C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help me identify this carberator please

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 02:42 PM
Vette-O-saurus Rex
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help me identify this carberator please

Hello everyone,

I have been told my carberator is an AFB, not sure if by carter or edelbrock. The code on front left pad I took a picture of because it is extremely hard to see but I believe the numbers are 1407 0292 , the 92 is barely stamped looks like. I need to fix the choke, PO has it wire tied back for whatever reason. Been running it like this for a couple years. Runs rough until it gets warm, and then at low speeds and idle it still runs rough, but once up and running at constant speed runs great. I'm hoping a new choke will fix this.

Front left stamp

Carb
Old 07-14-2016, 02:50 PM
Tooth Doctor
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 201 Posts

The 1407 is a 750 cfm Edelbrock.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:56 PM
Vette-O-saurus Rex
Intermediate

Default Installing Electrical Choke to replace manual choke.

Ok thanks for that. After correctly identifying my carb I hoped I could tune the carb. Car idles good and runs in steady running great. When I take off sometimes it will stall or bog. Looked up on this carb it says accelerator pump probably. So I modified it and it got worse so I went the other direction and the idle went way up, just because the pin was so tight on the lower slot it was holding the idle open too far. Went back to center hole where it was and just tried tuning the two air/gas idle screws. It's a little better but still bogs down when taking off. I ordered a new electric choke to replace this wire tied manual one that is presently on it but I think this will only help idleing at cold starts etc. any suggestions??
Old 07-17-2016, 05:50 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I have an 800 cfm Edelbrock on a Plymouth that is a take off on a Carter AVS. It should be pretty close to your carb. I had lots of problems tuning the accelerator pump circuit and getting rid of a bog. Here is what I found. The accelerator pump well on these carbs is supplied by a V-notch in the upper part and fuel from the left bowl spills over into it to recharge it as the accelerator pump rises and uncovers the notch. This is quite a bit different than the original Carters that had a lower port with a check ball - it wasn't as critical to the height of the accelerator rod.

I took the lid off of mine and started measuring the depth of the notch and the length of the accelerator pump and it was well short of raising enough to uncover the notch and let fuel in. I suspected an incorrect pump plunger and ordered a new one specific to the model but it was of the same dimensions. Through more measurements I determined how high the pump had to rise to uncover the notch by at least a 1/32 inch so I could set the height above the cover in accordance with the Edelbrock instructions. It had to come up a lot - far above the specs from Edelbrock. But I finally got the link rod bent enough to get it high enough when the link was installed on the inner hole (per Edelbrock's spec for the 800 cfm carb). But that did it. This thing is in a fully loaded 67 GTX with AC, stock 440 and auto but I can now nail the throttle from a dead stop (no torqueing the converter) and it responds instantly and lights up the tires.

Here's a link to there carb manual if you need it.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...404_manual.pdf
Old 07-18-2016, 08:30 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I guess I should have added that instead of taking the whole carb apart and going through everything I did - you can simply try measuring the distance from the carb lid to the top of the plunger stem. Disconnect the link to the accelerator pump and let it extend up. Then bend the link to it until it will result in the top of the plunger stem resting about 1/8 inch higher above the lid than before when positioned in the hole nearest the pump. Try that. If still bogs, bend the rod and raise the plunger top a bit more.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:54 PM
Vette-O-saurus Rex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
I guess I should have added that instead of taking the whole carb apart and going through everything I did - you can simply try measuring the distance from the carb lid to the top of the plunger stem. Disconnect the link to the accelerator pump and let it extend up. Then bend the link to it until it will result in the top of the plunger stem resting about 1/8 inch higher above the lid than before when positioned in the hole nearest the pump. Try that. If still bogs, bend the rod and raise the plunger top a bit more.
Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Help me identify this carberator please

Quick Reply: Help me identify this carberator please