C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

keep it red or go back to white

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 02:39 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

You can consider yourself to be a lucky cat. You now have the perfect opportunity to go back to the original color White, which doesn't only look better than the most boring color you have on there now, but it also will increase the value of your automobile and you will stand out from the sea of red vettes too my 65 is getting a respray next winter too and I can assure you that it won't be red any more...

Last edited by groovyjay; 07-24-2016 at 02:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
number3 (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 06:09 AM
K5kaos
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm probably biased, but I'd go WHITE!

(see Avatar )
number3 (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 07:33 AM
Todd H.
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared))
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

Easy one.

Since you're concerned about your car's value, white. Ermine white. It'll look great, and as you can see, some buyers (like K5kaos) prefer white cars.
number3 (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 12:05 PM
karkrafter
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 152 Posts

When I was looking for a car last year...my perferences were, in order
Black
White
Maroon
Blue..

So beauty is certainly different to different people...but I LOVE white, waaaaaaaaaay more than red.
number3 (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 12:06 PM
Aflyer
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Number3,
I think if you are going to the expense of a new paint job you should go with white because:
It's the original color
There are lots of red, not so many white C2's
It will be cooler to drive in the summer

But you need to do it the color you like and want to have.

Aflyer
number3 (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 12:09 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by number3
sorry to infuriate you kc , but im just throwing it out there and as i said before im not looking to make money on the car or even sell it at this point . Im just looking for opinions from the people that know . your opinion (minus the scolding) is important to me as well , because like you i feel the same way everytime i look at, get into , and drive my car. I love it ! I didnt buy it as an investment , but i dont want to weaken the future value of it either wether i sell it or my estate sells it when im gone . Plain and simple just looking for opinions thanks .
I'm sorry if it sounded like a scolding, that's not how it was intended. What I was trying to get across is that unless you have a rare car there is no sense in getting all crazy about keeping it original. We are only here for a short time and I intend to enjoy what time I have left. Do what makes you happy and don't get caught up in the thoughts that you might ruin the car for the next guy.
number3 (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 01:11 PM
number3
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by KC John
I'm sorry if it sounded like a scolding, that's not how it was intended. What I was trying to get across is that unless you have a rare car there is no sense in getting all crazy about keeping it original. We are only here for a short time and I intend to enjoy what time I have left. Do what makes you happy and don't get caught up in the thoughts that you might ruin the car for the next guy.
It takes a little more than that to hurt my feelings , i was just tryin to put a little humor in there no offense intended or taken
Old 07-24-2016, 01:23 PM
number3
Pro

Well , it seems like more are going for white rather than red, i dont dislike white or most any other color, so it looks like i'll go back to white depending on the cost difference of keeping it red . I havent gotten a quote back yet from the paint shop so ill have to wait for the good/ bad news . Until then thanks for all the advice guys , i appreciate it ! and ill keep ya updated .
Old 07-24-2016, 01:28 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

The second sentence in your first post has an error. You said it's an all numbers matching car. All numbers can't match until the car is white. So do you want an all matching numbers car, or would you prefer some other color more than white. Either way you go you can't lose. There will always be buyers who want the numbers, and those who want a color they are looking for. Someone looking for a red car would usually not buy white just because the plate code matches. I think if I were intent on painting the car, my first decision would have to be what is my plan for the car. If I'm going to keep it, I'd paint it the color I liked.
number3 (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 01:52 PM
number3
Pro

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
The second sentence in your first post has an error. You said it's an all numbers matching car. All numbers can't match until the car is white. So do you want an all matching numbers car, or would you prefer some other color more than white. Either way you go you can't lose. There will always be buyers who want the numbers, and those who want a color they are looking for. Someone looking for a red car would usually not buy white just because the plate code matches. I think if I were intent on painting the car, my first decision would have to be what is my plan for the car. If I'm going to keep it, I'd paint it the color I liked.
mistake corrected thanks !
Old 07-24-2016, 02:49 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

if i go to a better quality white that really pops but isn't the original ermine will it still be considered matching ? TIA
White is a relatively rare color, I doubt that most judges carry the exact shade in their memory banks! Unless they carry actual sprayed paint cards, you're probably safe if the white you like is a bit brighter. If you're not that attached to red, strip the red everywhere (under carpet, etc. if necessary) and enjoy your cool, easy-maintenance Sting Ray.

Most interior components (carpets, seats, door panels), are easy to swap or dye. I'd leave the dash area black, it harmonizes with any other color and simplifies a resale change-back.

