C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

66 Big Block purchasing advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 12:28 AM
My addiction
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 43 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
First off a Top Flight is a different beast between a regional and a local chapter so beware. The local chapter is a friendly look-see. many times with judges with limited experience and the judging is less stringent; a regional is a different beast and many times the judges at regionals are national level. Secondly, the judging (as stated above) only judges the stamp pad as 'factory appearing'; they make no claims the engine is the 'born with' motor.

These cars are heavily (and fraudulently) faked because of their desirability and price tags. So all of the above is good advice..
Thanks for the warning. Even if I could be lucky enough to find a car with good paperwork the fact remains someone could have put a restamped block in. Looks like I'll be taking lots of pictures and asking lots of questions. Great advice!
Old 05-29-2016, 12:40 AM
My addiction
Racer

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
I will say this there is nothing wrong with owing and buying a fake BB mid year. as long as you pay the right price that is the key. numbers matching and paper work wont make the car drive any better. that is unless you want to buy a "investment" or "museum" type car you will never drive. if you intend to drive the car a NOM might be a better choice. I would prefer a NOM with paper work vs a looks to be a real stamp with no paper work. It might help if you disclose your location so maybe someone local to you can help or we can point you to someone.
I agree but I've yet to see a really well priced fake BB. I have full intention on driving it and I may be wrong but I just feel that I'll have better luck selling the numbers matching down the road? I appreciate your comment on the NOM with paperwork vs a looks to be real stamp with no paperwork. Definitely food for thought! I'm located West Coast near Seattle. Thanks
Old 05-29-2016, 12:45 AM
My addiction
Racer

Originally Posted by survivor66
Agree, if you add location to your profile, there may be some good comparables in your area. If you are in central Florida, I would be happy to have you look at my Survivor Top Flight with all the documentation as a reference. That would give you a good starting point. You might not find all the characteristics in another car, but would show what is important in a personal setting.
How much better does it get than this? What a gracious offer. I only wish I lived nearby to take you up on your offer
Old 05-29-2016, 12:49 AM
zpletcher
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 66 Big Block

Originally Posted by My addiction
I agree but I've yet to see a really well priced fake BB. I have full intention on driving it and I may be wrong but I just feel that I'll have better luck selling the numbers matching down the road? I appreciate your comment on the NOM with paperwork vs a looks to be real stamp with no paperwork. Definitely food for thought! I'm located West Coast near Seattle. Thanks
Greetings:

I know where a nice , white, 4 Speed, convertible Big Block is For Sale near me,
By the most reputable Corvette Man I know..
He is the only person to have touched my car in the 10 years I have had it.
I love mine, and you are on the right track!!

Good luck and PM me if you would like.

Cheerio,

Zale
Old 05-29-2016, 12:51 AM
My addiction
Racer

Originally Posted by karol
I told my friend to join the forum, which he did, to list his 66 427/425 4spd:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...oupe-4spd.html

What do you see wrong with it? Are these BB cars just not getting the prices any more? it is in the Northeast if you want to stop by.
I saw the ad on this car and it certainly seems to be one of the more well priced BB out there. That said I wont make the mistake of buying the wrong colour combination twice. It just doesn't do it for me.

In regards to prices. My personal opinion is that they're a lot of optimistic Sellers out there. I'd be interested to know how many of these Sellers would buy their car back for what they're offering?

Last edited by My addiction; 05-29-2016 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Adding comment
Old 05-29-2016, 01:12 AM
My addiction
Racer

Originally Posted by zpletcher
Greetings:

I know where a nice , white, 4 Speed, convertible Big Block is For Sale near me,
By the most reputable Corvette Man I know..
He is the only person to have touched my car in the 10 years I have had it.
I love mine, and you are on the right track!!

Good luck and PM me if you would like.

Cheerio,

Zale
Thanks but I'm after a 4 speed coupe only and preferably with air.

BTW your car looks beautiful
Old 05-29-2016, 06:48 PM
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I'll provide you with a little reflection. I walked through a regional NCRS judging event a couple of weeks ago. Some very beautiful cars. Their owners were often sitting on chairs, not unlike what you see at car shows. I'm sure they took a lot of pride in and had also put a lot of work or money (or both) into their cars. Of course, there were a lot of trailers in the parking lot.

As I drove my '67 home with it's original L71, I wondered who was getting the most enjoyment out of his car?? I think it was me.

In other words, if you want to drive a car (it is a lot of fun), don't get too hung up on numbers matching and correctness. Most car lovers won't care if your car has a numbers matching engine and the right U-joints on the rear axle. Just be careful that you don't pay too much for a forgery. Buy something in the color you like and with the engine and transmission you want (at the right price) and enjoy it.
The following users liked this post:
Lotsacubes (05-29-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 08:07 PM
My addiction
Racer

Originally Posted by 427435
I'll provide you with a little reflection. I walked through a regional NCRS judging event a couple of weeks ago. Some very beautiful cars. Their owners were often sitting on chairs, not unlike what you see at car shows. I'm sure they took a lot of pride in and had also put a lot of work or money (or both) into their cars. Of course, there were a lot of trailers in the parking lot.

As I drove my '67 home with it's original L71, I wondered who was getting the most enjoyment out of his car?? I think it was me.

