C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 Body lifting

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 10:06 AM
driftwood26
Driftwood 26
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C2 Body lifting

What is the best method of lifting a 67 Coupe body off the frame? I have access to a lift and a dolly to set it on after we lift it off. My feeling is that straps are the safest way. Any and all input will be appreciated.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:14 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Just get 10 friends to help lift it off....4 on each side the other 2 can roll the frame out of the way and help guide it on to dolly...
Old 07-12-2016, 10:18 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,938 Likes on 4,780 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

If it's a two post lift put the arms under the rocker channels with ballest weight in the rear of the car and lift it up
Old 07-12-2016, 10:23 AM
DAN70
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Lot of videos on YouTube. Good luck and have fun. Be sure to post pics.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:26 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

10 guys is the inexpensive way to do it.

4 body lift straps and a lift gives you more control especially when you're putting the painted body back on.

I've done or been involved with 20+ lifts many using the 4 straps.

I did 6 lifts on my 67 Coupe just to get the bodywork correct.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:24 AM
rick piras
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Taking the body off can be done pretty easily with friends just lifting. But if you have access to a two post lift, by all means use that like Nowhere Man suggests. Especially when it's time to drop the body back down. You'll be wanting to lower and fit-check the body a few times to make sure you're shimming the gaps between the frame and body, and having friends hang around for that process will burn through a lot of your beer. It's just much easier to do this with a lift, and take your time instead of rushing.
When you lift the body, keep an eye on the number, and locations, of the shims that will stick to the body and then drop off as things move around.
Good luck with the project,
Rick
Old 07-12-2016, 03:18 PM
quahog
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Body lift

Originally Posted by driftwood26
What is the best method of lifting a 67 Coupe body off the frame? I have access to a lift and a dolly to set it on after we lift it off. My feeling is that straps are the safest way. Any and all input will be appreciated.
I just put the body of my 67 coupe back on the frame. I used straps that I made up and a chain fall that was set up in the rafters of my garage. Very simple , safe and precise . easy peasy. Hope this helps Jeff
Old 07-12-2016, 03:28 PM
outofspec
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

I just lifted the body off my 1963 Corvette roadster last week, using a 2 Ton engine hoist, lifting straps, and the help of one buddy. After all the disconnections were made, it came off easily, in a little over an hour. The straps are a little unnerving, as they hug the body, with the center pull of the hoist, but no incidence. It lifted the body plenty high enough.
I considered 10 friends, but opted for the lift, and I'm glad I did. As Rick P explains, Setting it back down with shims, and alignment would be tough, in my opinion, with the buddy method. While it's happening you wish you had ten sets of eyes, so you want time on your side, that the straps offer.
You mention a lift? Not sure if it's 4 post or cherry picker you refer to. If it's the cherry picker (engine hoist) you'll want to shorten the straps. I actually cut the straps at the D ring and used 4 short ratchet straps with hooks to shorten and balance the load, worked great. Also, I'm not sure why more people don't mention it, but the wide hooks, on the lifting edge of the straps are much too narrow to grasp the body with any integrity. I needed to widen mine. One of my friends on the fire department used the jaws of life to pry the hooks wider. Worked great. In a post I read, one of the corvette parts suppliers said that everyone buys their straps from the same manufacturer, they are all the same, and all need to be widened.
It's a great feeling when it's over and resting on the dolly. I'll be relieved when it's on my new frame without incident. It's really not hard, just a little scary.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:02 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

I prefer using a 4 post lift for body removal and re-installation. It's a simple 1 man job.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:59 PM
DAN70
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I used the lift method, on my '54 with a bunch of guys, just in case. A C-2 can't be much different. It seems to me, less of a chance to mar the paint....
The following users liked this post:
driftwood26 (07-13-2016)
Old 07-12-2016, 05:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

You are correct.(in my opinion)

Having guys lift it off can be done as you can clearly see...but that is getting it off the frame

When it goes back on...the dynamic of human strength changes a bit due to these people now have to hold the body so it can be positioned back where it goes...and that is where "the safest way" does change a bit.

I use a chain fall from my ceiling with straps...so I can do them myself.

I also have a lift where I can catch the edge of rocker channels...and lift it up and get the frame positioned using a plumb bob...but it all depends on the car.

DUB
Old 07-13-2016, 04:41 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

2-post lift works great if you have it, I use a HF 1 ton Gantry Crane and 1 ton electric hoist.
The following users liked this post:
driftwood26 (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 05:31 PM
driftwood26
Driftwood 26
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Sandbagging...

