C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What is your buying strategy on a car not for sale?

Old 05-18-2016, 08:23 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

Default What is your buying strategy on a car not for sale?

I know we all see on tv Richard Rawlings and those types buy car after car and I know it's probably 90% staged, but I'm sure people do it all the time.

What is your strategy?

The reason I ask is I found a NOM BB 66 that is very nice in Jan. and the guy mentioned he might sell it. Well that was like blood in the water and I jumped on it, but he took my number and never called. I waited a few weeks and stopped again and he said he was going to get it out and drive it again. I figured I'm working the wrong direction on this one, but kept going with it. I stopped today and asked him about it and he still said no, but he hasn't got it out yet either. I figured I had nothing to lose so I asked him is there a number that would buy the car? He said he didn't know what it is worth. So as I was leaving I threw out a number and he kind of had a look to him and then he said that the number I said was the number he was thinking. So I didn't insult him and it sounds like I have hit all the marks so far, but now I must wait and wait. I have pulled 2 deals off on cars that were not for sale before, but each person is different of course. I figure I will give it a month and stop back again. I don't want to push to hard, but I don't want to back away to far, and that line is blurry sometimes.

It will not quit raining! and I'm bored and thought this might be a good conversation?
Old 05-18-2016, 08:30 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Persistence without being a pest. It's a fine line, and frustrating. I have a friend on this forum who's been trying to get a really special car for the past year, with no luck so far. I usually give up myself, being an impatient sort of guy!
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

Sounds like you both have the right number in mind, but leave him alone now like you said, give him some time to stew on it.
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 549 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I have been after a 63 split for over two years now and after many phone conversations, that went nowhere, I finally hand wrote a letter stating that I would give the car a good home, not going to sell it and I would love to purchase it.
I left my contact info and I am hoping for the best.
Joe

Last edited by plaidside; 05-19-2016 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Added Picture
Old 05-18-2016, 08:33 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,266 Likes on 507 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

Some cars are genuinely not for sale . . . but not many. The owner of the '66 you're interested in knows you are genuinely interested, not just a tire kicker wasting his time. He heard your offer, and it was apparently sufficient to be a real offer - that is, not so low that it was insulting and not the crazy high "stupid number" that anyone would be a fool not to take. He has your contact information. At this point, that's about all you can do. Keep in touch, but don't be a pest. Patience is your best plan right now. Just get yourself to the place where you understand & accept that he may never sell the car, or he may suddenly sell it to his brother-in-law. You can't control what other people do, but you can control what YOU do. Make sure you're financially in a position that if he calls right now while you're reading this, you can do the deal. Good luck, let us know how it works out.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:34 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Develop a friendship with the owner, offer help with the car maintenance and above all.....be patient. I bought a Cadillac from a little old lady once after meeting her driving the car, and waving to her after than when I saw her......she called me FIVE years later to see if I still wanted it.

And offer to let them drive it or take them for a ride when the car is finished. That way they experience less separation anxiety.

Last edited by Kerrmudgeon; 05-18-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:40 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

I simply give the owner my card and respectfully ask for first right of refusal IF the time comes that they decide to sell the car. Typically, I'll follow up with an annual call "just to check in". I've received several of the same from buyers IF I decide to sell. That's the accepted procedure with the people I deal with and it works very well.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:44 PM
Qblue92
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

There's a 63 SWC that I found locally about 7 years ago. I run into the owner every few months. I make polite conversation and sometime mention that I would love to be the next caretaker for the silver car. Hasn't worked yet.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:51 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

All of you have very good advice. I know with my 60 I went to the lady's house after 5 years of trying and left a letter that I wrote on the car. It worked. I did a similar letter on my 66, and that was a car everyone in my area had given up on ever being for sale.

So my thought going forward is to leave him alone until the end of June and then stop by. For some reason I feel that if he doesn't get it out this summer I might just get it. On the other hand he might get it out and start driving it again.

He did tell me that if his wife heard that offer it would be gone. I jokingly told him I will stop by when his truck is gone and her car is there. He said she would have it gone before he could get home. I told him I was joking of course.

So back off for a month?
Old 05-18-2016, 10:02 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default To be

Polite and convincing that I am ready to buy! And gracious when rejected (a trait you guys probably never suspected that I have!!)
Old 05-18-2016, 10:12 PM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,008 Likes on 573 Posts

Once you are in the ballpark price wise and it sounds like you are, its no longer is about the money. The price can be dialed in when he is ready and anyway 2-3-5K either way is not changing yours or his life.
Its all about him being ready to stomach walking into his garage and not seeing the car there anymore. He may or not be ready for that.
A gentle reminder of how much you love that car but that you are also looking at other prospects could motivate him.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:31 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

In addition to all the other good advice you have received - courtesy, respect, patience - since you both have tentatively broached and agreed upon a price - your next move is to show up with cash.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:50 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

There is only one right way to get the car... and you only find out what that is after you get it.

I think I would have offered my help if he wanted to get it running, and gave my card/number to him with an "of course, if you find you just want to sell it, give me first right of refusal as well.

Then just stop back every couple of months to say hey and "just checking on your progress" kind of thing....

