C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Ignition Shielding Orig or Repro?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 03:00 PM
johngandersonjr
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Ignition Shielding Orig or Repro?

Hello,

I have a couple pieced of ignition shielding I will be getting rid of as I purchased a new kit.

Is there a way to tell if the old stuff I have is reproduction or original?

I have the top cover, and both right and left verticals.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:18 PM
bluzrocker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default I have

I have old and new....but have had sooooo much problems with shorting and grounding...I suppose if they are installed to perfection they work and look good.....wires on dist and coil wire have to be just so so....the length and location is tuff to get IMHO other will have to chime in on the repop v/s OEM or NOS
Originally Posted by johngandersonjr
Hello,

I have a couple pieced of ignition shielding I will be getting rid of as I purchased a new kit.

Is there a way to tell if the old stuff I have is reproduction or original?

I have the top cover, and both right and left verticals.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:25 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I have had shielding on 3 cars for many years with no problems.
The new stuff has nice pretty spot welds all in a row.
The original spot welds don't look pretty and not all lined up.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:29 PM
johngandersonjr
Racer

Originally Posted by ohiovet
I have had shielding on 3 cars for many years with no problems.
The new stuff has nice pretty spot welds all in a row.
The original spot welds don't look pretty and not all lined up.
That is what I have.

I have a 67 but the top is off a late 65 as it has the plastic rivets. The top has some tarnish but I just used some Maas chrome polish and it cleans right up.
Attached Images  
Old 05-29-2016, 03:40 PM
vark_wso
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

John

Original distributor covers were fabricated with two different grades of stainless steel -- that is, the top section will be non-magnetic (likely 304) while the skirt section is strongly magnetic (likely 430). The reproduction distributor covers are all non-magnetic grade throughout.

Regarding the verticals -- the original LH verticals have poor plating, sometimes exhibiting typical chromium shine only on the driver's side, outboard surface. The front & rear surfaces will usually have horizontal striation marks from the stamping/drawing dies & rather crumby plating optics. A repro LH vertical has great plating, no such marks. I'm not familiar with the difference in OEM or repro RH verticals, but would expect the repro to have the superior plating. The RH is a weldment, so there is less probability of die marks from deep drawing. Both of these pieces are plated carbon steel, not stainless.

Jeff
Old 05-29-2016, 03:45 PM
johngandersonjr
Racer

Originally Posted by vark_wso
John

Original distributor covers were fabricated with two different grades of stainless steel -- that is, the top section will be non-magnetic (likely 304) while the skirt section is strongly magnetic (likely 430). The reproduction distributor covers are all non-magnetic grade throughout.

Regarding the verticals -- the original LH verticals have poor plating, sometimes exhibiting typical chromium shine only on the driver's side, outboard surface. The front & rear surfaces will usually have horizontal striation marks from the stamping/drawing dies & rather crumby plating optics. A repro LH vertical has great plating, no such marks. I'm not familiar with the difference in OEM or repro RH verticals, but would expect the repro to have the superior plating. The RH is a weldment, so there is less probability of die marks from deep drawing. Both of these pieces are plated carbon steel, not stainless.

Jeff
Based upon what all have said I think these are OEM. The left vertical has poor plating, I can see the lines are you talking about in the RH.

I am going to be getting rid of them as I have another set. I just did not want to advertise them incorrectly.
Attached Images     
Old 06-14-2016, 10:13 AM
Mikey Hawks
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just installed my repo shield (Paragon Corvette) and found the the coil wire is preventing the top shield from sitting down far enough to bolt on. Did / does anyone have a similar issue and if so, what was done to correct it? Are there different size coils? Maybe mine is wrong. The coils and shield bracket is new as well and the coils is sitting as low as the bracket will allow. Thanks.

HITS THE BOTTOM OF BRACKET.

SHOWS THE DIFFERENCE IN HEIGHT BETWEEN THE DIZZY AND COIL.

Last edited by Mikey Hawks; 06-14-2016 at 10:58 AM. Reason: PICS
Old 06-14-2016, 08:30 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey Hawks
Just installed my repo shield (Paragon Corvette) and found the the coil wire is preventing the top shield from sitting down far enough to bolt on.
Nothing wrong with the height of the coil vs. the distributor cap - you need a longer coil wire.
The following users liked this post:
Mikey Hawks (06-15-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition Shielding Orig or Repro?

Quick Reply: [C2] Ignition Shielding Orig or Repro?