C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Airtex FP fail led to danger situation

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 07:24 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Default Airtex FP fail led to danger situation

After putting 300 miles on the '64 as a prelude check for an upcoming road trip I felt comfortable all was in good order for a trip up to WA to visit the grandkids. The plan was to leave at night to target an ETA for the following day.

After leaving the house to start the road trip, about 10 miles later the engine dies at highway speed, like the ignition switch had suddenly been turned off. Traffic is moderately heavy moving at 60-70 mph. .. A guy behind me in a Challenger comes up close and flashes his high beams a couple of times. Some cars see me slowing down and make way as I signal and coast to the right side of the road. There's a freeway exit up ahead, but not enough momentum to make it.

The car came to a stop where there's a paved shoulder with a concrete barrier wall next to it.
A dark night, 10 pm, and traffic whizzing by at speed. .. Big time heebie jeebies being stuck there like that.

Back on point... When the engine died so suddenly the thought was an ignition failure had occurred. Keeping an eye out watching for traffic a quick coil changeout was tried to see if that was the problem. .. No dice. .. Time to call AAA. Situation too nerve wracking for anything else.

It was too dangerous to sit in the car while waiting for AAA to arrive. I stood about a hundred feet behind the car shining a small flashlight towards oncoming traffic to try and get drivers attention to the tail lights and flashing right blinker.

A car pulls over. Two guys in the car. Just the kind of attention I was hoping not to get. They ask what's going on. We make small talk. One of the guy's says, 'we were going the other way and saw you pulled over'. .. They went to the trouble to turn around. If looks count for anything the guy riding shotgun was wearing a bandanna. .. Maybe an over reaction but I had to wonder if maybe this was a size up for a 'hand over the wallet' situation. AAA arrived about 20 minutes later.

Turns out the problem was running out of gas via a failed Airtex fuel pump. This particular fuel pump, the 40083, has the infamous problem of the shaft pivot pin working itself loose out of the housing. This problem with this particular fuel pump has been mentioned here at least several times in the past. . Heck, I knew about this problem and figured to add a retainer of sorts to hold the pin fast in the housing to keep it in place. It kept slipping my mind to get this done.

The 40083 Airtex is probably a fine fuel pump. If you're running with one, it would behoove you to make sure that pivot pin is secured inside the housing.

The above was mentioned to hopefully make others aware of what can happen. As for my 40083 fuel pump that failed it's going where it needs to be.........in the trash.
John

Last edited by mrg; 05-21-2016 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:44 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

So what happened ? Ruptured diaphragm ? Actuator arm pin 'walk' out of its hole ?
Old 05-21-2016, 07:55 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Why you blaming the FP? Reason? Leaking gas? If not, then:

Pull the dipstick and check for gas smell.

If the float bowls are full then moving the throttle will verify if there's fuel in them to make the accel pump work.

I wish you luck and since yer on a flatbed by now, remember that 90% of fuel problems are ignition problems.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 05-21-2016 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:10 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Guys, better brush up on your reading skills. He wrote:
This particular fuel pump, the 40083, has the infamous problem of the shaft pivot pin working itself loose out of the housing.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:17 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Why don't you hand it back to AirTex and tell them you want a good one?
Old 05-21-2016, 09:32 PM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 261 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Call Airtex and ask to talk to Shane in the technical department. They seem very interested in correcting the problems with their pumps. They sent me a new pump even though mine was a year out of warranty and had me send the failed pump back postage paid so they could evaluate it.
Dave

Last edited by dkleather; 05-22-2016 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:19 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg
After putting 300 miles on the '64 as a prelude check for an upcoming road trip I felt comfortable all was in good order for a trip up to WA to visit the grandkids. The plan was to leave at night to target an ETA for the following day.

After leaving the house to start the road trip, about 10 miles later the engine dies at highway speed, like the ignition switch had suddenly been turned off. Traffic is moderately heavy moving at 60-70 mph. .. A guy behind me in a Challenger comes up close and flashes his high beams a couple of times. Some cars see me slowing down and make way as I signal and coast to the right side of the road. There's a freeway exit up ahead, but not enough momentum to make it.

