and was hoping I get get some help on installation. I read some other thread on some who have used pertronix and for it and others who swear by points but me being terrible with setting points and recently had them close too much and had a miss fire in # 1 cylinder and spent hours figuring it out am just up for some thing maintenance free I (hope) So I just wonder if the spark plug gap is to change from .035 to .045 or is that just for msd electronic ignition. Should I get rid of my auto lite 303 spark plugs and use a a c delco 44 and are they a short ( 303 in my car has a short thread to not hit valves ?)
Also I saw something on google about a gap setting on the 1181 pertronix on the distributor and they had to on a car use shims and pull the distributor out etc. I have a distributor on my car with the cap that has a door to set the ponts screw and a coupler for the rpm tach and cable set up.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:53 AM
HilltopClassicCars
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Keep the same spark plugs and leave the gap at .035"

Ideal distributor shaft end play should be .015" regardless of what's inside the distributor. If you have a considerably greater amount of end play, it would be worthwhile to remove the distributor, remove the drive gear and add shims to get as close to but no closer than .015" total end play.
The following users liked this post:
easyriderknucklehead (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 02:51 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Follow the Pertronix installation instructions; leave the same plugs in the car and gap them at .035. You don't have to shim anything with the 1181.... If your points were working the new unit should work too.

Just screw it in and connect the wires per the instructions and go...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-09-2016 at 03:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
easyriderknucklehead (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 02:10 PM
easyriderknucklehead
Racer

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Follow the Pertronix installation instructions; leave the same plugs in the car and gap them at .035. You don't have to shim anything with the 1181.... If your points were working the new unit should work too.

Just screw it in and connect the wires per the instructions and go...

I read the pro s and con s on another thread involving you and another member who swears by the points (and said if not broken fix it and he enjoys setting them) it was hilarious I guess some guys just can t accept new technology . Keep up the great work.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:17 PM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

You'll be happy with the pertronix. I've had the original igniter in my car for 16 yrs, not one problem.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:58 PM
kingwoodvette
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Default Lectric Limited Breakerless ignition

I have this system on my '63 and have wondered why it receives so little attention whenever arguments start about standard point versus electronic.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:26 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by kingwoodvette
I have this system on my '63 and have wondered why it receives so little attention whenever arguments start about standard point versus electronic.
I also now run that in my '63 (but Pertronix in the '61). They are both very nice...the Breakerless SE system though keeps the ballast resistor and stock coil has no add'l wires and is truly undetectable. Mine passed judging just fine The newest Pertronix has a rev limiter feature which is nice (the Breakerless SE does not).

And, yes the electronic conversion vs points debate never ends and there are zealots on both sides...

A Pertronix will increase your physical stamina, help you exercise longer and enhance your performance in the bedroom

I know of at least one highly-regarded engineer that has used the Pertronix to replace dilithium crystals....
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-09-2016 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:28 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Probably because most of the "help me, help me, my car won't start" threads have Pertronix conversions in them.

You never hear about the others because they either:

a) don't sell enough of them to be a factor

b) don't cause problems
Old 05-09-2016, 04:56 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Most of the failures I've seen where improper installations, abuse, or, those chessy Flamethrower coils....that's Pertronix BTW...

Almost nothing about the Breakerless system, or, the Mallory Unilite...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-09-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:23 PM
kingwoodvette
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

[QUOTE=Frankie the Fink;1592177737]I also now run that in my '63 (but Pertronix in the '61). They are both very nice...the Breakerless SE system though keeps the ballast resistor and stock coil has no add'l wires and is truly undetectable. Mine passed judging just fine

That single wire connection and retaining the original external look with coil and ballast were some of things that attracted me to it early on when I thought such things were important NOM car. Ive had it about 5 years and it has been absolutely trouble free. its also a little pricey compared to Pertronix I & II.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:23 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by easyriderknucklehead
I read the pro s and con s on another thread involving you and another member who swears by the points (and said if not broken fix it and he enjoys setting them) it was hilarious I guess some guys just can t accept new technology . Keep up the great work.
I accept new technology just fine. if you love new tech so much then you bought the wrong car. the C7 gen section is up a few more
Old 05-09-2016, 07:05 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Soooooo.....all those folks adding disc brakes to C1s and early midyears bought the wrong cars ? Who knew ?
Old 05-09-2016, 07:09 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

................radial tires....
Old 05-09-2016, 07:14 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,026 Likes on 1,249 Posts

The SE Breakless Ignition received a lot of attention from me after it was installed correctly in my 67 but was the cause of the only two times my car had had to be towed. Points forever!

