C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Fuse blowing in link inserted in ammeter wire

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 10:54 AM
ryan22
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Fuse blowing in link inserted in ammeter wire

Trying to make our C1 a little safer. I put a fuse holder with a 30amp spade type fuse into the ammeter wire at the solenoid. First time I attempted to start the car the fuse blew. Car has its original generator, doesn't have ignition shielding.

Please give me some direction. Where should I look to find out whats wrong here ?...or do I just plug in a 40a fuse ?

Looked at all the wiring under the dash and don't see any that is cut, frayed, pinched, etc.

Thanks-
Ryan22
Old 07-22-2016, 11:10 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

I am pretty sure you need a slow blow fuse for this situation (or maybe a time delayed fuse).

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of electricity that I will chime in.

The fast blow fuses (typical in auto applications) blow when a short surge occurs. That is not what you want if you are trying to protect yoor electrical system.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:52 AM
HilltopClassicCars
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan22
Trying to make our C1 a little safer. I put a fuse holder with a 30amp spade type fuse into the ammeter wire at the solenoid. First time I attempted to start the car the fuse blew. Car has its original generator, doesn't have ignition shielding.

Please give me some direction. Where should I look to find out whats wrong here ?...or do I just plug in a 40a fuse ?

Looked at all the wiring under the dash and don't see any that is cut, frayed, pinched, etc.

Thanks-
Ryan22

Rather than a fuse, I use an auto resetting circuit breaker which works like a slow blow fuse but after a period of time resets itself and tries passing power again. They are less than five dollars at most auto parts stores and protect the circuit like a fuse but you don't have to worry about being left on the side of the road due to not carrying enough replacement fuses with you.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:11 AM
ryan22
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I swapped out the plug in fuse for a fusible link.
Turned the key and all is well.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuse blowing in link inserted in ammeter wire

Quick Reply: [C1] Fuse blowing in link inserted in ammeter wire