C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] 66 w/o AC blower motor & switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 05:01 PM
drgerber
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 66 w/o AC blower motor & switch

Need help/advice on blower motor and switch. Started testing and had nothing. Checked power and grounds to motor. Still nothing. Removed blower motor, cleaned it up a little, cleaned the area where the main ground mates through one of the mounting screws, and hooked motor up direct to battery. Motor runs great. Cleaned all connectors, reinstalled motor.
I have low speed, in the medium speed detent, have high speed where the switch tugs a little between the medium and high detent. Have nothing in the low speed detent. Have nothing in the high speed detent.
My question: is this a bad switch/cable, or is this a bad or damaged resistor? Replacing cable looks like a pain. Replacing resistor also looks like a pain. Hoping you have some guidance on how to test or diagnose this crazy blower speed problem.
drgerber
Old 05-10-2016, 05:21 PM
raylag64
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Heater vResistor Testing

First disconnect the ground and power lead to the fan. If you remove the three prong plug from the back of the switch, with an ohm meter on it's lowest setting, you should read about 1.8 ohms from the prong on the driver's side (black/light blue) to either of the others. Then from the center one to the one on the passenger side, you should read about 3.6 ohms. My combinations could be off, but any combination should have these low readings. Only if you see an open is the resistor bad.

Ray

By your explanation of the switch not making contact at the detents, leads me to believe the switch is getting tired.

Last edited by raylag64; 05-10-2016 at 05:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
drgerber (05-10-2016)

Quick Reply: [C2] 66 w/o AC blower motor & switch