C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] installating leather seat skins on 1965

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 10:26 PM
easyriderknucklehead
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default installating leather seat skins on 1965

do I remove the metal wire in the middle and the 2 other that attach to clips through the foam

there are more bars in this one too

I took my seat skins off on my 1965 roadster and they are original leather because inside when I took them off I see stamped c2 may 1965 on them. Kind of confused because the vin number did not show it had leather interior./? Anyway I got them off and am gonna take a chance on ordering some from Lseat.com who asked me to send mine in because they don t have the 1965 pattern I noticed . My question before I ship mine tomorrow is do I re- use the metal wiring that the hog clips attach to on the cover that is like a large u- shape in picture. Is the hard wire available new and where can I get hog rings etc if needed. I remember seeing a video of a guy installing the wire but can t find it . $300 seems really cheap for seat skins in leather compared to al noch and others. I read the revues too but maybe they have improved, how hard could it be if they do upholstery .??
Old 05-26-2016, 03:12 PM
Geralds57
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 596 Likes on 361 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Yes you can get new wire kits and hog rings. I can't believe they don't have patterns already. If they take them apart to make patterns, which they should, will they sew them back together? Does your trim tag say leather or you just want them? The vin tag will not have that information just the trim tag.

Last edited by Geralds57; 05-26-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:11 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by easyriderknucklehead
Anyway I got them off and am gonna take a chance on ordering some from Lseat.com who asked me to send mine in because they don t have the 1965 pattern I noticed.
Not sure I would chance that, I know nothing about Lseat but I do know if they don't fit correctly they will look awful.

I have always went Corvette vendors for this type of stuff, not saying it can't be done.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:45 AM
easyriderknucklehead
Racer

Originally Posted by Geralds57
Yes you can get new wire kits and hog rings. I can't believe they don't have patterns already. If they take them apart to make patterns, which they should, will they sew them back together? Does your trim tag say leather or you just want them? The vin tag will not have that information just the trim tag.

I shipped them and don t think I need the old ones back. the old ones had a stamp on the leather may 1965 ,c2 and even a signature on the middle . kind of neat . I think when we ran the vin before or was it the tag it said vinyl interior but this car has power windows and 4 wheel disc and I think the original buyer may have ordered all the good stuff including leather just the crappy 250 hp engine lol
Old 05-27-2016, 01:49 AM
easyriderknucklehead
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr D.
Not sure I would chance that, I know nothing about Lseat but I do know if they don't fit correctly they will look awful.

I have always went Corvette vendors for this type of stuff, not saying it can't be done.
risky I know but I took the gamble and sent them . I will let you guys see the end fitment and keep my fingers crossed. it wouldn t be the first time I did something twice , I just don t learn .
Old 05-27-2016, 11:55 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

risky I know but I took the gamble and sent them . I will let you guys see the end fitment and keep my fingers crossed. it wouldn t be the first time I did something twice , I just don t learn .
Been there done that myself. I look forward to seeing how they turn out.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:21 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Your second picture shows one of the clips that connects the listing wire to the seat bottom. Did you keep track of where each one went? There are many of them and they are different lengths. They are a real pain in the azz to install, especially if you use new foam,which I recommend.
These videos might help - http://www.corvetteamerica.com/cf/di...?specialid=961

Last edited by 1snake; 05-27-2016 at 12:25 PM. Reason: additional info.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:02 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Not to bash you decision on using the vendor you did.
But Al Knoch as these ready to go in leather. In fact if you sent them your seats they can redo all of it for you.
Sure it may be pricey but if you've never done it before.....
I always have paid for my education one way or another
Old 05-27-2016, 10:14 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

If they want your old seats for a pattern I would say that is a RED FLAG.
There are many quality vendors that already make leather covers. $300 for leather is too good to be true. What about the foam? Do they supply that also? Remember that you will have to live with them for a long time.
Sometimes cheap is not the least expensive. JMO
Old 05-28-2016, 01:12 AM
irwiny
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Here is another video for a 66 that uses cable ties to pull down the seal instead of using hog ties. It's pretty easy and I tried this when I had to fix some stitching on my one of my seat bottom covers.

Good luck with your purchase.

Irwin
The following users liked this post:
easyriderknucklehead (06-01-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 05:39 PM
easyriderknucklehead
Racer

I finally got the seat skins back from L seat in Houston ,TEXAS and it took a while but was cheap $300 but they forgot to send me the hog ring kit and pliers. The seat covers look good I hope they fir well. I am thinking of using the zap -ties like above now unfortunately but not feeling like it will last . maybe go look for some good ones to use . Anybody got any suggestions for installation. I watched the video from American ...
Old 07-18-2016, 06:15 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

I finally got the seat skins back from L seat in Houston ,TEXAS and it took a while but was cheap $300 but they forgot to send me the hog ring kit and pliers. The seat covers look good I hope they fir well. I am thinking of using the zap -ties like above now unfortunately but not feeling like it will last . maybe go look for some good ones to use . Anybody got any suggestions for installation. I watched the video from American ...
I have removed a lot of C2 seat covers that were older restorations. Many of them were installed using string instead of the wire clips. They were still intact. So, the zip ties will work. However, doing it that way you will have to estimate their length to get the seat to look right. I would order an installation kit and hog ring tool from a major vendor and do the job right.

Get notified of new replies

To installating leather seat skins on 1965

Quick Reply: [C2] installating leather seat skins on 1965