C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Car Transporter -Steel Toy Carriers any feedback ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 03:49 PM
JohnC_01
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Transporter -Steel Toy Carriers any feedback ?

Hey Everybody !

First, Happy 4th of July to you and all your families !!!!

Need some help on a final decision and I hope to provide how things went once this is all done and completed. Moving the family from CT to NC Charlotte area due to work. Need to move my 66 Vette and also my 66 C10 pickup. I have searched BBB and read all reviews in and out of all different car transporters websites. I am staying away from the brokers and Uship. I have tried to do my due diligence with calling, speaking with and sniffing out any possible issues from some of these car carriers. I have called all the top dogs and got pricing, Intercity, Relaiable, Horseless, Sunday and Passport. I spoke to Ken at Steel Toy Carriers, seems real accommodating and very polite and nice. He is very flexible with his pick and drop dates. Reading prior post I have seen Dennis post about Steel Toy, anyone else use or hear of Ken from Steel Toy, good or bad ??????
Please let me know, all of you Gents have helped me out from all sorts of posting, reading and learning on some fixes in the past. Would love your thoughts if you used Ken Steel Toy Carriers.
Much obliged !!! Enjoy some cold ones this weekend !!
John

8/1 - Update: I went with Thomas Sunday transporters from PA, and they were absolutely FANTASTIC !! Did exactly what they said they would and took great care of both of my cars. Very fair priced and excellent to work with. I would highly recommend them and definitely use them again !!
Thanks, John

Last edited by JohnC_01; 08-10-2016 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Update
Old 07-01-2016, 03:53 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Google is your friend - http://www.lamborghini-talk.com/vbfo...not-use-59897/
The following users liked this post:
JohnC_01 (07-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 04:59 PM
denneys69
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

John,
If your not comfortable with Steel Carriers here's another good company.
Plycar Carriers. plycargroup.com
I used them several years back for a Ron Fellows Z06 from Texas to Charlotte. Kept me updated and car arrived ahead of time. Just last month a friend in Florida had a 36 Ford moved from Mass. Again he was totally satisfied with their service. Good luck with your move,
Dennis
JohnC_01 (07-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 10:46 PM
USMC 0802
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 959 Likes on 490 Posts
USMC

I don't have any experience with Steel Toys...

FWIW I've used Intercity Lines a few times and they're awesome. I just moved to FL and they picked up in PA and dropped off in FL exactly as I requested (and within 3 minutes of when the driver said he'd be there).

The driver covered my car with a soft cover and then plastic. It was as immaculate when they dropped it off as when it was loaded.

I can't recommend Intercity enough.

Good luck.
JohnC_01 (07-02-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 05:16 PM
Leadrope
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have used Steel Toy Carriers and was satisfied with the haul when I bought my 65. They used an enclosed carrier and Cowboy was the driver. He kept up with me via cell phone/text. Guess it goes to show anything can happen. I guess the best thing to do if come to a full understanding with any hauler so your expectations are not unreasonable. I have recommended them to others and they have emailed me they were satisfied with their haul. I priced him again and Ken has gotten a little but more expensive than in the past as I remembered but they don't haul more than 2 cars at a time and they don't drop them off a depot to wait another driver going another direction. I have tried Inercity but they don't haul everywhere. Good luck, unless you ride along you will never know..........
Old 07-04-2016, 01:13 AM
newps
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just got my new '67 this past week and used Intercity as recommended by many others on this forum and I was completely satisfied. They may be a little more expensive than some of the others, but my car was double wrapped and the driver helped me reinstall a bushing on the stabilizer bar that had come loose. Super friendly, highly professional--well worth it!!
Old 07-04-2016, 06:50 AM
MaineDoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 60 Posts

I just bought a 64 Riviera out of Texas and used Intercity despite the fact that the Buick is not nearly as expensive as our Corvettes. They have hauled for me previously and have been great. Their cost was about $400 more than the lowest quote but $600 less than one of the other big boys.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:55 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by MaineDoc
I just bought a 64 Riviera out of Texas and used Intercity despite the fact that the Buick is not nearly as expensive as our Corvettes. They have hauled for me previously and have been great. Their cost was about $400 more than the lowest quote but $600 less than one of the other big boys.
Wait, Bill, does that mean we may be seeing one of these in your future???

GUSTO
Old 07-04-2016, 12:57 PM
MaineDoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 60 Posts

It is on the way as we speak. It will join the 66 convertible, the 2014 convertible, and the 56 Belair convertible. First automatic so I must be getting old.

Get notified of new replies

To Car Transporter -Steel Toy Carriers any feedback ?

Quick Reply: Car Transporter -Steel Toy Carriers any feedback ?