C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] What's it worth? 1965 Coupe, unoriginal and rotting frame, pics inside!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 11:45 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,263 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Your analysis was a surprise to this owner. That surprises me. They thought this was a big bucks mid year?
I only wish I could find buyers as green as this with some of the stuff I sell.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:08 AM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

Its the Midyear thing, A guy wanted one since he was 12, now has some cash in his pocket. Looks at the car and says I can do it. Takes it apart and sits in his garage till 2030 and becomes a barn find.

Its crazy what people pay for on ebay or getting their FIRST Corvette.

I bet it sells cheap and the Vin and title end up somewhere else and the extra parts are in Carlisle.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:50 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Timing is about perfect! Load it up on a trailer and carry it to Carlisle. I agree it will likely bring in the mid to high 20's. Someone will want it to resto-mod or already knows of a frame waiting to be swapped in. I would just point out the frame issue and tell them no test drives around the Fairgrounds for that reason.

I would make sure there was no more air than absolutely necessary in the air shocks to clear the rear fended!

I've also seen a partial birdcage with VIN & trim tag with a few body parts bring in the teens at Carlisle. The only real unknown at this point is the extent of the birdcage rust.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 07-25-2016, 04:54 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
Timing is about perfect! Load it up on a trailer and carry it to Carlisle. I agree it will likely bring in the mid to high 20's. Someone will want it to resto-mod or already knows of a frame waiting to be swapped in. I would just point out the frame issue and tell them no test drives around the Fairgrounds for that reason.

I would make sure there was no more air than absolutely necessary in the air shocks to clear the rear fended!

I've also seen a partial birdcage with VIN & trim tag with a few body parts bring in the teens at Carlisle. The only real unknown at this point is the extent of the birdcage rust.

Good luck... GUSTO
Best idea yet. And I'd make sure I didn't come home with it even if I got less money than I might have wanted. That car is going to haunt some poor owner and drain their wallet for years
Old 07-25-2016, 10:46 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by n8dogg
I feel awful for a customer of mine. They brought me their 1965 Corvette coupe with the intent of selling it. I checked her over and advised them not to drive the car as the frame has rotted through at the left side dog leg and I'd hate to see them get into an accident. They had no idea that the frame was that bad and believed their car to be worth much greater than it is due to an appraisal that was done within the a few years. I'd like to advise them in the right direction. That direction is to sell the car as it is. My estimated worth, as it is, is $15k to $20k.

Car info:

1965 Coupe, repainted black, interior was redone black. Originally it was Maroon with a White and Black interior. Original engine is gone. Was likely a 327/300. 4 speed, power windows, am/fm, no other options that I can see at this time.

Fenders were flared out. Paint is rough, she's a 30 footer. Front bumpers removed, wheels replaced with American Racing. Sidepipes are likely aftermarket (didn't look real close at them). Spare is missing.

Frame is rotted through at left dog leg where it meets the rail. Rot holes at front cross member. Left side rail is very rusty at end cap. Windshield and dash frame are very rusty as well.

This car needs a body off restoration. Would be a great candidate for a resto-mod.

Please comment with your thoughts and opinion on its value! On to the pictures:

I had much worse rot when I got screwed on my 1967 GTO convertible. Bad eBay deal. Long story short, I found a replacement frame after 5 years. 1967 GTO boxed frame is a one year frame. On a C2 there are many stock frames available or Schwartz performance frames, Art Morrison, etc. On a car like that, if they want a quick sale, have them call Peter Kumar at Gullwing Motorcars in Astoria Queens. 718 545 0500. He buys and sells almost every C1 C2 and early c3 Vettes in basket case to mint cars. Low ***** but you never know. Check his site. It's an out.
Good luck
Jax
Old 07-26-2016, 02:29 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,021 Likes on 681 Posts

The frame is only half the problem. This needs a new bird cage also!
Old 07-27-2016, 08:54 AM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

You could spend $75-100K restoring a $50k car by the time the smoke clears. Sell it as is and let the market determine the price, advertise it and see what happens. I buy $20K basket cases but i would not even make an offer on a car in that condition.
Mark
Old 07-27-2016, 09:17 AM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I've always wanted a black '65 coupe that I could build the way I wanted it, but if the bird cage is gone, it would make me pause.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:26 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

someone should try suing that appraiser...on the other hand whose fault is it for not having the car inspected?
Old 07-27-2016, 11:36 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Boy thats too bad it wasnt looked over properly, so hard to tell anymore now that these cars are so old.
I wouldnt pay one nickel for it, too far gone
Some of you guys really think its worth over 20k?
Parts car at best, gotta look past the shiny paint and see the headache its going to be. Opinions will vary
Old 07-27-2016, 12:25 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

This is a great example why I tell people to stay away from most appraisers. Most of these guys will either type in any ridiculous number you want to make your insurer happy, or they haven't a clue what to look at on a Corvette.

And yes, another good example that there's still people out there buying these cars with no knowledge and no assistance. I've had several occasions of people coming to me for evaluations and the cars are often worth far, far less than they have decided, and don't react well when told otherwise.

