C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Issue with windshield rubber

Old 06-18-2016, 08:41 AM
GKO777
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Issue with windshield rubber

My '63 coupe was not exactly fun to drive in the rain, as the water came in over the dash...

That's why I decided to replace the rubber and seal it properly. At least, that was my idea...

So I ordered new molding clips from Paragon, windshield rubber from CorvetteRubber and bought a rope to get the windshield in again.

Windshield went out without a problem. apparently, no sealant was used, so it was all clean. I decided to use sealant to make sure it was watertight. I wrapped the new rubber around the windshield. It seemed a bit loose on the bottom, but maybe that's normal?

When we tried to put it back in (bottom first), the rubber would hit the roof on the upper corners. No matter what we tried, we couldn't get the rubber to lay down on the body edge so there was no use trying to pull the rope.

Eventually, I called in some help and they put the rubber in first, and then the glass. This worked, although the rubber stayed 'open' on the bottom.

Long story short:
Good news: no rust found
bad news: windshield leaks even more then it did before

What did I do wrong? I want to order new rubber and try again, but I'm worried I'll run in to the same problem of not getting the windshield + rubber to lay down properly on that edge...

Name:  WP_002095.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  176.9 KB
Old 06-18-2016, 12:38 PM
irwiny
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Did you try installing the trims and maybe your glass could be off center to cause the leak? Also the final step of adding the sealant between gasket and glass?

Here is a video regarding the string installation with a Mustang. It's pretty good and helped me.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...35&FORM=VRDGAR

Also this web page was very helpful:
http://www.stl-vettes.com/65Vette/wi...windshield.htm

Be sure to have a the good windshield suction cup tool to shift the glass after you have pulled the string. You should be able to slightly shift the windshield when floating in the gasket after pulling the rope and mounted. The small shift in the glass helps in getting the trims installed.

I used a thinner rope like twine and a lot of white grease. Also sprayed the lot of soapy liquid like 409 on the gasket during the installation. Also don't make the mistake of having the rope pull start from the top. I recall reading about putting the gasket in the sun helped.

I clean off the surface rust and brushed on some black rustoleum paint to be safe.

I didn't do a leak test and added sealant between glass and gasket. I was happy to have the everything installed with the trims. The sealant is a pain to clean off and installing the trims was toughest task.

My issues were with the trim clips had failed and my trims were popping off and the only way to repair the bad clips was to remove the windshield.

Good luck...

Irwin
The following users liked this post:
GKO777 (06-18-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 06:47 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

When we install a windshield before any moldings go on we put between the windshield and the glass what is called "Auto Bedding Compound". Our shop nick name is "No Dry" because the stuff never dries. Once we put this under the weatherstrip between the glass and then we put it under the rubber between the channel. It comes in a caulk tube and is easy to install. If you do this it'll stop leaking without buying another weatherstrip.

You'll just have to remove the windshield moldings again so you can get the rubber elevated enough to place it in there. And tape off the windshield because this stuff is a bear to clean up so tape off about 4" past the windshield gasket and around your car as well. You should be able to find this at your local parts store.... or 3m dealer.. if not, I've posted a link below to the cheapest I found on the net.

http://www.afterhoursautoparts.com/3...xWYaAkay8P8HAQ

Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 06-19-2016 at 06:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GKO777 (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 04:02 PM
GKO777
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the replies, but I'm still confused why I wasn't able to get the windshield with the rubber to lay down on the body edge properly. No matter what I tried, it simply didn't fit in the opening.

Nobody experienced this issue before?
Old 06-21-2016, 04:34 PM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,042 Likes on 574 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It takes a lot of pushing on the glass and twisting of the rubber to get it all to sit flat on the glass and in the body. It is hard to explain. One hand inside the car the other outside and twist rubber into position.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:52 PM
irwiny
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by GKO777
Thanks for the replies, but I'm still confused why I wasn't able to get the windshield with the rubber to lay down on the body edge properly. No matter what I tried, it simply didn't fit in the opening.

Nobody experienced this issue before?
Are you starting from the center / bottom and pulling the strings (left & right) starting from the bottom from the inside of the car? While your pulling on the string make sure the gasket seats correctly with the body. After you get about 1/2 done pulling the strings, push the windshield lower into the bottom with your suction and palms. The windshield should be able move a little within the gasket to give you a little more space for the top seal. After the glass is installed, you then may need to make some adjustments in areas where the gasket is partial blocking the clip.

Irwin
I hope you didn't apply and sealer between the glass and gasket before installing the gasket and windshield. This is done after the glass/gasket and trims are installed.

My gasket and clips were purchased from LI because I didn't want to take any chances with the installation.

Irwin

Get notified of new replies

To Issue with windshield rubber

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [C2] Issue with windshield rubber