C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Front Wheel Bearing Torque

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 11:17 AM
Ryder5616
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Front Wheel Bearing Torque

Hello,
I have a '65 small block coupe. I had the front end rebuilt last year by a Chevy mechanic, who also replaced the wheel bearings, he used timkins. I've put around 500 miles on the car since. I noticed a popping sound/vibration last night when I turn left and right. Jacked the car up and the driver side wheel has about 1/2" play when rocked back and forth. I'm thinking the mechanic didn't torque the bearings correctly. I'm going to replace them this time. Anybody have a good method of torquing the wheel bearings correctly? Also, any idea why the bearing may have failed? Thanks Joe
Old 05-27-2016, 03:39 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,976 Likes on 1,058 Posts

According to Corvette Magazine torque spindle nut to 15 lb ft whole rotating assembly, then back off to first position that cotter key will go through.

IIRC I have seen and used the torque spec of 12 lb ft for this procedure.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:51 PM
Tmichaelson
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
According to Corvette Magazine torque spindle nut to 15 lb ft whole rotating assembly, then back off to first position that cotter key will go through.

IIRC I have seen and used the torque spec of 12 lb ft for this procedure.
15 is probably about right. Snug the nut in tight enough to seat the bearing assembly while turning the roter then back the nut off as described.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:51 PM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

That could leave it too tight depending on how close the cotter pin hole is. I would tighten the nut to 10-15 ft lbs then back off on the nut between 1/8 to 1/4 turn...between 1/8 and 1/4, not one or the other. I do these all the time on the job and don't use a torque wrench, but if you do this it won't be a problem.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:39 PM
RestoMike
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryder5616
Hello,
I have a '65 small block coupe. I had the front end rebuilt last year by a Chevy mechanic, who also replaced the wheel bearings, he used timkins. I've put around 500 miles on the car since. I noticed a popping sound/vibration last night when I turn left and right. Jacked the car up and the driver side wheel has about 1/2" play when rocked back and forth. I'm thinking the mechanic didn't torque the bearings correctly. I'm going to replace them this time. Anybody have a good method of torquing the wheel bearings correctly? Also, any idea why the bearing may have failed? Thanks Joe

Joe,

You might check condition of the bearing race as it could have been damaged. Not that difficult to knock them out and replace with new.

Resto
Old 05-28-2016, 09:15 AM
ILBMF
Drifting

I agree with that^

Wipe the races clean and they should be smooth and shiny with no imperfections. Same goes for the bearing rollers.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:58 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

The front wheel bearings should have clearance, and I believe the spec is one to five thou. The purpose of initially torquing them is merely to ensure that the races are fully seated. Torque them, then back off and hand tighten the nut and feel for clearance. It takes a little practice to find the minimum clearance position.

The thread count is 24/inch, and with the castle nut and two perpendicular cotter pin holes you can adjust in 1/12th turn increments which is .0035". Once you hand tighten the nut, install the cotter pin and rotate the wheel a couple of times. Then try going one more 1/12th of a turn, and repeat until you find the minimum clearance. It takes a little practice if you haven't done it before.

The proper adjusting procedure as above is in any GM service manual of the era.

Duke

Last edited by SWCDuke; 05-28-2016 at 10:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Dr L-88 (03-12-2017)
Old 05-28-2016, 01:36 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,275 Likes on 815 Posts

Everything written above assumes perfect threads on your spindle. Since many of these cars are 50 years old threads are not always perfect making it hard to adjust by hand. Some hands are much stronger than others offering another variable.
Spin the nut down till you feel it take out the play while spinning the tire.
Take a screwdriver and see if you can make the washer behind the nut slip a little side to side. If the washer moves freely add a little tension till you feel drag on the washer but can still slip it side to side. A small adjustment tighter shows up in immediate drag increase.
An old mechanic taught me this method 30 years ago and it always works to get minimum play without ever causing a bearing failure from over or under tension.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:19 PM
ILBMF
Drifting

That is all fine as long as the nut and washer's flat surfaces are smooth considering any scratches from previous wear or whatever a 50 year old part has been through.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:55 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,275 Likes on 815 Posts

Originally Posted by ILBMF
That is all fine as long as the nut and washer's flat surfaces are smooth considering any scratches from previous wear or whatever a 50 year old part has been through.
And there you have it, one more variable to consider. If the washer and nut are chewed up you might consider a replacement.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:45 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Westlotorn
Everything written above assumes perfect threads on your spindle. Since many of these cars are 50 years old threads are not always perfect making it hard to adjust by hand. Some hands are much stronger than others offering another variable.
Spin the nut down till you feel it take out the play while spinning the tire.
Take a screwdriver and see if you can make the washer behind the nut slip a little side to side. If the washer moves freely add a little tension till you feel drag on the washer but can still slip it side to side. A small adjustment tighter shows up in immediate drag increase.
An old mechanic taught me this method 30 years ago and it always works to get minimum play without ever causing a bearing failure from over or under tension.
I used a very similar method when helping our Virginia state inspector R&R the left front wheel on cars to check the brakes during inspections...

R&R'ed a dozen wheels a day and had the 'feel' down pat. We sure agonize over things now that weren't given a second thought when these cars were everyday drivers...
Old 03-12-2017, 08:55 AM
Tcheairs38655
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Front Spindle tab washer

I was unable to figure out how to start a new thread, so I'll ask here.
Does anyone know where I can find a front spindle washer with the little tab which prevents it from rotating for my 62 Corvette. Stupid (me) lost one while changing the wheel bearings.

I found that you have to buy the whole kit from Paragon, so I was hoping to find a used one somewhere.

Thanks,

Tcheairs
Old 03-12-2017, 09:11 AM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcheairs38655
Does anyone know where I can find a front spindle washer with the little tab which prevents it from rotating for my 62 Corvette. Stupid (me) lost one while changing the wheel bearings.

I found that you have to buy the whole kit from Paragon, so I was hoping to find a used one somewhere.

Thanks,

Tcheairs
At top of page above all the Stickys is a black button for a new thread. Suggest you start one for a better response.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:13 AM
Bill Pilon
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcheairs38655

Thanks,

Tcheairs
You should be able to get one at your local parts store that handles dorman or pioneer products.

Bill
Old 03-12-2017, 10:55 AM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

As Duke said, the correct way to do it is set a clearance after torqueing. There are 2 cotter pin holes in the spindle so if one is too tight, rotate the nut to use the other one.
I use the method shown below. Make sure to put the dial indicator on the face of the hub closest to the spindle so your measurements aren't influenced by the tilt of the hub due to a clearance.
Verne

Name:  IMG_5718.JPG
Views: 1515
Size:  1.28 MB
The following users liked this post:
Dr L-88 (03-12-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 01:14 PM
ejboyd5
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

It would be interesting to see what a dial indicator might reveal about the relative accuracy of the many 'old school' methods that seem to have worked successfully for so many years.

Get notified of new replies

To Front Wheel Bearing Torque

Quick Reply: Front Wheel Bearing Torque