Old 05-09-2016, 07:45 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Soooooo.....all those folks adding disc brakes to C1s and early midyears bought the wrong cars ? Who knew ?
Disk brakes and radial tires are safety items that's all I am going to contribute to this post as any more just baits other people's traps
Old 05-09-2016, 07:49 PM
easyriderknucklehead
Racer

I installed it today myself and like under and hour super easy didn t even pull the distributor out. it started right up ,I think maybe check the timing again and hopefully I won t have to go through what I went through last week again. I had no spark in #1 cylinder -the points were closed too much after a mechanic just set them 2 weeks earlier. I messed around for hours and had to open them up to get #1 firing. I was so pissed off after checking to see the lobe on the distributor shaft wasn t worn etc. I guess with the pertronix I won t have to worry about that or putting the grease on the lobes where the points contact anymore and that itself is great news. I don t know if that lobe was even worn down and don t care as long as I am running on all 8 and not stalling. I will keep the old points as back up. Glad to hear some of you have had no trouble with the new set up and its reliable and maintenance free . I can invest that extra time on waxing.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:08 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

If you have mysterious failures, purportedly from a historically reliable bit of solid-state technology (a Hall cell), and have lost faith in it -- then, by all means, run points.

Get notified of new replies

To pertronix 1181 install in 1965 327

Old 05-10-2016, 10:02 AM
HilltopClassicCars
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've been running a Pertronix Ignitor III for three years in one of my vehicles, chose it for the rev limiter feature. This Pertronix system replaced an MSD 6AL and billet distributor which had the common rust inside the distributor problem. The MSD multi-sparked from an idle up into the mid rpm's then single spark from there on up. The Ignitor III multi-sparks all the way up to 10k rpm's (higher than it will ever go for me). I took an old OEM points distributor, went through it, shimmed the end play then installed the Pertronix module. It starts and idles better than the old MSD system and the ugly red box is no more. System has been operating flawlessly since installation. I did wire a separate relay controlled power line to the distributor and coil to make sure it had all the power it required (7 amps for the Ignitor III system according to Pertronix tech support). Most of the failures I've read about were related to incorrect installations and/or incorrect power supplied to the Pertronix components. I think you'll be happy with the Pertronix instead of the old points EasyRiderKnucklehead, enjoy the wax-on, wax-off now that you'll have more time for it!
Old 05-10-2016, 11:16 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Most of the failures I've seen where improper installations, abuse, or, those chessy Flamethrower coils....that's Pertronix BTW...

Almost nothing about the Breakerless system, or, the Mallory Unilite...
Now wait one gosh darn, stinkin minute. I resemble your comment about "chessy" Flammethrower coils. I have one of them there cheesy curls on MY engine, and it has been no problem. I never start the car.

Take my wife.............please!

No, but seriously folks, I have the cheesy Flamethrower (alas, I removed the stinkin' label out of embarrassment and disgust), along with that "widget" known as a Pertronix II .......................AND.............. ...........dare I admit it...........a magic "BOX" of some sort, called a MSD 6AL. Been there for 5 years of severe duty. No more points bounce at 6500 RPM. Haven't replaced plugs or even looked at them in 5 years, whereas before was fouling them and misfire galore. Routinely take the engine up to 7500 RPM and smooth as silk with no farts, burps or hiccoughs.

Maybe I made the mistake of installing everything correctly. I dunno.

Yeah, pilgrim, I do gotta set the rev limiter that's part of the magic box, otherwise the thing would rev to the moon and back before grenading.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 05-10-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:44 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

It is my understanding that the newer batch of Flamethrower coils are OK; previous versions were trouble - many reported failures.... I just lost faith in them...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [C2] pertronix 1181 install in 1965 327