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
If it's a two post lift put the arms under the rocker channels with ballest weight in the rear of the car and lift it up
How much ballast weight is needed? What do you use? Sandbags?
Old 07-13-2016, 05:36 PM
driftwood26
Driftwood 26
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DAN70
Lot of videos on YouTube. Good luck and have fun. Be sure to post pics.
Will do. Thanks
Old 07-13-2016, 05:44 PM
driftwood26
Driftwood 26
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by outofspec
I just lifted the body off my 1963 Corvette roadster last week, using a 2 Ton engine hoist, lifting straps, and the help of one buddy. After all the disconnections were made, it came off easily, in a little over an hour. The straps are a little unnerving, as they hug the body, with the center pull of the hoist, but no incidence. It lifted the body plenty high enough.
I considered 10 friends, but opted for the lift, and I'm glad I did. As Rick P explains, Setting it back down with shims, and alignment would be tough, in my opinion, with the buddy method. While it's happening you wish you had ten sets of eyes, so you want time on your side, that the straps offer.
You mention a lift? Not sure if it's 4 post or cherry picker you refer to. If it's the cherry picker (engine hoist) you'll want to shorten the straps. I actually cut the straps at the D ring and used 4 short ratchet straps with hooks to shorten and balance the load, worked great. Also, I'm not sure why more people don't mention it, but the wide hooks, on the lifting edge of the straps are much too narrow to grasp the body with any integrity. I needed to widen mine. One of my friends on the fire department used the jaws of life to pry the hooks wider. Worked great. In a post I read, one of the corvette parts suppliers said that everyone buys their straps from the same manufacturer, they are all the same, and all need to be widened.
It's a great feeling when it's over and resting on the dolly. I'll be relieved when it's on my new frame without incident. It's really not hard, just a little scary.

Glad your lift went well. I have a two post lift but am thinking I'll use straps with it instead of lifting on the frame directly. Maybe I'm overthinking it but feel that lifting directly on the frame invites the possibility of one of the pads slipping (if something catches) and spilling everything. So, I'm thinking that using the straps (I have the set from Long Island C.) and somehow getting them fastened to the four legs of the lift so that there is even lifting pressure all around.
Thanks!
Dan
Old 07-13-2016, 05:45 PM
DUB
Race Director

How much ballast weight is needed? What do you use? Sandbags?
Sand bags are fine if that is what you have.

The amount of weight in the rear is all dependent on how much you have still attached in the front.

If I had to guess in the amount that I use from time to time may be around 100 pounds. I never weighed what I have used because I just keep adding weight until I get it where I want it.

DUB
Old 07-13-2016, 05:47 PM
driftwood26
Driftwood 26
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1snake
I prefer using a 4 post lift for body removal and re-installation. It's a simple 1 man job.

I have a two post lift. Your setup looks great. If you had a two post lift would you use straps or put the pads of the lift directly on the body?
Thanks,
Dan

Get notified of new replies

To C2 Body lifting

Old 07-13-2016, 05:49 PM
driftwood26
Driftwood 26
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
Sand bags are fine if that is what you have.

The amount of weight in the rear is all dependent on how much you have still attached in the front.

If I had to guess in the amount that I use from time to time may be around 100 pounds. I never weighed what I have used because I just keep adding weight until I get it where I want it.

DUB
we're leaving probably the max amount of weight on the front (full body, dash) so we'll add 100 pounds in the back and see how it balances.
Thanks Dub
Dan
Old 07-13-2016, 05:51 PM
DUB
Race Director

Maybe I'm overthinking it but feel that lifting directly on the frame invites the possibility of one of the pads slipping (if something catches) and spilling everything. So, I'm thinking that using the straps (I have the set from Long Island C.) and somehow getting them fastened to the four legs of the lift so that there is even lifting pressure all around.
Thanks!
Dan
Dan,

Yes you more than likely can use the four legs and raise it that way...but your concern about one of the legs kicking out when it is being lifted by the rocker channels themselves can be stopped by incorporating a bent piece of steel that clamps to the rocker channel...and then clamps to the leg of the lift.

Hope goes all well for you and I am sure it will.

DUB
Old 07-13-2016, 05:56 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

It doesn't get any easier than using a 2 post lift. Take it slow and easy on the way up to make sure everything is disconnected and free. The closest point of interference is the lower rear fenders and the rear frame mount. Once that clears you are home free. Reverse procedure going back on and make sure the fenders clear the frame mounts on the way down. I like to put the chassis on skates so it can be easily moved side to side as well as front to rear to get everything aligned. Also have a floor jack handy to either raise the front or rear of the chassis to get it square to the body.

Quick Reply: C2 Body lifting