Last edited by sub006; 07-24-2016 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:46 PM
Kruegmeister
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Lotsacubes
My '66 is solely for my pleasure and at my age something to arouse me and those who see it. Especially my wife. You didn't say what color you like ignoring value. I bet if you own one of these, $5-10k is in the noise of your portfolio. Walking down a row of vettes, I rarely stop at the white ones unless it has a cool engine. If I had to quickly unload my car to raise cash, I'd bet I could sell non-matching red faster than matching white. I'd bet that in the overall market for these cars, there are a greater number of buyers seeking passion than those seeking numbers. I'm a new guy here and I happen to own a real red/black car, but I'd never buy your car white. No passion for me, I'd go for the most fun. That's why I'm here.
I agree. I bought my 64 knowing the paint was non-original and not the correct White Ermine. Matching Numbers was my focus. Paint can be changed, but when it comes repaint time I doubt ill white it out.

Last edited by Kruegmeister; 07-30-2016 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:53 AM
zpletcher
Racer

Well , it seems like more are going for white rather than red, i dont dislike white or most any other color, so it looks like i'll go back to white depending on the cost difference of keeping it red . I havent gotten a quote back yet from the paint shop so ill have to wait for the good/ bad news . Until then thanks for all the advice guys , i appreciate it ! and ill keep ya updated .
I think you should leave it red.

In these C 2's, White washes out the lines.

I guess I got lucky. my trim tag says Rally Red.

JMHO

Cheerio, Zale
Old 07-26-2016, 01:04 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

If you plan to keep it and drove it, chances are you will be money ahead carefully removing trim and Painting the exterior red again versus a costly and time consuming swap back to white - all over including the jambs, doing weatherstripping etc.

If you want to keep driving the car, as others have said, paint will immediately begin to wear in some fashion. Whatever you think it will be worth painted white at a greater cost must be offset by painting it red again. (I'm assuming you don't have lacquer on it now and can do a respray without a strip)
Old 07-26-2016, 05:42 AM
number3
Pro

Well guys , I heard back from the body shop , If i change to white its gonna cost me almost double what i would pay if i keep it red . So as much as i would like to go white so all the numbers match , i have to match the numbers in my wallet , meaning shes gonna stay red , thanks for all the replies and advice
Old 07-26-2016, 07:30 AM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Well guys , I heard back from the body shop , If i change to white its gonna cost me almost double what i would pay if i keep it red . So as much as i would like to go white so all the numbers match , i have to match the numbers in my wallet , meaning shes gonna stay red , thanks for all the replies and advice
Red Vettes are really the most popular color anyway, with the "general public", so when its time to sell later on, you'll be better positioned to make the sale.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:15 PM
zpletcher
Racer

Default Red color

Now you don't have to get a "Fleet Color White"
😀😀

"All Corvettes are Red".

"Other colors were just a Mistake."

(From the Book)

Everyone will love your Red Corvette!!!

Don't look back!! 😀😀

Cheerio, Zale

Get notified of new replies

To keep it red or go back to white

Old 07-26-2016, 05:37 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Have you considered another body shop? There's no reason a car should cost double with a color change, unless the red paint is going to be a poor prep job. The car should be stripped and disassembled regardless of what color it's being done. That estimate would scare me to death.

Regarding color, I find color to be the absolute most important thing to me, even more than engine numbers. I can't stand to own a color I don't love.

However, I would not spend the $10kish it would cost to properly paint a C2 and not paint it the correct trim tag color, especially if the engine numbers match.

So for me, if I were in your shoes and really liked red better I'd sell the car and buy a real red one without putting another dime into painting a numbers car the wrong color.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:13 AM
Todd H.
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared))
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
Have you considered another body shop? There's no reason a car should cost double with a color change, unless the red paint is going to be a poor prep job. The car should be stripped and disassembled regardless of what color it's being done. That estimate would scare me to death.

Regarding color, I find color to be the absolute most important thing to me, even more than engine numbers. I can't stand to own a color I don't love.

However, I would not spend the $10kish it would cost to properly paint a C2 and not paint it the correct trim tag color, especially if the engine numbers match.

So for me, if I were in your shoes and really liked red better I'd sell the car and buy a real red one without putting another dime into painting a numbers car the wrong color.
Absolutely. Double?

Are they not going to paint the jambs? Mask the headlight buckets? Not do the underside of the deck lid? So I suppose they said that way you wouldn't need new weatherstripping, and you save there, too.

Cheap paint is a waste of money. As Steve said, leave it. Sell it. Buy a red one.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:36 AM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

black interior
White paint over black interior isn't something I've seen in person, but imagine it to be interesting.

No question since you queried about resale that you have to paint it to the TRIM plate original color white. I actually like white. I've seen white/red, white/blue-white. I think yours will look nice white/black.

Quick Reply: keep it red or go back to white