C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Need advise on coilover suspension forC2

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 03:27 PM
c5thriler
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Need advise on coilover suspension forC2

I have a 66 Vette Restomod. It has a complete Vette Brakes suspension with Bilstein gas shocks front and rear poly springs and poly bushings thruout. The car rides like a Conestoga wagon in the front and jumps in the air when I hit even the slightest bump or drive on concrete roads.

The rear rides perfect and is stiff w/o being harsh. It's like 2 different cars. If I go with a coilover "front only" suspension will my ride improve?
Old 07-22-2016, 03:35 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by c5thriler
I have a 66 Vette Restomod. It has a complete Vette Brakes suspension with Bilstein gas shocks front and rear poly springs and poly bushings thruout. The car rides like a Conestoga wagon in the front and jumps in the air when I hit even the slightest bump or drive on concrete roads.

The rear rides perfect and is stiff w/o being harsh. It's like 2 different cars. If I go with a coilover "front only" suspension will my ride improve?
Shocks control the spring, and springs control the car!

Its sad that Vette Brakes can't sell you a set of shocks that can properly control your springs. Unless you got them from different vendors who don't valve for Vette Brake springs! The bilsteins unless Vette Brakes personel have lost all talent, should be able to take a high end shock like a Bilstein and suggest or refer you to rebuilding those with settings that marry to their spring.

Naturally any coilover configuration is going to hopefully be better married or compatible (spring and shock). A coilover is designed to integrate the two units into one working unit. Therefore better and truer aligned, faster reacting, plus if the shock eyes have higher quality sphericals, then they rotate freely as your suspension arms are traveling while tracking the road.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 07-22-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:37 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by c5thriler

I recently rebuilt my front suspension to get rid of all of the poly bushings - they were shot (I'll never use poly again). After lots of research I settled on Global West components . . . they even make lower control arms for coilover applications. And their del-a-lum bushings are awesome! Good luck.

http://www.globalwest.net/corvette-c...80-81-82-.html

Tom
Old 07-22-2016, 06:33 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

If you putt around, and aren't into serious handling, then the poly pleases a lot of people, but I literally throw that stuff out when I see it!

I also was probably one the first or earliest Corvette guy customers to try Doug N's stuff, way back when he formed Global West! One of my cars being from that area and a former Cavalier Corvette Club racer!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 07-22-2016 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:01 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 612 Likes on 367 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

VBP has several different suspension packages. Which one do you have? Which springs and which shocks. How much tire pressure are you running?

Tom

Last edited by Sky65; 07-22-2016 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:10 PM
Faslane
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the Viking coilovers on 2 of my cars, they are adjustable, you can dial in the ride you want. I bought the kit with the rear shocks, drove to good guys and rode like a Cadillac
a few turns of the **** and I was on the autocross track. I dont know how they done it but you can feel the difference in every turn. They came with a chart for what ride you are looking for, I thought it would get me close, but it is spot on to my junk. One of the best decision I have made, and also you can adjust your ride height.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:44 PM
c5thriler
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Coilover suspension for a C2

Originally Posted by Sky65
VBP has several different suspension packages. Which one do you have? Which springs and which shocks. How much tire pressure are you running?

Tom
I have a hybrid of the "Street Slalom" system with a dual mount poly front spring (p/n 72129) (not sure if that is a 330lb or a 360lb spring. (Maybe what I need is to try a 300 lb poly front spring?? I replaced the Bilstein front shocks with a softer ride Bilstein p/n AK1051 which is actually a Camero shock recommended by VB which gave me a little improvement but not much.

I have BFG Radial T/A's and run them at 26-27 lbs of air.

When I drive on a smooth concrete road at 70 the front end bobs up and down slightly just like a fishing bobber as the front end responds to the slightest irregularity in the road. It just beats me up,but the rear of the car is fine.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:20 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 612 Likes on 367 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

The dual mount front spring is spring rate adjustable. The two blocks that attach to the spring have four holes each to mount the block the lower control arms. Which holes are the bolts in. Since the ride is too hard, make sure the bolts are in the holes closest to the center of the car on each side. That will be the softest setting.

Tom

Get notified of new replies

To Need advise on coilover suspension forC2

Quick Reply: [C2] Need advise on coilover suspension forC2