C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

53 54 oil pan questions

Old 06-25-2016, 10:28 AM
68RPOL71
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 31 Posts

Default 53 54 oil pan questions

I've seen some "original" pans for sale but they look converted to me as the front seems to have had conversion work done to them with some sort of glue or sealer inside the very front area.

Can anyone confirm if factory correct 53 - 54 pans should have the inside front area coated with a sealer or is that a good indication of a converted passenger car pan?

Thanks for any help
Old 06-25-2016, 04:13 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by 68RPOL71
I've seen some "original" pans for sale but they look converted to me as the front seems to have had conversion work done to them with some sort of glue or sealer inside the very front area.

Can anyone confirm if factory correct 53 - 54 pans should have the inside front area coated with a sealer or is that a good indication of a converted passenger car pan?

Thanks for any help
Not sure what you were looking at or who was showing it to you but I have never seen a 53 or a 54 oil pan with some kind of conversion or some kind of coating or sealer on the inside or outside of the oil pan. I would think that a sealer on the inside of the oil pan would not be a good deal in case it came off in the oil and you can bet that if it would have been there from the factory that it would never have lasted 60 + years. I do believe that Bubba was trying to sell you some BULL S-it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 53 54 oil pan questions