C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Dust behind cluster lens removal?

Old 05-20-2016, 07:33 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Default Dust behind cluster lens removal?

As some of you know I'm currently having my car painted. All is going very well with one exception.

Somehow the painter got some dust behind the cluster ('66 C2) lens's. He had plastic covering the dash and cluster but it still found it's way in there.

I REALLY don't want to remove the cluster just for something like this so does anyone have some suggestions as to how it can blown out?

The only way I can think of (short of removal) would be to pull the bulbs and somehow blow it out that way which will probably still be a PITA.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Gary
Old 05-20-2016, 07:43 PM
RestoMike
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Are you certain the dust may was not there before car was painted. While it's possible the dust was introduced into the cluster while as the paint shop, still would think it to be a challenging proposition. Possibly it was there before paint shop just not noticed maybe.......
Old 05-20-2016, 07:59 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RestoMike
Are you certain the dust may was not there before car was painted. While it's possible the dust was introduced into the cluster while as the paint shop, still would think it to be a challenging proposition. Possibly it was there before paint shop just not noticed maybe.......
Absolutely, positively, 100% sure! I rebuilt my cluster a couple of years ago and those lens's where crystal clear when I brought the car in. The painter acknowledges that the dust is a result of the activities due to sanding and blowing the car off numerous times.

Someone suggested the possibility of static electricity being the cause.
Now, I need a solution.

Gary
Old 05-20-2016, 09:27 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Have you tried a vacuum? If somehow it got in there during the painting, sanding process then I would think it could find a way out. I'd run a vacuum crevice took around the circumference of the lens. Worth a try. Taking out the cluster is as you know a pain the the rear.

Don
Old 05-20-2016, 09:56 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 5thvet
Have you tried a vacuum? If somehow it got in there during the painting, sanding process then I would think it could find a way out. I'd run a vacuum crevice took around the circumference of the lens. Worth a try. Taking out the cluster is as you know a pain the rear.

Don
Yeah Don, that sure is what I'd like to avoid. Didn't mind it so much when it needed a complete overhauling but removing it just to clean the lens's will really suck.

We haven't tried anything yet but will take yours and any other suggestions into consideration.

Keep 'em comin'!

Gary
Old 05-21-2016, 04:44 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

If you DO wind up pulling the cluster you might consider:
http://www.zip-corvette.com/63-67-in...asket-set.html

Something doesn't seem right about your lenses getting dusted....maybe these are missing. So far, the vacuum idea sounds like the best...

If there was a way to pull the cluster forward a bit using the 5-bolt method, pull the gray wired dash bulbs and get a super small, flexible, vacuum hose fitting to go into the dash bulb holes that might work. Maybe some rubber vacuum advance hose duct-taped to your machine's crevice attachment ?
Old 05-21-2016, 07:03 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,948 Posts

There's always a chance of marring something (cluster dial paint, gage surface, lense) trying to come up with a short cut to get the dust out. I would live with it for now with a future project to pull the cluster and properly disassemble it and clean it.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:28 AM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

That reminds me...I'm pulling my cluster today.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:56 AM
RK-TECT
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Gary,
What a cluster dust!! I'm sorry to hear about this very frustrating issue. The other suggestions are all good ideas, but I wouldn't mess with it right now. Once you get the car back from the paint shop and the car is clean and ready to cruise, I would drive it for a while and see what happens. At driving speeds, I believe some air is moved between the gauges and the lenses which might dislodge the dust that you're seeing. You might get lucky and the dust issue may resolve itself. It would drive me crazy as I know it's doing to you, but hang in there before trying a vacuum or pulling the cluster. If it doesn't resolve on its own, then I would try compressed air next. Shooting compressed air around the perimeter of the lens from the front may also get just enough air inside the cavity to dislodge the dust. It's worth a try.

Good luck, Roger
Old 05-21-2016, 10:06 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary's '66

The only way I can think of (short of removal) would be to pull the bulbs and somehow blow it out that way which will probably still be a PITA.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Gary
Be careful with compressor air, some of the gauges have tiny springs that may not like high pressure air (If I remember correctly the tacho and speedo)
The following users liked this post:
Gary's '66 (05-21-2016)
Old 05-21-2016, 10:10 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

try your compressor and turn down the air or try, "compressed air in can" the type they use on computer keyboards......
The following users liked this post:
Gary's '66 (05-21-2016)
Old 05-21-2016, 12:10 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
If you DO wind up pulling the cluster you might consider:
http://www.zip-corvette.com/63-67-in...asket-set.html

Something doesn't seem right about your lenses getting dusted....maybe these are missing. So far, the vacuum idea sounds like the best...

If there was a way to pull the cluster forward a bit using the 5-bolt method, pull the gray wired dash bulbs and get a super small, flexible, vacuum hose fitting to go into the dash bulb holes that might work. Maybe some rubber vacuum advance hose duct-taped to your machine's crevice attachment ?
Frankie,

I put one of those kits in when I rebuilt the cluster, honest. I was pretty meticulous when I did the rebuild 'cause I really didn't want something like this to happen. I always like to keep things moving forward and hate doing the same job twice!

The dust appears to be super fine and how it got in there beats the hell of me. I mean, the gasket kit was used, I have a coupe, there was plastic placed over the dash and cluster, door openings were taped off and fresh air vents were closed.

That's what I was thinking too. I used the 5 bolt method last time so I probably still have those studs around somewhere.

