C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Dust behind cluster lens removal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 10:22 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
The tell tell signs of any car at a body shop. Just wait until you turn on your heater blower motor. Especially on defrost
Thanks, I'll try to remember that prior to detailing.

Gary
Old 05-21-2016, 10:26 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
Absolutely, positively, 100% sure! I rebuilt my cluster a couple of years ago and those lens's where crystal clear when I brought the car in. The painter acknowledges that the dust is a result of the activities due to sanding and blowing the car off numerous times.

Someone suggested the possibility of static electricity being the cause.
Now, I need a solution.

Gary
Same here, take out the cluster , the dust is in the gears speedo and everywhere else. Second time in 5 years, it is the way it goes

Jack
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2016, 10:36 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jackfit
Same here, take out the cluster , the dust is in the gears speedo and everywhere else. Second time in 5 years, it is the way it goes

Jack
Jack,

If that's the case how did you remove it from there? I realize too much air pressure could be detrimental so what did you use to clear out the gauges? Did you use an aerosol, such as what's used on computer equipment?

Gary
Old 05-22-2016, 08:22 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Jack,

If that's the case how did you remove it from there? I realize too much air pressure could be detrimental so what did you use to clear out the gauges? Did you use an aerosol, such as what's used on computer equipment?

Gary
Hi, you have to take the cluster apart so you can wipe the lens. Gentle air from can or compressor, but mostly wiping. I would have taken out the cluster before, but I had to drive the car to painter.

Jack
Old 05-22-2016, 08:40 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

Gary,
I think you know the answer to this predicament. Bite the bullet and just pull the cluster and make it right.
Chances are that the above methods won't work to your liking. Also, there is chance of damage.
Just take an afternoon, pull it, clean it then forget it.
You won't be sorry you took the time. Everything will be fresh and clean including your beautiful new paint job. JMO.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:29 AM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

I'm going to be taking the '66 to paint at some point and I want to avoid this.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:51 AM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by woodsdesign
Gary,
I think you know the answer to this predicament. Bite the bullet and just pull the cluster and make it right.

Just take an afternoon, pull it, clean it then forget it.
... that's better than wasting your time here trying to figure out a shortcut way of doing it!

-Bruce
Old 05-22-2016, 01:06 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ILBMF
I'm going to be taking the '66 to paint at some point and I want to avoid this.
I wish you better luck I have had. I think that the only thing to POSSIBLY prevent it would be to stuff a bunch of cloth and or plastic all around the BACKSIDE of the dash as, that's where I believe that most of the dust came in from. Even then, it wouldn't surprise me if at least a little found it's way in.

Gary
Old 05-22-2016, 01:12 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Hi, you have to take the cluster apart so you can wipe the lens. Gentle air from can or compressor, but mostly wiping. I would have taken out the cluster before, but I had to drive the car to painter.

Jack
Hey Jack,

I knew about the general cleaning since I've already been down that road. I was wondering about the gauges themselves. Do I need to blow/clean them out as well?

Gary
Old 05-22-2016, 03:50 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey Jack,

I knew about the general cleaning since I've already been down that road. I was wondering about the gauges themselves. Do I need to blow/clean them out as well?

Gary
Hi , you need to remove the gauges from the cluster to clean lens. Gently blow dust from them and wipe faces with moist cloth.

Take out seat , steering column etc to make it easer to remove. Use the 5" threaded rods as shown in other posts to hang cluster on while taking apart. I will post pictures when I get home

Jack

Last edited by Jackfit; 05-22-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:14 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Hi , you need to remove the gauges from the cluster to clean lens. Gently blow dust from them and wipe faces with moist cloth.

Take out seat , steering column etc to make it easer to remove. Use the 5" threaded rods as shown in other posts to hang cluster on while taking apart. I will post pictures when I get home

Jack
Thanks Jack,

No need for the pics. As mentioned, I've had the cluster out before (still have the rods, found 'em last night) so my only question was pertaining to blowing/removal of the dust from the gauge housings themselves. Thanks again.

Gary
Old 05-22-2016, 04:46 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I also use a vacuum. AND YES...some make-up brushes that my wife got for me due to having such soft bristle's on them.... And..also something I use that many of you many not have thought of is a tack rag for when you are prepping your car for paint. IT DOES WONDERS on grabbing dust..and as many people KNOW..it does not leave a residue behind.....because I can paint over a finish I wiped down with it and it DOES NOT cause fish-eyes.

Gary...you are REALLY going to be GLAD you removed the dash cluster...because I WILL BET that there is a bit of dust on the dash cross member.

