C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] car stalls again after a 20 minute drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 01:39 AM
easyriderknucklehead
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by babbah
Wow this post brings back many memories with the ongoing saga by the OP. Remember months ago??
lol thanks babbah you helped get it all working and where very patient with my electrical. All the lights ,horn ,speedo and tachometer even works again and the power windows are smooth.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:42 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

easyriderknucklehead,

I know that you probably don't want to hear this but, I must agree whole heartedly with bahbah and Leif which, is to replace that wiring harness. I'm not suggesting that you replace ALL of them, just the one in the engine bay.

I mean think about it for a minute. It's 50 friggin' years old, has taken tons of heat and weather all those years AND (this is a biggie) someone, or quite likely multiple someone's (and the odds are extremely good that at least ONE was Bubba ) have been monkeying around with it during those past 50 years on a harness that was meant to last maybe 10 to 20 years tops, and that's not even considering the Bubba factor.

With all the effort chasing your tail, screwing around with it and, throwing good $ at it trying to locate your gremlins you could have purchased a new harness, (they're only around $200.00 depending on year, motor, and accessories) have had installed by now and, at least have a good trouble shooting reference point or possibly, even fixed it in the process. Not to mention peace of mind.

Sorry if I'm coming across as an A-hole 'cause I'm am certainly not. But, if I were in your shoes I'd be on that new harness like stink on well, you know the rest. My .02

Gary

Last edited by Gary's '66; 07-23-2016 at 01:52 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:59 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
easyriderknucklehead,

I know that you probably don't want to hear this but, I must agree whole heartedly with bahbah and Leif which, is to replace that wiring harness.

Gary
I think its been brought up multiple times.
Not as bad a job as many think and "once and you're done" instead of playing "whack-a-mole" every few weeks with electrical issues
Old 07-23-2016, 08:40 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

You see what I mean by having a problem communicating. First off, JohnZ told you there was no ground to the ignition switch. Believe him.
Secondly, I asked you to check the fan and the courtesy lights. You checked the fan and several other things that work through the ignition. I was trying to eliminate the ignition switch or red wire at bulkhead, one or the other. The key being off or on would not affect the courtesy lights, but would kill the fan blower.
It sounds like you're on to something with the ignition, but I'm once again dropping out due to our "failure to communicate".
As an aside, I don't see why you keep checking the fuel pump when you already know you have no electrical ignition functions working when it dies. I wish you luck with your car, I'm sure it will eventually come together.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 07-23-2016 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:43 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Why do you guys continue to beat yourselves up?

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 07-23-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:42 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by easyriderknucklehead
that is a great question if anybody knows can I just remove the little white ballast resistor and how would I do the wires that go to it . yellow and white if I re call ?? I will focus on that after I finish with the bulkhead.
Next time it stalls easy fix go right to the coil if the wire coming from the ignition is not hot with ignition on its somewhere between there
all so check wires to cap and under cap
Old 07-23-2016, 12:07 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

[QUOTE=rtruman;1592688335]Next time it stalls easy fix go right to the coil and.........................replace the wiring harness!!!

Just thought I'd try to help.

Gary
The following users liked this post:
rtruman (07-23-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 12:17 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

Knuckles,
Don't take this wrong but you remind me of what my wife does to me sometimes. She'll ask me a question and then she doesn't listen to the answer. So, she'll ask me the question again and if she doesn't get the answer she wants...guess what...she'll ask me again. My question to you is simple...why come on this forum and ask a question and get incredibly clear, intelligent, knowledgeable answers...and, then don't follow the advice?? Very frustrating for those trying to help you.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:06 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Knuckles, that yellow wire going to your coil was originally black/pink and there is another black/pink wire on the same connection. The other wire goes to the top fuse in the fuse box. It powers the water temp gauge, fuel gauge, and parking brake alarm.

So if these three items don't function when the car dies, but everything else works, the problem is most likely the ignition switch or the connector on the back of it.

Go to page 25 on the attached PDF for more info.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:32 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by buns
Knuckles, that yellow wire going to your coil was originally black/pink and there is another black/pink wire on the same connection. The other wire goes to the top fuse in the fuse box. It powers the water temp gauge, fuel gauge, and parking brake alarm.

So if these three items don't function when the car dies, but everything else works, the problem is most likely the ignition switch or the connector on the back of it.

