C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1967 standard steering column- part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 02:13 PM
Cruisers
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 1967 standard steering column- part 2

Got this thing apart and yes it has at some point partially collapsed. Does anyone know the length the center shaft and the outer "caged" part need to be when done? Got an AIM manual and it does not say.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:00 PM
johngandersonjr
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruisers
Got this thing apart and yes it has at some point partially collapsed. Does anyone know the length the center shaft and the outer "caged" part need to be when done? Got an AIM manual and it does not say.
These are the papers i used to rebuild mine. I have a Early 67 column.

my shaft was partially collapsed as well. i was able to pull it back out to 37.57". Don't know if I was supposed to do that or not, but it worked and everything went back together smoothly. the wire mesh on mine was also broke off so i have to tack weld it back together.

Last edited by johngandersonjr; 05-25-2016 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:02 PM
Cruisers
Instructor

Default Thanks Soooooooo much

Originally Posted by johngandersonjr
These are the papers i used to rebuild mine. I have a Early 67 column.

My shaft was partially collapsed as well. i was able to pull it back out to 37.57". Don't know if I was supposed to do that or not, but it worked and everything went back together smoothly. the wire mesh on mine was also broke off so i have to tack weld it back together.
My shaft is 36.5" and after checking 37.5 will be perfect. My lower bearing was gone.No idea how most of the ball bearings were missing as the "cage" for them was still in place. The cage and bearings were very rusted and dry. However, the bearing I removed was a ball bearing, and the replacement is a roller bearing. Did they revise it? The new bearing fits correctly into the lower "cage" tube.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:52 PM
johngandersonjr
Racer

Originally Posted by Cruisers
My shaft is 36.5" and after checking 37.5 will be perfect. My lower bearing was gone.No idea how most of the ball bearings were missing as the "cage" for them was still in place. The cage and bearings were very rusted and dry. However, the bearing I removed was a ball bearing, and the replacement is a roller bearing. Did they revise it? The new bearing fits correctly into the lower "cage" tube.
I cannot answer that. My bearing was toast as well. Mine was the earlier stepped bearing. darn thing was $40.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:05 AM
Cruisers
Instructor

Default Now about the "caged" tube

Originally Posted by johngandersonjr
I cannot answer that. My bearing was toast as well. Mine was the earlier stepped bearing. darn thing was $40.
John,
Would you or anyone else know what the length of the "caged" tube should be that the shaft goes through?
Old 05-26-2016, 06:07 PM
johngandersonjr
Racer

I don't. I just counted the triangles from a known good vs mine. Mine was broke completely off inter the plastic cover.

Get notified of new replies

To 1967 standard steering column- part 2

Quick Reply: 1967 standard steering column- part 2