In other words, if you want to drive a car (it is a lot of fun), don't get too hung up on numbers matching and correctness. Most car lovers won't care if your car has a numbers matching engine and the right U-joints on the rear axle. Just be careful that you don't pay too much for a forgery. Buy something in the color you like and with the engine and transmission you want (at the right price) and enjoy it.
I couldn't agree with you more! I don't want a car that I can't drive or dump the clutch on and burn some rubber. That's what they were built for!! The toughest thing I'm having trouble with is the pricing? It seems regardless of paperwork or numbers matching/non matching everyone wants in most cases $69,900. for NOM and $75,000. + for a numbers matching (whether bogus or not) ?. Add into the equation Sunfire Yellow with air/4 speed I could be looking a long time lol : )

Hey I've just started my search and I'd now settle for a 67 Sunfire Yellow coupe with high output 327 4 speed. Air I can always add.

Appreciate your comments!
Old 05-29-2016, 08:37 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

If your limiting your car search to one year, one engine, with AC, and one color you are really limiting your options. While I admire you for wanting that one car ( can't blame you I like that car you want). You might want to open up to other colors. If not you could be waiting for a while.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:46 PM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

I couldn't agree with you more! I don't want a car that I can't drive or dump the clutch on and burn some rubber. That's what they were built for!! The toughest thing I'm having trouble with is the pricing? It seems regardless of paperwork or numbers matching/non matching everyone wants in most cases $69,900. for NOM and $75,000. + for a numbers matching (whether bogus or not) ?. Add into the equation Sunfire Yellow with air/4 speed I could be looking a long time lol : )

Hey I've just started my search and I'd now settle for a 67 Sunfire Yellow coupe with high output 327 4 speed. Air I can always add.

Appreciate your comments!
Here's your car:

Old 05-29-2016, 08:47 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by karol
I told my friend to join the forum, which he did, to list his 66 427/425 4spd:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...oupe-4spd.html

What do you see wrong with it? Are these BB cars just not getting the prices any more? it is in the Northeast if you want to stop by.
I have looked at this post several times, the '66 SB Milano Maroon/Saddle that currently resides in my garage in a series of boxes garners enough attention from the neighbors that I could sell that old car, add about 15K and get this coupe, the same colors and my favorite drivetrain.

Ray
Old 05-29-2016, 10:24 PM
My addiction
Racer

Originally Posted by SW Vette
Here's your car:

Thanks!

I saw this and another located in Arizona with air but the white interior is what's holding me back! Call me picky!

Last edited by My addiction; 05-29-2016 at 10:24 PM. Reason: wrong emotion
Old 05-29-2016, 10:28 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Thanks!

I saw this and another located in Arizona with air but the white interior is what's holding me back! Call me picky!
It will look a hole lot better in person. It's a great combo. And I can assure you at a show you will be the only one with yellow on white
Old 05-30-2016, 10:33 AM
71scgc
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

I wasn't too sure about the white/blue combo interior in my 65 L-78.
I had always wanted black.

Then I saw it in person.

I'm glad I was open to different colors. The white is tough to keep clean, but it really pops, and is the main thing people comment positively about when looking at the car.

Besides the 396...

Carter
Old 05-30-2016, 12:11 PM
My addiction
Racer

I really think it has to do with the color combination. Blue/black with white interior I think look great. I've seen white with blue and white interior and it just didn't do it for me? To each their own I guess?
Old 05-30-2016, 08:46 PM
Carlsbadliving1
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The search is worthy of your time. We own a restored to original '67 327 coupe. Really pondered when searching a few years back whether to go for a non-matching numbers BB or a fully restored matching numbers SB with original tank sticker & protecto-plate for similar dollars. Narrowed our search and found a newly completed small block recognizing that our "personal" taste runs towards restoration as originally equipped in St. Louis with documentation.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:54 PM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Lotsacubes
I tried to hire Al to do a pre-buy assessment. He only provides services to the owner. I presume due to litigation risk. Take your time and enjoy the hunt/education.
Ask the seller to arrange Al Grenning's service .
Old 05-30-2016, 11:31 PM
My addiction
Racer

Originally Posted by 63split63
Ask the seller to arrange Al Grenning's service .
I could see this as a benefit to both Seller and Buyer and it would certainly clean up the sport in short order if every Seller did it
Old 05-31-2016, 06:54 AM
Todd H.
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared))
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

If a BB '67 coupe in yellow 4sp preferably with air is what you want you should hold out for that. These cars exist, but finding them, especially affordably, can take awhile. But you already seem to know that.

In post #20 you said you were concerned about resale value. This is a subject that riles up some here, but it's a legitimate concern to someone like me since a toy that costs over $50,000 is difficult to justify at my income level. I like yellow, and you like yellow, but most people don't. That might to affect your resale. I've owned a few yellow Corvettes. When I sold them, most callers would hang up when they heard the color. But I did sell them. I could have gotten more if they were red-black-silver or maybe white. So that guy that's going to put his yellow BB up for sale this summer has to know guys like you aren't going to ring the phone off the hook, and hopefully the price reflects that. But it might affect you when you sell someday.

That said, there doesn't seem to be many yellow '67 coupes for sale right now. I did a quick search. Too bad you don't like convertibles. I found a nice looking one in Florida, but it's not only a convert, it's also a glide/300hp... https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/5609566979.html
BB '67s are never cheap; especially the 400hps. Good that you're willing to add the air. It's also good to be open to SBs, but don't do it if the BB is what you really want.

Patience. Buy what you want. These cars don't grow on trees, but neither do buyers.

Quick Reply: 66 Big Block purchasing advice