Good article I saved it
Old 07-23-2016, 08:42 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,941 Likes on 4,781 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
Knuckles,
Don't take this wrong but you remind me of what my wife does to me sometimes. She'll ask me a question and then she doesn't listen to the answer. So, she'll ask me the question again and if she doesn't get the answer she wants...guess what...she'll ask me again. My question to you is simple...why come on this forum and ask a question and get incredibly clear, intelligent, knowledgeable answers...and, then don't follow the advice?? Very frustrating for those trying to help you.
Seems to happen more often then not here of late.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:58 PM
easyriderknucklehead
Racer

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Seems to happen more often then not here of late.

seems to happen more often then not here of late!!!! what does that mean in Canadian! I can say the forums are awesome when people try and help and you understand them clearly and their intentions are to help but when I get a bunch of jibirish crap that doesn t make no sense (nowhere man is I gonna respect this) I have had a lot of help on this site but don t expect me to jump and be a puppet and do as you say and get offended when I take the advice of other members as well and trouble shoot . NOW GG65 vette it sounds like you know your **** when it comes to electrical and if you would have explained more clearly or thoroughly that when my cat dies and the fan for heater cuts out is different then the lights not working and that would tell me the ignition switch is no good O.k but I can not read your mind and as a novice only think o.k a few guys are focusing on red wire at firewall or ignition switch or pertronix . So I just wing it and finally with their help and yours have success today and find the problem !! IT was the red wire going to the ignition switch - the connector was kind of loose and has a little part that needed to be pulled up a bit to go into the plastic plug and stay in there tight. very easy fix!! I went for a long drive to decide if I wanted to sell this 1965 numbers matching corvette that still handles like a 1965 after an alignment . This site pissed me off after reading some guys get all bitch like today!! I had fun on here and really appreciate it but today not so much and hope I don t have any more electrical problems as those fellows really were helpful but moving on I am gonna meat some body guys next and hope they ate cool with me . OR I sell this car so make me an offer nad some may think it needs new wiring but I think it all works and besides 3 or 4 wires which are now fixed and not cracked or anything its good enough for a driver. I will consider a Porsche 911 for trade in and $40 000 American dollars and just buy another done by a perfectionist one day too. But the car is now running fine and does not stall and lets close this thread . Thanks to all that did indeed help, couldn t have done it without you.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:05 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,941 Likes on 4,781 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

My comment was not directed to you at all. Leif made the comment on posters not listening to good advice and only responding to what they want to here and not the truth. And I agree with him as a whole on this forum. It seems here lately that all the good advice is over looked for the easy way out.

Glad you got it figured out.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:11 PM
easyriderknucklehead
Racer

Originally Posted by buns

I want to save this but can t figure out how yet . Oh boy after reviewing my ignition wire has been bubba fied I don t see a yellow rrrrr . Thanks BUNS your awesome.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:13 PM
easyriderknucklehead
Racer

Old 07-23-2016, 11:21 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

If you mean how to save the PDF, my computer always asks if I want to, right up front, but once you open it click on 'file' on the upper left and it should give you the option to save it and where you want to save it.

Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2016, 11:34 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

seems to happen more often then not here of late!!!! what does that mean in Canadian! I can say the forums are awesome when people try and help and you understand them clearly and their intentions are to help but when I get a bunch of jibirish crap that doesn t make no sense (nowhere man is I gonna respect this) I have had a lot of help on this site but don t expect me to jump and be a puppet and do as you say and get offended when I take the advice of other members as well and trouble shoot . NOW GG65 vette it sounds like you know your **** when it comes to electrical and if you would have explained more clearly or thoroughly that when my cat dies and the fan for heater cuts out is different then the lights not working and that would tell me the ignition switch is no good O.k but I can not read your mind and as a novice only think o.k a few guys are focusing on red wire at firewall or ignition switch or pertronix . So I just wing it and finally with their help and yours have success today and find the problem !! IT was the red wire going to the ignition switch - the connector was kind of loose and has a little part that needed to be pulled up a bit to go into the plastic plug and stay in there tight. very easy fix!! I went for a long drive to decide if I wanted to sell this 1965 numbers matching corvette that still handles like a 1965 after an alignment . This site pissed me off after reading some guys get all bitch like today!! I had fun on here and really appreciate it but today not so much and hope I don t have any more electrical problems as those fellows really were helpful but moving on I am gonna meat some body guys next and hope they ate cool with me . OR I sell this car so make me an offer nad some may think it needs new wiring but I think it all works and besides 3 or 4 wires which are now fixed and not cracked or anything its good enough for a driver. I will consider a Porsche 911 for trade in and $40 000 American dollars and just buy another done by a perfectionist one day too. But the car is now running fine and does not stall and lets close this thread . Thanks to all that did indeed help, couldn t have done it without you.
turn on the fan and courtesy lights and drive until it dies and then tell me what happens to those two things when the car dies.

Above is copied and pasted from post 37. I don't know how that's asking you to read my mind. You still haven't answered it in this thread or in the other one from earlier. You have to troubleshoot one step at a time. If you're getting help, you have to give accurate answers or the help will not benefit you. The post you made immediately after that did not answer it, instead you said you checked the fuel pump again. Do you see how that could be frustrating?

Get notified of new replies

To car stalls again after a 20 minute drive

Old 07-31-2016, 08:41 PM
easyriderknucklehead
Racer

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
turn on the fan and courtesy lights and drive until it dies and then tell me what happens to those two things when the car dies.

