C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Who's going to the Monterey Historics this year?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 01:43 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Y'all be carefull out there, ya hear!
The Soberanes Fire is right up against the Laurel Grade road right now (near The Quail), so it could get much worse, altho they are currently saying Monterey car week is still officially ON.
Thanks Garrett! Got an update yesterday afternoon that says everything is still a go.

Steve
Old 08-12-2016, 09:41 AM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by C2Racer
Thanks Garrett! Got an update yesterday afternoon that says everything is still a go.

Steve
I will be going. Go every year. Greatest car week in the US. Some thing for everyone one! Vintage races, car shows, auctions all week in a great location!
Fire has got to be very close. Laureles Grade that Garrett mentioned crosses over the mountain from Carmel Valley to route 68 right at the entrance to Laguna Seca.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:49 AM
C2Racer
Drifting

You guys are starting to freak me out with the fire thing.....stop it We leave 5:00am Sunday fire or no fire We're race car drivers

See ya at the races!

Steve
Old 08-12-2016, 10:11 AM
jerry gollnick
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 125 Posts

You guys are starting to freak me out with the fire thing.....stop it We leave 5:00am Sunday fire or no fire We're race car drivers

See ya at the races!

Steve
I agree we load up on Sunday and off heading west on Monday at 5:00Am.
Lets get this party started!
Old 08-12-2016, 10:13 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Best of luck Jerry and Steve. Have fun. Be safe
The following users liked this post:
C2Racer (08-12-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 10:13 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I'll be there on the 19th as a spectator in my '67 GTO if I can get the day off.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:23 AM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by watson
I live about 10 minutes from the track, so I will be there both weekends as a spectator. I hope you guys have a great event.

Doc
Doc your right there so can you give us a realistic update on the fire? Don't want to scare Steve further.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:41 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

We leave 5:00am Sunday fire or no fire We're race car drivers

See ya at the races!

Steve
Damn straight, there was a grass fire on the west hill at Sears Point some years ago. We were racing thru the smoke between turns 2 & 3A. The racing didn't stop.

Good luck, Steve
Old 08-12-2016, 02:20 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill32
Damn straight, there was a grass fire on the west hill at Sears Point some years ago. We were racing thru the smoke between turns 2 & 3A. The racing didn't stop.

Good luck, Steve
Thanks Bill! Yes, I have raced through grass fire smoke before in southwest Fort Worth at Cresson. Smelled really bad but didn't stop the racing. Fire trucks all around the track and really hot! Not perfect but doable. Hope it doesn't come to that at one of the most beautiful area in the country.

Steve
Old 08-12-2016, 03:20 PM
watson
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 175 Posts

The fire itself will not be an issue. It is moving away from the Monterey area toward the south east. The only impact on the track and other events might be some smoke smell and a lot of fire engines heading down the coast. It all depends on the wind and what they decide to burn out, but it looks good now. The Pebble Beach Tour folks are changing their route to avoid going south toward Big Sur. That is mostly to avoid getting in the way of the firefighters trying to get to Big Sur. Other than that, everything is planned to go as usual. I live about a mile into Carmel Valley and I did have a little smoke smell early this morning. During the day the winds tend to change and it clears out. Yesterday, it was really bad in Salinas because the wind just happened to blow that way. The forecast for next week is for high pressure area to move into this area and we should have clear skies. If anything changes, I will post it here.

Have a great event,

Doc

Last edited by watson; 08-12-2016 at 03:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by watson:
63Corvette (08-12-2016), C2Racer (08-12-2016)
Old 08-14-2016, 09:19 PM
watson
Burning Brakes

The first weekend of racing is done and the C2 guys put on a great show. The weather was perfect and the fire is out in this area. Hwy 1 is closed today for a controlled burn, but it should be open by Monday.

Doc
Old 08-24-2016, 10:31 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Well everyone, back from the weekend and had a good time despite not so good racing. The highlight was Peter Brock looking over my guys shoulders working on the car and I walk up and introduce myself and it's really him! OMG, he stays with us for quite a while and asks about the car, talks racing and signs my dash! Here is a pic.

I had handling and brake issues all weekend but did okay on Sunday as the 4th C2 and 21st overall double pumping the brake pedal pretty much all the way. Jerry had a great weekend finishing 5th! Thanks for the good conversation Jerry!

Then in the last race under double yellow I got rear ended and the new work just completed was the victim. Sort of fitting I guess.

Looks like the guy who hit me is going to step up and pay the bill so a really nice gesture for a bone head 20 mph accident. I watched the fuel gauge to make sure he didn't hit the fuel cell and went back to racing on the green. Our other Corvette blew its motor Sunday and the welded on front strap hook broke maybe 3 blocks from home and it landed against the back door of the trailer with minor body damage so it was time for us to quit this one.

Didn't see anyone from the forum other than Jerry so sorry if I missed you.

Steve

Last edited by C2Racer; 08-24-2016 at 10:36 PM.
RJ1 (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 08:23 AM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Well everyone, back from the weekend and had a good time despite not so good racing. The highlight was Peter Brock looking over my guys shoulders working on the car and I walk up and introduce myself and it's really him! OMG, he stays with us for quite a while and asks about the car, talks racing and signs my dash! Here is a pic.

I had handling and brake issues all weekend but did okay on Sunday as the 4th C2 and 21st overall double pumping the brake pedal pretty much all the way. Jerry had a great weekend finishing 5th! Thanks for the good conversation Jerry!

Then in the last race under double yellow I got rear ended and the new work just completed was the victim. Sort of fitting I guess.

Looks like the guy who hit me is going to step up and pay the bill so a really nice gesture for a bone head 20 mph accident. I watched the fuel gauge to make sure he didn't hit the fuel cell and went back to racing on the green. Our other Corvette blew its motor Sunday and the welded on front strap hook broke maybe 3 blocks from home and it landed against the back door of the trailer with minor body damage so it was time for us to quit this one.

Didn't see anyone from the forum other than Jerry so sorry if I missed you.

Steve
Steve I have a better picture of your two cars on the Monterey Corvettes thread. Took it Saturday before the damage!!! Peter Brock had a booth at the races showing a trailer he designed. Nice guy and talked with everyone.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:38 AM
watson
Burning Brakes

I was there on Saturday and I came by your pit. You were busy and I did not want to interrupt you so I just admired from a distance. Sorry to see the damage, the car looked great when I saw it. Thanks for putting on a great show.

Doc
C2Racer (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 02:10 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Hi Steve,
Glad you made it home OK, but sorry to hear about the damage to both cars! Good to hear that the other guy who hit you has offerred to pay
Garrett

Last edited by 63Corvette; 08-25-2016 at 02:11 PM.
C2Racer (08-25-2016)

Quick Reply: Who's going to the Monterey Historics this year?