The car came to a stop where there's a paved shoulder with a concrete barrier wall next to it.
A dark night, 10 pm, and traffic whizzing by at speed. .. Big time heebie jeebies being stuck there like that.

Back on point... When the engine died so suddenly the thought was an ignition failure had occurred. Keeping an eye out watching for traffic a quick coil changeout was tried to see if that was the problem. .. No dice. .. Time to call AAA. Situation too nerve wracking for anything else.

It was too dangerous to sit in the car while waiting for AAA to arrive. I stood about a hundred feet behind the car shining a small flashlight towards oncoming traffic to try and get drivers attention to the tail lights and flashing right blinker.

A car pulls over. Two guys in the car. Just the kind of attention I was hoping not to get. They ask what's going on. We make small talk. One of the guy's says, 'we were going the other way and saw you pulled over'. .. They went to the trouble to turn around. If looks count for anything the guy riding shotgun was wearing a bandanna. .. Maybe an over reaction but I had to wonder if maybe this was a size up for a 'hand over the wallet' situation. AAA arrived about 20 minutes later.

Turns out the problem was running out of gas via a failed Airtex fuel pump. This particular fuel pump, the 40083, has the infamous problem of the shaft pivot pin working itself loose out of the housing. This problem with this particular fuel pump has been mentioned here at least several times in the past. . Heck, I knew about this problem and figured to add a retainer of sorts to hold the pin fast in the housing to keep it in place. It kept slipping my mind to get this done.

The 40083 Airtex is probably a fine fuel pump. If you're running with one, it would behoove you to make sure that pivot pin is secured inside the housing.

The above was mentioned to hopefully make others aware of what can happen. As for my 40083 fuel pump that failed it's going where it needs to be.........in the trash.
John

My pin worked it's way out also . I put the Napa pump back in...not correct , but reliable .

Jack

Last edited by Jackfit; 05-21-2016 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:27 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by dkleather
Call Airtex and ask to talk to Shawn in the technical department. They seem very interested in correcting the problems with their pumps. They sent me a new pump even though mine was a year out of warranty and had me send the failed pump back postage paid so they could evaluate it.
Dave
Yeah they seemed interested last time this came up a few months back; but apparently not so much to 'nut up' and crank out a fix.

Anyway - the OP (and everybody) should carry one of those 3-packs of road flares from any auto store. There is a pack in EVERY one of my cars.... I've used them a few times at wrecks I've witnessed but never for my cars (so far)!
Old 05-22-2016, 08:03 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Edited after the posts.
The following users liked this post:
65tripleblack (05-22-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 10:11 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Initial post was edited after first 2 responses.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:33 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
initial post was edited after first 2 responses.
ok.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:46 AM
mrg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
Initial post was edited after first 2 responses.
Yes, it was. .. In typing I got too close to the reply button before message was ready to send.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:59 AM
mrg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Yeah they seemed interested last time this came up a few months back; but apparently not so much to 'nut up' and crank out a fix.

Anyway - the OP (and everybody) should carry one of those 3-packs of road flares from any auto store. There is a pack in EVERY one of my cars.... I've used them a few times at wrecks I've witnessed but never for my cars (so far)!
Frankie ..
Lesson learned. .. Shoulda woulda coulda wishing I had those flares when the incident happened sure went through my mind.

Some months ago a couple of road flares in my DD went bad because thet got wet. I figured, these never get used anyway.......who needs 'em?. .. Uh huh!

Edit to add:
From the time the breakdown happened until the AAA roll back showed up, about 75 minutes, a CHP cruiser never showed up. My daughter (works for a local PD) said I should have called 911. She says a CHP cruiser would have been dispatched to check the situation out. I have no idea what their polcy is but if nothing else, maybe a CHP cruiser could have run interference (flashing lights and all) while waiting for AAA to show up.

