C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] what bolt pattern can i use on 1965

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 03:23 PM
easyriderknucklehead
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default what bolt pattern can i use on 1965

hi I was wondering what size wheels I can shop for on my 1965 c2 with 5 bolt and it has 235 60 15 on it. I am wondering like is it 4.5 x 5 and stuff like how much clearance in rear to clear brakes and what is the widest tire without rubbing. I noticed some c6 wheels for sale but maybe too big and wide to fit, I am thinking weld racing rims or something .
anybody got pictures of their sexy wheels on a c2 to look at.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:45 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

All mid year bolt pattern is 5 lugs by 4 3/4 thinking the back spacing is 4 1/4 I'm sure all this is in the tire and wheel sticky
The following users liked this post:
easyriderknucklehead (05-15-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 09:42 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

The 1967 15" X 6" wide rally wheel (and all 6" alloy knock-off's) use 3 1/2" backspacing, and will fit your car perfectly.

1968 7" rally's used 3 3/4" backspacing. These will typically fit on the mid years. Sometimes with the rear in the air and wheels hanging free, the end of the spring will touch the rim or tire sidewall. With the tires/wheels on the ground you should have adequate clearance to use them, but check.

1969 and up used the 8" wide rally's with 4" of backspacing. With these, you are very likely going to have some type of clearance issue, especially if you have stock fenders. Clearance on the inside will probably be an issue unless you move the parking brake retainer to the top of the rear control arm from the side.

With larger diameter wheels, 17", 18" you're just going to have to check. I have a friend with a stock '63 who's running 18" X 8" wheels (unknown backspacing) and hasn't had any clearance issues.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 05-25-2016, 10:51 PM
easyriderknucklehead
Racer

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
The 1967 15" X 6" wide rally wheel (and all 6" alloy knock-off's) use 3 1/2" backspacing, and will fit your car perfectly.

1968 7" rally's used 3 3/4" backspacing. These will typically fit on the mid years. Sometimes with the rear in the air and wheels hanging free, the end of the spring will touch the rim or tire sidewall. With the tires/wheels on the ground you should have adequate clearance to use them, but check.

1969 and up used the 8" wide rally's with 4" of backspacing. With these, you are very likely going to have some type of clearance issue, especially if you have stock fenders. Clearance on the inside will probably be an issue unless you move the parking brake retainer to the top of the rear control arm from the side.

With larger diameter wheels, 17", 18" you're just going to have to check. I have a friend with a stock '63 who's running 18" X 8" wheels (unknown backspacing) and hasn't had any clearance issues.

Good luck... GUSTO

that's some good usefull info thanks . I have these ugly aluminum 5 slot rims on mine right now with 235 60 15 tires and the calipers barely clear and on the front with the wheels turned all the way I can not even get my finger in between the tire and inner fender /firewall . I think the tires are too wide for the front and clearly I think the last owner at some time bottom out on the front fenders. (there is a crack on right side fiberglass and on the left the lip is broken. gonna take some work to repair that and get that lip back I think. (its about 2-3 inches length across
Old 05-25-2016, 10:53 PM
easyriderknucklehead
Racer

Originally Posted by GUSTO14

Good luck... GUSTO

I am looking for some draglite Weld racing rims maybe 6 inch front and try 7 in rear or larger if possible. as long as they tuck inside no matter how much air I get .
Old 05-30-2016, 10:29 PM
easyriderknucklehead
Racer

I found some weld wheels for sale 15x8 and 5 1/2 backspacing and the guy has mickey Thomson 275 -50 -15 on them. I don t know if this will work and need assistance. the bolt pattern is o k 4 3/4 and uni lug . I tried the tire calculator and lost there? I am wondering how I can check exactly what the backspacing is . I think the space from frame to tire before rubbing.,But I must have to measure rim to frame or what??

Last edited by easyriderknucklehead; 05-30-2016 at 10:33 PM. Reason: add info
Old 05-31-2016, 07:11 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by easyriderknucklehead
I found some weld wheels for sale 15x8 and 5 1/2 backspacing and the guy has mickey Thomson 275 -50 -15 on them. I don t know if this will work and need assistance. the bolt pattern is o k 4 3/4 and uni lug . I tried the tire calculator and lost there? I am wondering how I can check exactly what the backspacing is . I think the space from frame to tire before rubbing.,But I must have to measure rim to frame or what??
A wheel with a 5 1/2" backspacing is not going to fit. As Gusto said, wheels originally installed on mid-years had 3 1/2" backspacing, and 3 3/4" to 4" is about the maximum you can use without modifications. A wheel with 5 1/2" backspacing will require offset trailing arms, to fit.

You need to stay with a wheel with a backspacing of no more than 4", and preferably 3 3/4", unless you plan to make modifications to your suspension/trailing arms.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:34 PM
easyriderknucklehead
Racer

Originally Posted by gbvette62
A wheel with a 5 1/2" backspacing is not going to fit. As Gusto said, wheels originally installed on mid-years had 3 1/2" backspacing, and 3 3/4" to 4" is about the maximum you can use without modifications. A wheel with 5 1/2" backspacing will require offset trailing arms, to fit.

You need to stay with a wheel with a backspacing of no more than 4", and preferably 3 3/4", unless you plan to make modifications to your suspension/trailing arms.

oh o k thanks I had my doughts ,too bad would have looked nice with those wheels.

Get notified of new replies

To what bolt pattern can i use on 1965

Quick Reply: [C2] what bolt pattern can i use on 1965