C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Heard A "Click" . . . Then The Gauge Lights Went Out!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 10:09 AM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

Default Heard A "Click" . . . Then The Gauge Lights Went Out!

Cranked up my '66 Friday @ dusk to make a quick run to CVS to pick up a prescription. I ran the whole way there and back just on the parking lights - everything seemed fine with all of my lights - including the dash gauge lights - working correctly.

Hit the garage @ 5:30 Saturday morning to head out to Cars & Coffee in Great Falls, VA. Since it was fairly light out already, I had planned to run the whole way there on parking lights as well. When I pilled the headlight ****, my dash gauge lights came on for a split-second, then I heard a faint "click" and they went dark! All other lights - dash warning lights, turn signal indicators, interior courtesy lights, parking lights and brake lights - work just fine.

I've checked the fuses and everything looks good. I'm thinking it's time for a new headlight switch? . . . your thoughts?

Have a great Memorial Day weekend guys!

Tom
Old 05-29-2016, 10:13 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Did you check your tail light fuse? If it blows you will lose dash lights, in addition to the instr lamp fuse. Either or both will kill your dash lights.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:16 AM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Did you check your tail light fuse? If it blows you will lose dash lights, in addition to the instr lamp fuse. Either or both will kill your dash lights.

Upon further investigation . . . I took the panel fuse out to get a good look at it (it looked fine when I checked the panel), and it turns out that the fuse did blow (boy that wire inside is incredibly thin!). Now I'm off to the auto parts store for some 4 AMP fuses.

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-21-2020, 09:59 PM
PGPierce
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think there is a ballast on the main fuse block it’s a silver can up high on the block.sometimes there is a reset ballast but it’s suppose to reset once it has cooled down your 66 may or not have this u need a full schematic or someone with wireingknowledge
Old 01-21-2020, 10:07 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,184 Posts

This is a 4 year old thread - I’m just guessing here but I think the OP has probably solved the problem by now.........
Old 01-21-2020, 11:06 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

As a matter of fact, he fixed it four years ago with an "instr" fuse, as he said in post #3.

Get notified of new replies

To Heard A "Click" . . . Then The Gauge Lights Went Out!

Quick Reply: Heard A "Click" . . . Then The Gauge Lights Went Out!