C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Where is the ground strap supposed to be on a 64 A/C car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 02:33 PM
Bsinclair
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the ground strap supposed to be on a 64 A/C car?

I've had this car for years and the starter solenoid kind of clicks when it's cranking even with a new starter. Former owner had mounted a Ford style solenoid on the side of the original starter and I wonder if it is a ground problem? My blower motor isn't working lately but will go with a little nudge so I'm wondering if this is related to a ground problem.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:00 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

There is a ground wire for the heater motor that could be mistaken for the selonind ground. Your best bet is to buy the service manual or AIM or both and read the wire diagrams and figure out what you have and put it back to the way it should be. It prolly would be best just to buy all new harrness and start over.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:22 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I would not buy new harnesses...but then again...you did not post a photo ...so who knows...you may need to if it has been butchered up....but getting a wiring diagram and beginning to learn about electrical stuff would be worth your time...depending on your skill level.

I feel the blower motor connection is either loose or dirty...because a nudge gets it going..I doubt it is a ground somewhere else in the car.

DUB
Old 07-22-2016, 10:14 AM
Bsinclair
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DUB
I would not buy new harnesses...but then again...you did not post a photo ...so who knows...you may need to if it has been butchered up....but getting a wiring diagram and beginning to learn about electrical stuff would be worth your time...depending on your skill level.

I feel the blower motor connection is either loose or dirty...because a nudge gets it going..I doubt it is a ground somewhere else in the car.

DUB
Thanks for the replies guys. The car is really clean and fairly original so I wouldn't consider replacing the whole harness, I would probably create more problems, especially if the parts were as lame as some I have bought for other antique cars I own. BTW I was an ASE certified mechanic 30 years ago so I know enough to be dangerous but now I am old and lazy and trying to find the easiest way to do things!
Old 07-22-2016, 06:41 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bsinclair
BTW I was an ASE certified mechanic 30 years ago so I know enough to be dangerous but now I am old and lazy and trying to find the easiest way to do things!
That can be a bad combination...an ASE certified mechanic that is lazy...that can turn out to be quite interesting.

DUB
Old 07-23-2016, 10:31 AM
Bsinclair
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DUB
That can be a bad combination...an ASE certified mechanic that is lazy...that can turn out to be quite interesting.

DUB
Yea if I was smart I would get a lift and make life easier. Dang vette is so low it is hard to even work topside! Now I just need to find a place to put it!
Old 07-23-2016, 04:31 PM
histoy
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

There is a ground wire on our '64 AC car that is attached to the converter dust shield next to the starter.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:34 PM
Bsinclair
Intermediate

Where does the other end attach?
Old 07-24-2016, 03:09 PM
histoy
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't know. The ground wire comes out of the wiring harness about a foot up from the solenoid connections. I don't see it illustrated on the engine compartment wiring schematic in the FSM.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:12 PM
Bsinclair
Intermediate

Ok, thanks I am fixin to jack mine up and crawl under there, man I wish I had a lift!
Old 07-24-2016, 10:42 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 734 Likes on 454 Posts

Ok, thanks I am fixin to jack mine up and crawl under there, man I wish I had a lift!
Brad
The attached PDF is specific to my '65. The photos should give you some idea of where to look for the connections. The '64 is pretty much identical to to the '65. I have included some wiring diagram segments as well. Some things, like the placement of the capacitor, are not "correct".

There is a ring terminal in the starter area of the harness that connects under a starter mount bolt. Mine is grounded to the block. In the blower area there is also a ring terminal (black wire) that attaches under one of the screws holding the AC relay. The ground also traces back to the spade lug on the wiper motor.

You'll probably need to drop the passenger side splash shields to make it easier to get access to the starter etc.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Dave Z
Attached Images
Old 07-25-2016, 05:20 PM
Bsinclair
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DZVette
Brad
The attached PDF is specific to my '65. The photos should give you some idea of where to look for the connections. The '64 is pretty much identical to to the '65. I have included some wiring diagram segments as well. Some things, like the placement of the capacitor, are not "correct".

There is a ring terminal in the starter area of the harness that connects under a starter mount bolt. Mine is grounded to the block. In the blower area there is also a ring terminal (black wire) that attaches under one of the screws holding the AC relay. The ground also traces back to the spade lug on the wiper motor.

You'll probably need to drop the passenger side splash shields to make it easier to get access to the starter etc.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Dave Z

Thanks Dave the pics helped. Mine is identical. I also have a ground on the starter bolt. I am surprised at what a small gauge it is though. I took off the splash shields to get to the blower from below, going to put 12v straight to it and rule that out. Same for the ground.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:20 PM
Bsinclair
Intermediate

I also found two ground straps on the exhaust system clamps that go right to the frame. One was loose and almost ready to fall off, hoped that was the problem but it wasn't.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:52 PM
DUB
Race Director

I am a loss on what you are trying to repair???

I know you mentioned the blower motor issue....and know the ground is at the starter...but what else are you wanting to fix?

That 'clicking' in the solenoid when you are cranking it. You being an ASE mechanic...that should easily be in your wheel house of knowledge....which is why I am at a loss.

I read what you wrote and I have to make sure what I read is CORRECT. You wrote:
the starter solenoid kind of clicks when it's cranking even with a new starter. Which by what you wrote...is 'saying' that the starter is actually spinning but you hear a 'clicking sound'. Is that correct????

DUB
Old 07-27-2016, 08:58 AM
Bsinclair
Intermediate

Sorry for the confusion. The car starts fine it's just that the starter clicks while cranking. Blower motor is the problem I'm trying to repair. Just trying to rule out a ground problem before removing the motor.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:41 PM
DUB
Race Director

Blower motor is the problem I'm trying to repair. Just trying to rule out a ground problem before removing the motor.
If it is taking a little nudge...as you put it...I would be looking at the power wire going to it ....and the relay that is supplying the power.

I have run into so many A/C cars that the connector a the relay has melted due to the amount of current going through it when it is on high speed...and with the relay connections NOT being weather protected...the dust and dirt get in them and causes for more resistance....thus the terminals get hot and melt and can distort and further lose grip and so on and on and on.

Hope you find it...because it would really suck if you put a new one in and have the same problem.

DUB
Old 07-27-2016, 05:47 PM
Bsinclair
Intermediate

That was my thought too but I just now hooked battery current directly to it and grounded the other side, no joy. Looks like she's coming out!

Get notified of new replies

To Where is the ground strap supposed to be on a 64 A/C car?

Quick Reply: Where is the ground strap supposed to be on a 64 A/C car?