C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Epoxy for the gas door emblem 1963

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 04:53 PM
Tonytz06
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Epoxy for the gas door emblem 1963

Hello;

Can someone tell me what epoxy is used for the gas door emblem? I have been told Devcon 5, but which one?

Thank you and Happy Fourth of July.

Tony
Old 07-02-2016, 09:13 AM
roberts427
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts

not sure what u are trying to accomplish. I am in the process of restoring some early doors so I am a little versed at these.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:41 PM
Tonytz06
Pro

Thank you for the reply;

I am replacing the fuel door emblem on my 63, which is an early year car and held in place by six tabs on the door assembly. The metal plate that also contains the roller, is then epoxied to the back of the emblem. And that is what I need the information on, the epoxy as not all epoxy is compatible with plastic.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:33 AM
roberts427
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tonytz06
Thank you for the reply;

I am replacing the fuel door emblem on my 63, which is an early year car and held in place by six tabs on the door assembly. The metal plate that also contains the roller, is then epoxied to the back of the emblem. And that is what I need the information on, the epoxy as not all epoxy is compatible with plastic.
The tabs hold everything in place. there was never any type of glue etc, used. If u try to use something to hold it in place it usually can be seen when looking from the front.
I have a nice one if you r interested.email corvette@aol.com
Old 07-04-2016, 12:58 PM
Tonytz06
Pro

I tried to send this to your email address but it would not go thru.

On the early year 1963, the tabs hold the emblem in place, but the 5" dia. latching plate is epoxied to the back of the emblem. The plate has a recessed area where the tabs are making it impossible for them to hold the plat and emblem in place. Mine is the factory original and I have taken it apart and that is how it was assembled. I believe the later year 63's were done differently.
I had a hell of a time bending the tabs up but was lucky and didn't break any. If yours is an early one if you lift the door up there is a little hole just behind the roller bracket and most likely, on mine, you can see some of the excess epoxy.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:18 PM
Tonytz06
Pro

I found a photo of an original, and you are correct. Mine is not a virgin, looks like someone had replaced the emblem before and broke the tabs. That's why the plate was epoxied to the emblem, the tabs were to short, only long enough to hold the emblem.

If you have a photo of yours, please send it to me. My email is:
tonyz06@sbcglobal.net

Thanks again;

Tony
Old 07-07-2016, 11:50 AM
roberts427
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tonytz06
I found a photo of an original, and you are correct. Mine is not a virgin, looks like someone had replaced the emblem before and broke the tabs. That's why the plate was epoxied to the emblem, the tabs were to short, only long enough to hold the emblem.

If you have a photo of yours, please send it to me. My email is:
tonyz06@sbcglobal.net

Tony
I have been on the road, I will send u a pic tonite. thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Epoxy for the gas door emblem 1963

Quick Reply: Epoxy for the gas door emblem 1963