C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Edelbrock classic valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 03:34 AM
zim64
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Edelbrock classic valve covers

I have Felpro 5/16" thick v/c gaskets and wonder if that is enough to safely run and clear my rocker stud nuts (Comp Cams stuff) Without the gaskets the valve covers don't sit on the head mating surface, they hit the studs/nuts...with that gasket they seem to sit down on the gasket and head ok, but not sure about how much clearance I have. Anyone run these v/covers with rocker studs?
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2016, 12:33 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,604 Posts

get some modeling clay and put it on the studs, assemble the covers and then remove them and check your clearance.
The following users liked this post:
zim64 (05-26-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 01:33 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by zim64
I have Felpro 5/16" thick v/c gaskets and wonder if that is enough to safely run and clear my rocker stud nuts (Comp Cams stuff) Without the gaskets the valve covers don't sit on the head mating surface, they hit the studs/nuts...with that gasket they seem to sit down on the gasket and head ok, but not sure about how much clearance I have. Anyone run these v/covers with rocker studs?
I have comp cam and even with stock rocker studs, and valve covers, I found that I needed the extra thick gasket to stop the slight touching.
L-79 327/350
Jack
zim64 (05-26-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 04:27 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

they look superb !
zim64 (05-26-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 02:01 AM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Received 2,339 Likes on 890 Posts

Those are good looking valve covers.

Double gaskets or the thick gaskets may provide the needed clearance.

There are also risers or spacers for sale on the web that raise the valve covers about 1 1/4 inch. I use the spacers to fit a stud girdle under the corvette script covers.

I have always wondered why a manufacturer like M/T, Isky, or Edelbrock never produced a valve cover with internal stud guide bosses to function like a stud girdle. They could offer an entire kit of studs, guide plates, rocker arms, locks, and the valve covers to provide a rigid assembly. The result may not be not as rigid as a stud girdle, but better than stock for more valvetrain reliability with a more radical cam, and shorter than the typical tall valve cover to minimize brake vacuum booster interference.
zim64 (05-26-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 06:00 AM
zim64
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have seen the spacers and not a big fan of them, but sure understand their application.
I will try the modeling clay on the studs and see what I come up with for clearance.
Another issue is the perimeter ridge of the v/c's hits the intake runners...wtf? Edelbrock, you can't even make your parts to work together? I had to take a flap disc to the edge of the cover to clear the intake.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:59 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by zim64
Another issue is the perimeter ridge of the v/c's hits the intake runners...wtf? Edelbrock, you can't even make your parts to work together? I had to take a flap disc to the edge of the cover to clear the intake.
It would seem Edelbrock could cast their wider intake manifold runner dimension closer to factory spec. .. It was the same problem with 2703 intake manifold that went on my engine. The top edge flange on the steel valve covers wouldn't seal properly on the 461 heads because of runner interference.

A thicker Fel Pro valve cover gasket RTV'd to the gasket already in place on the valve covers raised the covers enough to provide the necessary clearance.

Unless I missed it I don't remember Edelbrock making mention of a possible intake runner clearance issue in their nomenclature or installation instructions.
John

Last edited by mrg; 05-27-2016 at 01:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Edelbrock classic valve covers

Quick Reply: Edelbrock classic valve covers