Last edited by mrg; 05-22-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:04 AM
mrg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dkleather
Call Airtex and ask to talk to Shawn in the technical department. They seem very interested in correcting the problems with their pumps. They sent me a new pump even though mine was a year out of warranty and had me send the failed pump back postage paid so they could evaluate it.
Dave
Dave ..
If Airtex might be interested in doing a post mortum on the pump they can certainly have it. .. I'll give them a call.
John
Old 05-22-2016, 11:13 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I have flares in every vehicle I own. If you're too cheap to buy some at a parts store, ask a neighbor or friend who works for a railroad to bring you a few. They generally are only 5 or 10 minute, as opposed to 20 or 30 minute length from a store, but the shorter ones will fit in more places under the seat or wherever. I put them in a ziplock bag to keep moisture away.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:21 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I stopped using Airtex water pumps and fuel pumps back in the 1990's when I was a commercial mechanic....it was too costly re-doing the jobs when the parts failed. They failed a LOT. Not a lot of fun doing comebacks on 4100 Cadillacs where it was a PITA just to get to the darn thing. Things may be different now, but I am well past using anything from that company ever.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:27 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

A police cruiser or ambulance is no guarantee but at least some help.
An injured motorcyclist right outside my neighborhood crashed in the middle of a road construction site and was being treated by paramedics and they had parked their ambulance in 'fend off' mode.

Didn't matter - some bimbo on her cell phone rammed into the whole shebang and maimed one of the first responders.

If I have to nurse my car off the road - I get it as far onto the shoulder (or further); set out a flare if I think its called for and then move way back from the road and call for help...

I don't know what is up with the AirTek products; I've quite recommending them - this pin issue has come up 8-10 times on here in the last year and its a simple fix..

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-22-2016 at 11:29 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Airtex FP fail led to danger situation

Old 05-22-2016, 11:34 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

If he was headed up the 99 from Lodi, and was stuck on the 99, it would be hard to think of a more hazardous place to be. I drive that corridor a LOT, and it is a real armpit....from Fresno to Sacramento. Narrow lanes, potholes, construction, cement barriers, no shoulders, drunk/drugged/crazy/distracted drivers, and Stockton to Sac is a high crime section. No thanks! It's a real miracle the O.P. didn't get creamed. It's a terrible route.
burdenh (05-26-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 11:42 AM
mrg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GTOguy
I stopped using Airtex water pumps and fuel pumps back in the 1990's when I was a commercial mechanic....it was too costly re-doing the jobs when the parts failed. They failed a LOT. Not a lot of fun doing comebacks on 4100 Cadillacs where it was a PITA just to get to the darn thing. Things may be different now, but I am well past using anything from that company ever.
GTO..
Does anyone make a decent fuel pump anymore that cuts the mustard? I was thinking to order a replacement 4657 pump, an Airtex. .. Rock Auto also shows an AC Delco 40018 fuel pump. Maybe a better pump? . . Pics of both pumps do look similar, though.
John
Old 05-22-2016, 12:08 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GTOguy
If he was headed up the 99 from Lodi, and was stuck on the 99, it would be hard to think of a more hazardous place to be. I drive that corridor a LOT, and it is a real armpit....from Fresno to Sacramento. Narrow lanes, potholes, construction, cement barriers, no shoulders, drunk/drugged/crazy/distracted drivers, and Stockton to Sac is a high crime section. No thanks! It's a real miracle the O.P. didn't get creamed. It's a terrible route.
GTO ..
That's exactly what was going through my mind. Every time an oncoming car made a move over to the right lane I watched it like a hawk. My heart was in my throat more than a few times.

The concrete barrier to the right, about 3 ft tall, had an 8 ft chain link fence on top of it. I had thought to scale up the fence as best an old guy could if it looked like the worst was about to happen. ..The car had a full tank of gas.
John
burdenh (05-26-2016)

Quick Reply: Airtex FP fail led to danger situation