C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

T5 5-speed speedo cable question for 1965 mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 02:37 PM
FLORIDA
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default T5 5-speed speedo cable question for 1965 mod

I have adapted my 1965 with a Camaro T5 5-speed. Does any have pictures of the best way to connect the speedo cable?
Old 05-27-2016, 06:06 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by FLORIDA
I have adapted my 1965 with a Camaro T5 5-speed. Does any have pictures of the best way to connect the speedo cable?
Hooking up the sppedo cable can be one of the most challenging aspects of the T5 install in a C2 - but there are ways to overcome the challenge! It's easier with sidepipes than the under-car exhaust system as well. The issue is that the input on the tailshaft is in the wrong place . . . right above the crossmember and pointed down because of the tilted bellhousing.

Because my car has sidepipes . . . it was somewhat easier. I tried 2 things . . . at first I tried to route the speedo cable between the crossmember "donut" on the drivers side, but the angle is pretty sharp. So, I ended up cutting a very narrow slot in the donut to give the cable a straighter shot into the input in the tailshaft. Looking at it now, I may have been able to route the cable above the donut between the crossmember and the floor as well. Here's a photo of my speedo cable connection:

Forum member "Slalomfiend" (Rhett) is currently wrapping up the restoration of his '67 with a T5 installation, and he found a 90 degree adapter that seems to work for hi. Pasted below is the thread - look at the 2nd photo in post # 344 to see how he did it!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...update-18.html

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Tom

Quick Reply: T5 5-speed speedo cable question for 1965 mod