C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] 58 Front Turn Signals - All of a Sudden

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 10:31 PM
Bomba_MC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 58 Front Turn Signals - All of a Sudden

Well, I have LED's in both the taillights and from signal lights with the electronic flasher. They have always worked perfectly, but tonight we went for a drive and after about an hour of some cruising, we stopped for a coffee. When we left to head home, now each time I use the signal lights, BOTH FRONT signal lights flash. The taillights work fine, but both front signal lights flash no matter whether I am turning left or right. All this time they worked fine , tonight they started with this issue.

Can anyone offer any ideas \ thoughts on what could possible cause this to start happening?????
Old 05-29-2016, 01:44 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Marty,
It sounds like you might have a problem with the turn signal switch or with the wires in the steering column.
I would first turn the key on and wiggle the turn signal lever gently up and down and see what happens. Then also check the flasher to be sure the ground wire is making a good connection.
If both front lights still come on look for a short in the wires coming out of the steering column.ground.
Sounds like a typical old Corvette electrical problem although I have not encountered this particular situation.
Be patient and you will figure it out.
Bruce B
Old 06-03-2016, 11:40 AM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

The front signal lights are shorted together. Do you have a wiring diagram?
I would unclip either the left or right wire from the connector coming from the steering column and then try your signal again. If both come on, then you now your short is forward of that point.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:28 PM
flyingb
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I just had a problem with brake lights. I pulled the Steering wheel and cleaned up the cam and lubricated the moving poing and used light oil on others. All lights work perfect. I also just installed LED I got from Ohiovet. They work great. It was nice to see a car pull up behind me with my foot on break and see 4 bright lights in his grill.

Get notified of new replies

To 58 Front Turn Signals - All of a Sudden

Quick Reply: [C1] 58 Front Turn Signals - All of a Sudden