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 07-27-2016 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:49 PM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

IMO, This is a shame. No one with two eyes could have gone to the extent of painting and replacing the interior without knowing there was such a degree of corrosion. Unfortunately, there are people who scam. Sometime the only resolve is to suck up the loss and move forward. Maybe there is enough in parts to recoupe some of the money spent.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:27 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by pop23235
The frame is only half the problem. This needs a new bird cage also!
Am I missing something? Where are the photos or description of the birdcage? I agree that the frame is bad and likely that the birdcage has issues but have not seen any evidence that the birdcage needs to be replaced.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:51 AM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by redvetracr
someone should try suing that appraiser...on the other hand whose fault is it for not having the car inspected?

One reason I quit doing this. I used to go inspect and give a detailed report on Corvettes for buyers, but I realized that I wasn't insured enough if someone bought a $200,000 car on my say so and then lost their shirt over something I missed.

You'd have to be blind to miss this.

If the appraiser was hired by them, there is no way that kickup could have happened between the appraiser and now. That kind of rust took decades to make that damage.

The birdcage under the dash could be missed from someone not being able to take the glove box out or get far enough under the dash, but that is what small digital cameras are for. And that didn't happen in a year or two, either. That is very old and has been there a very long time.

Hosing the car down would have revealed that. The floor would have flooded in no time.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:12 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing

One reason I quit doing this. I used to go inspect and give a detailed report on Corvettes for buyers, but I realized that I wasn't insured enough if someone bought a $200,000 car on my say so and then lost their shirt over something I missed.
Some do not realize the liability they incur when doing certain functions in a professional capacity.

I know a notary public that had to spend thousands of her own money to defend herself in a frivolous law suit. All to earn a paltry few dollars every time she used her seal. She no longer does it.

I've inspected a few cars for folks and, in each case, it turned out well - for the cars that were purchased, and, the cars that were passed up.

I don't establish provenance (I'm far from qualified) but can look at general condition, large areas of originality, and, mechanical/electrical integrity and condition (corrosion) of metal components. I don't charge (I might get a free lunch and gas money) and don't make any claims about being a professional.

However, I would have caught the damage above even if my glasses were fogged up, my flashlight battery died and I was getting a lap dance at the same time...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-28-2016 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:29 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
And yes, another good example that there's still people out there buying these cars with no knowledge and no assistance. I've had several occasions of people coming to me for evaluations and the cars are often worth far, far less than they have decided, and don't react well when told otherwise.
Boy you aren't kidding...

I was recently approached by an midyear owner's mechanic who was trying to convince his rich, but not too car savvy boss that he bought a turd. This convertible had horrible body work, a one-piece poorly installed replacement front clip and rust in several spots in the frame and was smoking when started up.

What was the boss's reaction when he got the bad news ? To send the mechanic out to buy some reproduction knock off wheels for the car because he likes the look
Old 07-28-2016, 08:36 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

That car need this chassis that's for sale in the parts forum. 7800$ and that car and you may be able to make something of it. Birdcage would be pricey though.....

Get notified of new replies

To What's it worth? 1965 Coupe, unoriginal and rotting frame, pics inside!

Old 07-28-2016, 08:56 AM
Ohiomark
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Or buy a car like this
http://www.mershons.com/vehicle-deta...8cf55f8f31490/

And be money ahead by a long shot and get to enjoy the car from the start. This car barely is a parts car. I don't see to many valuable parts beside the vin and trim tag and the complete dash. Everything else is trashed that you COULD never get 15k out of to part it out. If your looking to start a lawn ortment collection then this would look good for that
I've been watching that car at Mershon's for months and they haven't lowered the price since initially advertising it. I don't know why it hasn't been purchased by someone, but I don't have a wife who would currently accept it in my garage, so it's a pass for me!
Old 07-28-2016, 09:35 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Ohiomark
I've been watching that car at Mershon's for months and they haven't lowered the price since initially advertising it. I don't know why it hasn't been purchased by someone, but I don't have a wife who would currently accept it in my garage, so it's a pass for me!
Ha!

So you think she MIGHT accept it in the future ? How would that happen ? Diamonds ? European vacation ? New BMW ?

If you figure it out please tell the rest of us
Old 07-28-2016, 10:50 AM
Ohiomark
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Ha!

So you think she MIGHT accept it in the future ? How would that happen ? Diamonds ? European vacation ? New BMW ?

If you figure it out please tell the rest of us
Frankie,

I'd have to pay off some bills, get my income up a little as I've been in "commission only" sales for the past 20 years, and then it would go from a NOT to a most likely as she knows my love of Corvettes!

P.S.: She's into Diamonds, has a Caddy so the bimmer would be out, and has no Current desire to go to Europe with all of the unrest going on over there! Maybe the Caymans or Virgin Isle but who knows???

Last edited by Ohiomark; 07-28-2016 at 10:52 AM.

Quick Reply: [C2] What's it worth? 1965 Coupe, unoriginal and rotting frame, pics inside!