C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] rear disc brake conversion for 64 roadster

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 08:45 PM
candipogo
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Default rear disc brake conversion for 64 roadster

looking for a disc brake set up that will fit the rear on my 64 roadster. I have off set trailing arms and a lot of other suspension mods. my wheels are 17'' American salt flats. I have a dual m/cyl with proportioning valve. I have wildwood dynalite disc brake conversion in the front. I am not doing any racing. I would just like to upgrade my rear brakes to discs. is there anything that will work using factory parts? I would like to keep an emergency brake. I just want something that will work and upgrade my drums. any help or vendors who can help would be appreciated. I don't need a show set up. please advise.
phil 901 550 1634 candipogo@bellsouth.net
Old 07-20-2016, 10:35 AM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I would suggest the factory disc brake setup with Wilwood aluminum calipers.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:21 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop Chevy
I would suggest the factory disc brake setup with Wilwood aluminum calipers.
The stock 65-82 rear discs work well, and should be a direct bolt on, with the offset arms.

The stock Delco cast iron calipers should be sufficient for most applications, or you can upgrade to the aluminum Wilwood versions of the stock D-8 calipers. I don't know that the Wilwood D-8's improve braking any, but they will remove some sprung weight (about 8 lbs per wheel), and they'll dissipate heat quicker too.

Drilled, slotted and drilled and slotted versions of the stock rotors are available. All will aid in brake cooling, and still work with the stock parking brake set up.

Wilwood's aluminum rear calipers work with stock diameter rotors, but are also available in kits that come with larger rotors, for use with 17" or larger diameter wheels. Wilwood offers a matching aluminum replacement front caliper too.

For the ultimate in "stock" braking, Wilwood has a 6 piston version of the D-8 front caliper, that can be used with stock rotors, or in a package with larger rotors, to use with 17" wheels.
The following users liked this post:
candipogo (07-21-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 08:04 PM
candipogo
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Default rear disc brake set up for 64

Originally Posted by gbvette62
The stock 65-82 rear discs work well, and should be a direct bolt on, with the offset arms.

The stock Delco cast iron calipers should be sufficient for most applications, or you can upgrade to the aluminum Wilwood versions of the stock D-8 calipers. I don't know that the Wilwood D-8's improve braking any, but they will remove some sprung weight (about 8 lbs per wheel), and they'll dissipate heat quicker too.

Drilled, slotted and drilled and slotted versions of the stock rotors are available. All will aid in brake cooling, and still work with the stock parking brake set up.

Wilwood's aluminum rear calipers work with stock diameter rotors, but are also available in kits that come with larger rotors, for use with 17" or larger diameter wheels. Wilwood offers a matching aluminum replacement front caliper too.

For the ultimate in "stock" braking, Wilwood has a 6 piston version of the D-8 front caliper, that can be used with stock rotors, or in a package with larger rotors, to use with 17" wheels.

I am new to the site. just got back into a vette last year.... the last one I owned was in 1975 and was new. now I am a robust(?) 69 years old and am working on my 64 restomod. I appreciate your info on the brake set up. I am also new to the site. can I contact you or vice versa to get the info on what parts I will need to do the conversion? I am sure there is more than calipers, rotors, lines, and nuts/bolts. I also am not sure about the parking brake set up if any. is it ok to get in touch with you? how do go about it?

if that's your c-1 on the avatar, I love it. it was my first choice. but, this car was so solid and had so many mods, I took the choice. but, I still want an updated c-1 that's the quality of my car.

please advise on how I can reach you or get the info to proceed. if I had 1600-1800$, I would call wildwood or ssbc and say do it.

I know of no one in the mid south that can help with even a simple conversion like this on a vette.
candipogo, phil leadford 901 550 1634
Old 07-21-2016, 10:13 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

The above info is partially correct.

The D8 series caliper is a direct replacement for the iron caliper for use on the stock one piece factory or other brand rotor. These calipers, including the D8-6 front will not work on other larger rotors regardless of wheel size. (in fairness the might if you fabricated brackets etc...)

The larger Wilwood FNSL6 and FNSL4 front and rear calipers are supplied in "kits" which then use 13 and 14" rotors with a 2pc design. They in turn are not applicable to the one piece factory style rotors used with the D8 parts.

There's no mixing and matching of the items.

All these items and kits come with instructions and most DIY folks can handle it with a minimal of brake experience. Seek help of course whenever not sure. The full line of D8 and larger kits for the C2 can be found HERE. *replacement stock size rotors available also upon inquiry.

Last edited by Todd TCE; 07-21-2016 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:50 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Chevrolet did a four-wheel disc brake conversion over 60 years ago that has "stood the test of time".

Get notified of new replies

To rear disc brake conversion for 64 roadster

Quick Reply: [C2] rear disc brake conversion for 64 roadster