C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Starting takes to long

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 09:08 PM
David Moroney
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Frankie

The photo I posted is an old one, before I changed the carb setup back to progressive after your advice in a previous post.

Thanks also for the other leads on retrofitting a choke - I'll follow those up.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:14 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

personally, I would convert to an electric choke; if possible for that carburetor... and do away with all that other 'stuff'...
Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 05-24-2016 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:44 PM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by wmf62
personally, I would convert to an electric choke; if possible for that carburetor... and do away with all that other 'stuff'...
Bill
Absofreakinlutely! Put the antediluvian relics in a box on a high shelf and save them for the flight judging fields. In the real world they changed over to electrics for a reason, plus it's cheap and easy to do.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:26 AM
David Moroney
Instructor

Re-fitting a choke may not be as easy as first thought.

I don't have a choke assembly at all (no housing, valve, lever, linkages, etc) and am not sure whether more readily available parts for a Corvette 2x4 Carter WCFB will fit my Chrysler '56-'58 Carter WCFB setup?

Anybody know whether a kit like this - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1956-61-C...kAAOSwLa9UW3~Z woulso fit my primary carb?

Old 05-25-2016, 06:38 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

That rear carb is a 6-1310 '56-'58 rear carb off a Chrysler dual quad setup...it appears to be a high choke carb and those eBay parts should work -- provided the choke cover has the thermostatic spring and the housing has the piston. You might want to take a shot at getting it but I wouldn't chase the bids too high... You would want to buy a repro hot air tube that goes to the choke housing.... A linkage rod or two is all else you'll need and they are all around for sale..(you can make them too).

Now - having said all of that...you could always just get a choke valve (like in the ad) somewhere and make a manual choke with a push/pull button at the dash which controls a cable to the choke. Kits for this are about $10...

Not pretty, but simple, old school -- and foolproof.

If you just want easy starts on cold days without a lot of the original 'magic' that's failure-prone...that's certainly an option.

May want to start your own thread though - we've hijacked this one from rtruman...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-25-2016 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:48 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
You appear to have the high choke carb and those eBay parts should work -- provided the choke cover has the spring and the housing has the piston.

Now - having said all of that...you could always just get a choke valve (like in the ad) somewhere and make a manual choke with a push/pull button at the dash which controls a cable to the choke.

Not pretty, but simple, old school -- and foolproof.

If you just want easy starts on cold days without a lot of the original 'magic' that's failure-prone...that's certainly an option.

May want to start your own thread though - we've hijacked this one from rtruman...
You guys wouldn't believe how hard and what I had to go thru to get this matching dated carb matched to my engine speaks get it rebuild
twice ,other than the adjustment I will be happy .
Old 05-25-2016, 06:55 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by rtruman
You guys wouldn't believe how hard and what I had to go thru to get this matching dated carb matched to my engine speaks get it rebuild
Hang in there and work through the issues and you'll have a fine running carb. I hate to see people get frustrated and swap on an Edelbrock carb which is nothing but a clone of the AFB they already had
The following users liked this post:
rtruman (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 07:37 AM
David Moroney
Instructor

Originally Posted by rtruman
Good luck with it - I know what it's like to struggle to get the car started. I'm sure you'll sort it out with the help from this forum.

Apologies for hijacking your post - I will start a new one.
The following users liked this post:
rtruman (05-25-2016)

Quick Reply: Starting takes to long