People usually need money around summer for vacations (especially if they have kids) and two weeks either side of Thanksgiving. That is when they make their "major" purchases for Christmas gifts so money is handy.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:07 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

You are going to have to admit that there is a cadre of owners whose chief joy in owning an old, (usually project-status) car is having other people want it. They are never gonna sell; they are never gonna restore it. They'll drop an occasional 'teaser' to make you think they might but these types just never will.

They 'get off' having people stop by and inquire about it/desire it and they have no intention of doing anything with the car beyond attracting some attention under pretty much 'false' pretenses.

Getting a car running for such a person will just increase his/her arsenal of goodies that make the car even more desirable and you still won't get it. You may even get into some liability issues with the more cantankerous types.

I've had a triple black, rust-free, convertible, '67 GTO, with a racing history, in a garage across the street for 11 years now that the owner's widow won't sell because her 'nephew' (who knows nothing about cars and lives in Ohio) is gonna get it running some day. Went through the same thing with the 85 year old owner of a split window in a Florida basement with all the parts in boxes scattered about.

At some point you quit chasing it and playing this weird game unless you haven't anything better to do. Hard to sort out this type from real potential sellers but once you do, quit embarrassing yourself and exit the field.

I'm not gonna belittle myself or pretend to be somebody's concerned 'friend' or suck azz to buy an old car.

"Never wrestle with a pig; you get dirty and the pig likes it..."
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-19-2016 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:17 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,541 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

If the car isn't really for sale it's a waste of time and energy trying to "cajole" someone into selling that really isn't ready to. There are plenty of cars from which to choose that are actually for sale. I've been through a few of those, "I might want to sell my car" situations in the past. They either never sell them or they want way too much for them. Throw an offer at them and move on if they reject it.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:40 AM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

If you throw the guy an offer for his car do it in $100.00 bills. Dead Presidents do talk. . I just bought another car yesterday only it is for my grand daughter for her 16th B-day. I put out all $100.00 bills at a lot less then the people were asking. The lady hum haw around for about 1 min. and then I kind of brushed the cash on her hand and told her dead Presidents do talk and these are talking to you and they say they want to go with you. My Grand daughter now has a car for her 16th B-day. What grand paws do for the great grand kids.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:59 AM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,008 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
You are going to have to admit that there is a cadre of owners whose chief joy in owning an old, (usually project-status) car is having other people want it. They are never gonna sell; they are never gonna restore it. They'll drop an occasional 'teaser' to make you think they might but these types just never will.

They 'get off' having people stop by and inquire about it/desire it and they have no intention of doing anything with the car beyond attracting some attention under pretty much 'false' pretenses.

Getting a car running for such a person will just increase his/her arsenal of goodies that make the car even more desirable and you still won't get it. You may even get into some liability issues with the more cantankerous types.

I've had a triple black, rust-free, convertible, '67 GTO, with a racing history, in a garage across the street for 11 years now that the owner's widow won't sell because her 'nephew' (who knows nothing about cars and lives in Ohio) is gonna get it running some day. Went through the same thing with the 85 year old owner of a split window in a Florida basement with all the parts in boxes scattered about.

At some point you quit chasing it and playing this weird game unless you haven't anything better to do. Hard to sort out this type from real potential sellers but once you do, quit embarrassing yourself and exit the field.

I'm not gonna belittle myself or pretend to be somebody's concerned 'friend' or suck azz to buy an old car.

"Never wrestle with a pig; you get dirty and the pig likes it..."
Agree but certainly not in every case.
Some use the "its not for sale card" as a method to get the prospective buyer to pay top dollar and some, due to sentimental value, are honestly torn as to whether or not selling is the right thing to do. They realize that once that bell is rung they cant un-ring it. Most of us have sold a car or 2 that we wish we hadnt sold.
Since in this case they have discussed price / valueit seems the seller is just manipulating for top dollar. If thats what he needs thats what he is gonna do.
As far as showing up with cash as another poster suggests that is fine for a $10,000 car. Rolling up to someones house with 68-80K or more is nuts and just inviting all kinds of big trouble.

Get notified of new replies

To What is your buying strategy on a car not for sale?

Old 05-19-2016, 08:12 AM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,022 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Much can slip between cup and lip. Time is corrosive to any deal. I take the opposite approach to most of the advice given here. Screw patience and "making friends." You need a stack of $100's or a cashier's check and you need to be a relentless pest. If the owner can be induced to sell, that's the lever you need to move him. If he is, as Frankie says, a cuke waxer, than you won't wind up with it unless and until the owner is at room temperature.

In those cases I usually let the wife know I'm interested and drop my card, which most gladly take.

Dan
The following users liked this post:
65 fi (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 08:23 AM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

I'm decent at reading people, and I don't think he is the kind of guy that strings people along just for prestige. He made a comment one time when I stopped that he sold his Harley when he was 23 and has never had another one and he knows once the vette is gone he will never have another one. I think money might be a factor because he was talking about going back to work after retiring and when I made my offer he commented he could reconsider retirement. I feel you have to plant the seed and give it time to grow, but as another said time will ultimately work against you. I enjoy reading everyone's thoughts.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:32 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,324 Likes on 957 Posts

Default For sale

How about a novel approach. Go to his house on a Sat. morning with a bucket, sponge and car wash detergent and a pile of cash. Tell him that after you clean the car, one of you is going to own it. If he does not sell that day, he will, without a doubt, remember you are serious about buying the car. . Good luck with your purchase. Jerry

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is your buying strategy on a car not for sale?