Gary

Last edited by Gary's '66; 05-21-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:16 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RK-TECT
Hi Gary,
What a cluster dust!! I'm sorry to hear about this very frustrating issue. The other suggestions are all good ideas, but I wouldn't mess with it right now. Once you get the car back from the paint shop and the car is clean and ready to cruise, I would drive it for a while and see what happens. At driving speeds, I believe some air is moved between the gauges and the lenses which might dislodge the dust that you're seeing. You might get lucky and the dust issue may resolve itself. It would drive me crazy as I know it's doing to you, but hang in there before trying a vacuum or pulling the cluster. If it doesn't resolve on its own, then I would try compressed air next. Shooting compressed air around the perimeter of the lens from the front may also get just enough air inside the cavity to dislodge the dust. It's worth a try.

Good luck, Roger
Roger,

Even though I am, as you say frustrated, that comment made me laugh.

You may be right and its certainly worth a try shooting some air around the outside of the lens's first. Thanks

Gary
Old 05-21-2016, 12:18 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
There's always a chance of marring something (cluster dial paint, gage surface, lense) trying to come up with a short cut to get the dust out. I would live with it for now with a future project to pull the cluster and properly disassemble it and clean it.
Dan

I know that you're right but they looked soooo beautiful before.

Gary
Old 05-21-2016, 05:58 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

FOR WHAT THIS IS WORTH:

DUST is some amazing stuff.....when you think you got it off WITHOUT WIPING IT OFF...it is still there. Perfect example is rinse your car with water only and with dust on it and see what happens when it dries...the DUST is still there. I can blow off a dusty windshield with 120 psi air pressure and there STILL be be dust present.

SO...if your car were in my shop...the cluster would come out so I could clean the lenses individually.

And as for damaging something up....unless you are a gorilla and not paying attention and follow the procedure to SAFELY remove it...and using blankets, etc for protection....NO damage should arise. I literally just did a 1963 cluster and painted the steering column to get it to match and NOT one problem.

These cluster are a but FUN...but no where near being impossible to remove and install without damage. Often times it may be the person doing it NOT taking the time to THINK and create a set-up or support system to help them IF they do not have the strength to hold the cluster and plug in bulbs and connectors.

Gary...having done so many mid-years and other Corvettes over the years I can tell you this from experience....IF you notice it now....TRUST ME...you eye will migrate to it all the time and it will get inside your head and it can bother you something fierce (maybe not). Similar issues have happened to me where I go back to the shop at midnight due to I can not sleep because it is bothering me so much...that I can not allow the car to leave like that...due to having all the ability to make it RIGHT. You have done so much on your car....this is NOT a major issue in regards to ALL that you have done.

Just my opinion on this.

DUB
Old 05-21-2016, 07:43 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
FOR WHAT THIS IS WORTH:

DUST is some amazing stuff.....when you think you got it off WITHOUT WIPING IT OFF...it is still there. Perfect example is rinse your car with water only and with dust on it and see what happens when it dries...the DUST is still there. I can blow off a dusty windshield with 120 psi air pressure and there STILL be be dust present.

SO...if your car were in my shop...the cluster would come out so I could clean the lenses individually.

And as for damaging something up....unless you are a gorilla and not paying attention and follow the procedure to SAFELY remove it...and using blankets, etc for protection....NO damage should arise. I literally just did a 1963 cluster and painted the steering column to get it to match and NOT one problem.

These cluster are a but FUN...but no where near being impossible to remove and install without damage. Often times it may be the person doing it NOT taking the time to THINK and create a set-up or support system to help them IF they do not have the strength to hold the cluster and plug in bulbs and connectors.

Gary...having done so many mid-years and other Corvettes over the years I can tell you this from experience....IF you notice it now....TRUST ME...you eye will migrate to it all the time and it will get inside your head and it can bother you something fierce (maybe not). Similar issues have happened to me where I go back to the shop at midnight due to I can not sleep because it is bothering me so much...that I can not allow the car to leave like that...due to having all the ability to make it RIGHT. You have done so much on your car....this is NOT a major issue in regards to ALL that you have done.

Just my opinion on this.

DUB
DUB,

Too late, it's already in my head and bothering me something fierce and, I'm not even driving the car yet.

So, It sounds as though the only option open to me is to remove the cluster.

I know it's not the end of the world but, man, I was sure hoping that there was some other approach to resolve it.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. It's obviously not what I wanted to hear but oh well, it is what it is.

Gary
Old 05-21-2016, 08:02 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Are you absolutely sure its dust and not some misting of clear coat (I hope not) ?

I have heard some horror stories about how that stuff can permeate into some unbelievable spaces...

Get notified of new replies

To Dust behind cluster lens removal?

Old 05-21-2016, 08:29 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Are you absolutely sure its dust and not some misting of clear coat (I hope not) ?

I have heard some horror stories about how that stuff can permeate into some unbelievable spaces...
It sure looks like dust. And the fact that the particles on the surface wipe away tells me it's not any sort of paint misting. Also, there's like a sediment at the bottom of the gauges especially the 2 large ones.

I didn't have time to investigate further as I didn't notice it until we were wrapping things up on Friday.

I'll be going in to help again next week then I'll look into it further and see if I can post a couple of pics.

I have a sinking feeling that DUB is correct in his evaluation.

Gary
Old 05-21-2016, 08:41 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
I have a sinking feeling that DUB is correct in his evaluation.
Gary
Unfortunately, I agree
Old 05-21-2016, 08:55 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

The tell tell signs of any car at a body shop. Just wait until you turn on your heater blower motor. Especially on defrost

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dust behind cluster lens removal?