C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

how to transport body on highway

Old 05-26-2016, 07:21 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 874 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy
When I picked up my '15 Ford in Washington state, I rented a 16' UHaul box truck. The whole thing fit inside, out of sight and out of the weather, totally secure with no worries about parts flying off. Cheap and easy.
Is that a 1915 Ford?
Old 05-27-2016, 12:26 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by toms silver 60
Most New Jersey guys wouldn't broadcast having to move a body!

Actually, you got some great responses here.
Are you stereotyping me because I'm from NJ and my last name ends in a vowel?
My ancestors are from northern and eastern europe.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:45 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Benton, yes, a 1915 Ford Model T.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:48 PM
Joe speed
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Ken is this going to be a Nother Barrett Jackson car for next year?��
Old 05-27-2016, 02:57 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,019 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Then the costs of renting a truck with a higher rated hitch would be well worth the money. No need to take a chance and then post a photo of what happened to your car after it did a few somersaults going down the highway.

AS you can see in the photo below...they are loading this dollie onto a hauler that has a very low floor and thus the angle to get it in is MUCH LESS than if a person were to use a roll-back. And with the angle of roll back (which I know is not being used in your scenario) is why I mentioned on how the dollie needs to be built. IF a roll back is being sued...I myself would use my dollie with only 4 wheels and not 6 wheels...so when it was being pulled up onto the roll back..there would not be such a long section of the dollie that would be hanging in the air and the wheels off the ground. That would just make me super nervous.

I KNOW that wood can be used as long as who ever is building it makes efforts to make sure that it is strengthened very well.

DUB

Dub, the angle really doesn't matter. Once the center or end wheels are off the ground, how much doesn't enter into flex or weight. The dolly is simply strong enough that it doesn't flex that much.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:58 PM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

I have used this dolly to transport 7 bodies halfway across Florida for paint. Body is bolted & strapped to dolly and dolly is supported at the corners and strapped to trailer. Never any problems. My 63 conv. is going to Mikes next week for paint the same way.
Mark
Old 05-27-2016, 06:06 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by pop23235
Dub, the angle really doesn't matter. Once the center or end wheels are off the ground, how much doesn't enter into flex or weight. The dolly is simply strong enough that it doesn't flex that much.
I DO AGREE that the dollie needs to be stout enough....and depending on the angle it is being pulled up on and the number of wheels....along with proper reinforcement of the body, etc. So much can come into play here....so with these factors ...the angle can come into effect as it has happen to some of my customers where I had to go to their house and look at what happened....which was not pretty.

DUB
Old 05-27-2016, 09:10 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Joe speed
Hey Ken is this going to be a Nother Barrett Jackson car for next year?��
This car is already sold to the second highest bidder of my last car...if that makes sense. ie. I'm building this car for someone.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:17 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DUB
I DO AGREE that the dollie needs to be stout enough....and depending on the angle it is being pulled up on and the number of wheels....along with proper reinforcement of the body, etc. So much can come into play here....so with these factors ...the angle can come into effect as it has happen to some of my customers where I had to go to their house and look at what happened....which was not pretty.

DUB
I respectfully disagree Dub. The angle has no affect on stress on the body or dolly. We're speaking here of the NuAir in particular. It doesn't flex enough to make any difference, nor would any other dolly that doesn't flex. The fact that the trailer I used had a low height deck didn't keep the wheels from leaving the ground during the loading. Once the wheel leaves the surface it doesn't matter if it is 1/2" or 10 feet. If your customer had a dolly insufficient to carry the body except with all wheels on a level surface, they don't really have a body dolly capable of transport. They just have a body stand.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:14 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by pop23235
I respectfully disagree Dub. The angle has no affect on stress on the body or dolly. We're speaking here of the NuAir in particular. It doesn't flex enough to make any difference, nor would any other dolly that doesn't flex. The fact that the trailer I used had a low height deck didn't keep the wheels from leaving the ground during the loading. Once the wheel leaves the surface it doesn't matter if it is 1/2" or 10 feet. If your customer had a dolly insufficient to carry the body except with all wheels on a level surface, they don't really have a body dolly capable of transport. They just have a body stand.
MY APOLOGIES...I DID use your photo when replying. So LOGIC would then seen to dictate that my comments that are different than yours are referring to the actual NuAir dollie.....when actually I should have stated that IF you build one...out of wood, steel or whatever...keep in mind the angle of the ramp you are pulling it up on....because the distance from the first set of wheel that contact the ramp and the middle set ...IF the dollie is not built very well..can cause for a problem. SO the wall thickness of the box tubing and or the type of wood and how you reinforce /strengthen it and the number of wheel you use on your dollie DOES make a difference depending on the angle of the ramp you are pulling it up on.

NOW...I am sure that cleared up my mistake on the previous reply. Because many people may see your photo and make one and not know what was used and then wonder why it bent.

DUB
Old 05-28-2016, 07:31 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by toms silver 60
Most New Jersey guys wouldn't broadcast having to move a body!
no offense Ken... but Best answer so far.. lol.

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 05-28-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:29 AM
Joe speed
Intermediate

Default Car builder

Originally Posted by Ken Sungela
This car is already sold to the second highest bidder of my last car...if that makes sense. ie. I'm building this car for someone.
Hey Ken looks like you are a custom car builder now. Good luck.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:10 AM
pop23235
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mark6669
I have used this dolly to transport 7 bodies halfway across Florida for paint. Body is bolted & strapped to dolly and dolly is supported at the corners and strapped to trailer. Never any problems. My 63 conv. is going to Mikes next week for paint the same way.
Mark
That should carry an Army tank!
Old 06-05-2016, 08:49 PM
Joe speed
Intermediate

Default Locar emergency brake cable

Hi Ken I ordered all the parts to do the electric emergency brake installation like on your first car.on the brake cable going to the break itself did you shorten the spring on the cable to make it fit and what kind of a connection did you use from the cable to the emergency brake lever on the back of the break.your help would be appreciated thanks.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:56 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey, you need the clevis kit.
Amazon.com: Lokar EC-80CC Rear Clevis Kit for Corvette: Automotive Amazon.com: Lokar EC-80CC Rear Clevis Kit for Corvette: Automotive
Cable slids into one end with the other end hooking around the black lever. I didn't cut the spring. Just pullup on the cable. Looks like you may have the universal kit which doesn't include the clevis. I used EC-81FU for Ford Explorer, so the spring lengths maybe different.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how to transport body on highway