Above is copied and pasted from post 37. I don't know how that's asking you to read my mind. You still haven't answered it in this thread or in the other one from earlier. You have to troubleshoot one step at a time. If you're getting help, you have to give accurate answers or the help will not benefit you. The post you made immediately after that did not answer it, instead you said you checked the fuel pump again. Do you see how that could be frustrating?

I understand my girlfriend agrees ,I guess my head hit the windshield pretty hard not wearing the seatbelt back in 1995!! I just installed lap belts in the vette this week for her but on my side the damn nut that is supposed to be where the seat bolts onto is missing and I got nothing to thread it in! I will see if I can get a nut welded in there or something . But anyway I guess I should have went with the obvious since when I previously reached under the ignition wiggled wires and it started!! I was chasing my tale for weeks and it was THE RED wire clip that goes into the plastic plug just needed a little tweeking (the little prong pulled out so it locks in and then when I push the ignition in it has good contact and ever since no problems. thanks for your help don t get me wrong you are still the wiring GURU and amaze me when you say things like how the lights and certain things working will eliminate I.E . switch or when we got the tail lights working and it was in the steering column ! the average joe like myself or even some local electricians spend endless hours $$$ troubleshooting and believe me I take every piece of advice I can get and just start and keep going until we figure it out. This forums thing is new to me and I love it -kind of addictive especially when you drive a cool car like a vette. I have been on other forums like Can am quad and I wish there were more people like yourself and members on this site .
Old 07-31-2016, 08:56 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

I understand my girlfriend agrees ,I guess my head hit the windshield pretty hard not wearing the seatbelt back in 1995!! I just installed lap belts in the vette this week for her but on my side the damn nut that is supposed to be where the seat bolts onto is missing and I got nothing to thread it in! I will see if I can get a nut welded in there or something . But anyway I guess I should have went with the obvious since when I previously reached under the ignition wiggled wires and it started!! I was chasing my tale for weeks and it was THE RED wire clip that goes into the plastic plug just needed a little tweeking (the little prong pulled out so it locks in and then when I push the ignition in it has good contact and ever since no problems. thanks for your help don t get me wrong you are still the wiring GURU and amaze me when you say things like how the lights and certain things working will eliminate I.E . switch or when we got the tail lights working and it was in the steering column ! the average joe like myself or even some local electricians spend endless hours $$$ troubleshooting and believe me I take every piece of advice I can get and just start and keep going until we figure it out. This forums thing is new to me and I love it -kind of addictive especially when you drive a cool car like a vette. I have been on other forums like Can am quad and I wish there were more people like yourself and members on this site .
Great! Good to hear you tracked it down.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:38 PM
Kruegmeister
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts

See you have it solved, but I'm gonna leave this up here anyways as its good info in case someone was unaware.

You should be aware that the Electrical insulation on these old cars was less than ideal & heat causes metal to expand, so it could be a short inside what may look like a decent looking bundle of wires.

This is in regards to Wiring Harnesses like that in my 64. Mine shuts off on bumpy turns sometimes but starts back up before I even have to stop. My Front Harness looked bad having cracked wires (replaced) I am waiting on my Engine Harness to ship Currently.

From Lectric Limited Site:
Your Corvette wiring harness was made of copper with a plastic insulation. The plastic insulation was porous. Contaminants, like oxygen, moisture and airborne pollutants, eventually pass through the insulation to attack the wire; a condition called oxidation. There is no practical way to completely seal off the circulation of air and moisture between the individual wire strands. Once the wire strands become oxidized, the internal resistance of the wire increases substantially. This can cause electrical gremlins like shorts and malfunctioning gauges. If your wiring has progressed to the next stage of deterioration by becoming brittle and cracked, it is in immediate need of replacement. At this stage, a short circuit to ground is eminent. In a worst case scenario, it can cause a fire. Even if you are lucky enough to find an N.O.S. wiring harness, the wire strands will have deteriorated over time just by sitting on a shelf. For this reason, it would NOT be wise to purchase an N.O.S. wiring harness. The same corrosion factor happens to the wire's terminals over time. It's painstakingly manufactured from only the best modern wiring to original blueprint specifications in the USA. It features the correct type wire, wire color, wire gauge, wire striping, wire length, strip length, connectors, terminals and method of terminal application. The terminals are dip soldered, where applicable, to limit resistance voltage loss. All wiring harnesses are wrapped with the factory correct non-adhesive or cloth woven tapes, where applicable, to assure a 100% original appearance. Each harness is fully tested prior shipping to ensure proper functioning. They are the ONLY choice if you want true show quality, judging quality correct wiring for your Corvette.

Last edited by Kruegmeister; 08-02-2016 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Realized it was solved

Quick Reply: [C2] car stalls again after a 20 minute drive