And or any of you planning on doing your body work...one thing I do is I pack the cowl areas with towels...so I do not have to worry about dust migrating into the cowl area...and thus...into the area where the blower motor is. I use a vacuum when I am pulling the towels out and then wash the cowl /plenum area with water.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 05-22-2016 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:22 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

Looks like you've made up your mind to pull the cluster to do it right, I'm afraid that if you blow compressed air into the gauges from rear of the cluster that you're not going to remove any particles or dust from the gauge, you're only going to redistribute it. And possibly make it worse.

Ray
Old 05-22-2016, 08:42 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Yeah, it certainly seems as though I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and do it again.

Before I do tackle it though, I think that I'm going to blow out the whole interior, then drive it around with the windows down, fresh air vents open and blower motor on for awhile. May as well try to get ALL the dust out of the car that I possibly can.

Then I'll blow it out once more and pull the cluster hopefully, for the last time!

Gary
Old 05-22-2016, 08:54 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
I also use a vacuum. AND YES...some make-up brushes that my wife got for me due to having such soft bristle's on them.... And..also something I use that many of you many not have thought of is a tack rag for when you are prepping your car for paint. IT DOES WONDERS on grabbing dust..and as many people KNOW..it does not leave a residue behind.....because I can paint over a finish I wiped down with it and it DOES NOT cause fish-eyes.

Gary...you are REALLY going to be GLAD you removed the dash cluster...because I WILL BET that there is a bit of dust on the dash cross member.

And or any of you planning on doing your body work...one thing I do is I pack the cowl areas with towels...so I do not have to worry about dust migrating into the cowl area...and thus...into the area where the blower motor is. I use a vacuum when I am pulling the towels out and then wash the cowl /plenum area with water.

DUB
DUB,

I'm sure you're quite correct and, have resolved myself to do it the right way. The thing that really bothers me is the fact that there's so much more left to do on the car before I can even think about getting into redoing something I've already done once before.

Hopefully, it will be easier the second time around.

Gary
Old 05-23-2016, 07:08 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The thing that really bothers me is the fact that there's so much more left to do on the car before I can even think about getting into redoing something I've already done once before.

Hopefully, it will be easier the second time around.

Gary
Gary,

Not meaning to be condescending...but ...that IS a part of the learning curve. TRUST ME....the process I follow now has taken YEARS to hone and the ONE THING I HATE is having to do something TWICE. So I UNDERSTAND completely.

AND you might also want to pull the glove box and liner due to dusts that can settle on top of it.

AS for driving the car to 'blow it out'...that is your choice...but at my shop I would rather wash out the interior and vacuum it up and MAKING SURE I have no dusts that will fall down on new black carpet (for example).
Old 05-23-2016, 07:21 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
Gary,

Not meaning to be condescending...but ...that IS a part of the learning curve. TRUST ME....the process I follow now has taken YEARS to hone and the ONE THING I HATE is having to do something TWICE. So I UNDERSTAND completely.

AND you might also want to pull the glove box and liner due to dusts that can settle on top of it.

AS for driving the car to 'blow it out'...that is your choice...but at my shop I would rather wash out the interior and vacuum it up and MAKING SURE I have no dusts that will fall down on new black carpet (for example).
DUB,

No offence taken. Damn, sounds as though the clean up is ALMOST as time consuming as the repaint.

Gary

Get notified of new replies

To Dust behind cluster lens removal?

Old 05-23-2016, 11:42 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Originally Posted by ILBMF
That reminds me...I'm pulling my cluster today.
Since I have pulled my clust 3 time over 35 years it is the worst job to me you can do on a Mid year..This time I made my self a promise than I an't do-en this ever again...

Hence ..Enter the Dakota Digital Direct fit dash No more tach and speedo cables and 9 bazillion lamps to deal with as well as oil pressure line.

Just one cat 5 cable... It's done and I am loving it. It's freken great!!!

I even did the clock..

Scroll down for all the info....

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd858.htm

Last edited by Viet Nam Vett; 05-23-2016 at 11:43 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:39 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Viet Nam Vett
Since I have pulled my clust 3 time over 35 years it is the worst job to me you can do on a Mid year..This time I made my self a promise than I an't do-en this ever again...

Hence ..Enter the Dakota Digital Direct fit dash No more tach and speedo cables and 9 bazillion lamps to deal with as well as oil pressure line.

I even did the clock..

Thanks for the info and, believe me when I say that it's quite tempting.

However, I actually like (looking at but HATE working on) the stock gauges. Besides, my car is basically stock with it's matching drive train and, even more so now since I've had repainted to it's original Laguna blue.

If I have to do it again though, who knows!

Gary
Old 05-24-2016, 07:28 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Viet Nam Vett

I even did the clock..

Those are very nice gauges. I wish I wouldn't have opened the link. Now you got me going, Viet Nam Vett. How tuff is the hook up?

Quick Reply: Dust behind cluster lens removal?