C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Lack of C1 C2 Restomods at Auctions

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 10:30 PM
Brucebodyman
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by dcaggiani
Proud owner of the same 64 (Coletta built) Restomod since 2012 folks !!!

Given the affordability, reliability, horsepower, and the vast aftermarket support available for the LS engine platform, it will have a long shelf life.
Just look at how long of a run the original small block had. I predict a similar run for the LS
Old 07-27-2016, 06:08 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
Those who lack talent and initiative will always live in the bubble of sanctity in the purist world. That doesn't make them bad people.

Restomod Corvettes are not going away. Restored "original" Corvettes are not going away.

Can't we all just get along?
Yes. I drive my original '61 and '63 to Old Town several Saturdays a month. I graciously let those restomod guys park nearby....mostly because one of 'em gives me a free beer

What's funny is the spectators; some go straight to the LS-powered car and ogle them; ignoring mine. Other folks are exactly the opposite and after looking at my original cars; they sidle up to me and say under their breath, "...those other guys have ruined those cars!" And the beat goes on...
Old 07-27-2016, 08:03 AM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 234 Posts

Isn't this just a case of supply and demand? When I go looking at vette's on the net all I see now are dealers where even 3 years ago private seller's out numbered dealers. And what do dealers want, the highest priced cars with the largest profit margin they can find. Maybe they have filled the demand for the moment? Will the restomod market get going again, if you can predict that you should do more predicting and be a rich man!

Steve
Old 07-27-2016, 08:08 AM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Yes. I drive my original '61 and '63 to Old Town several Saturdays a month. I graciously let those restomod guys park nearby....mostly because one of 'em gives me a free beer

What's funny is the spectators; some go straight to the LS-powered car and ogle them; ignoring mine. Other folks are exactly the opposite and after looking at my original cars; they sidle up to me and say under their breath, "...those other guys have ruined those cars!" And the beat goes on...
Frankie is right there are two groups that look at those 4 cars when they are lined up, But most times there will be 3 times as many people looking at that Patriot Red 62 than the other three combined and that car was built 15 years ago and is one of the most reliable cars I know. Over the years there have been some crazy offers made on all 4 of those cars, none are for sale.
Mark
Old 07-27-2016, 09:04 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Resto-Mods are here and they will always be here. The serious question though is the marketability and value of a Resto Mod in the next decade. I know most of the Resto Mod people have no interest in the value of the car they just built. That's fine. Enjoy it. Let your kids sell it. I have no problem with that.

The thing that drives value in the collector car market it provenance. Certain cars have it. Most don't. Will a Resto Mod ever be considered valuable because of who built it? Maybe? We just don't know. We do know that a George Barris Corvette has a special place in history. Perhaps the same thing will happen with a Chip Foose Corvette.

Keep in mind that the value question is totally separate from whether or not I like the car. It's impossible to accurately predict future values for most cars. I know a Grand Sport will always be worth millions. That's a definite. The worn out '62 base engine Corvette? Who knows? A '62 Corvette with an LS motor? That's a really hard call.

Richard Newton
Is Your Car Really Original?
Old 07-27-2016, 09:21 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by rfn026
Is Your Car Really Original?
[/URL]
mine never has been since I've owned it, and will never be ; but it is a heck of a lot more comfortable, reliable and easier to drive than an original.

and it's not a restomod.

Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 07-27-2016 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:42 AM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
mine never has been since I've owned it, and will never be ; but it is a heck of a lot more comfortable, reliable and easier to drive than an original.

and it's not a restomod.

Bill
Mine too.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:34 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by C-1 Generation 2
Mine too.

Bill
Old 07-28-2016, 07:12 AM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

Just looking at auction data for upcoming Mecum events shows that there are only 23 Corvettes currently assigned to auction this summer. Of the 23, there is one true RestoMod and 2 to 3 modified with the rest being original.

As someone previously stated, let's see what happens next year at Scottsdale (BJ) and Mecum Orlando where the RestoMods typically congregate for auction.

Here is the link for the 1962 Restomod coming for for auction soon:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/LS0916-25...tte-resto-mod/
Old 07-28-2016, 07:39 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Just looking at auction data for upcoming Mecum events shows that there are only 23 Corvettes currently assigned to auction this summer. Of the 23, there is one true RestoMod and 2 to 3 modified with the rest being original.

As someone previously stated, let's see what happens next year at Scottsdale (BJ) and Mecum Orlando where the RestoMods typically congregate for auction.

I think the stance is over-exaggerated but whew - that is a FINE looking car!
Old 07-28-2016, 07:58 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

I think the stance is over-exaggerated but whew - that is a FINE looking car!

Bill
Old 07-28-2016, 08:18 AM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

In April a local build 62 restromod with a LSA engine that was over the top showed up at a nearby cruise.
Not sure how to load picture directly from Flickr but the link will get your there.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daddy_...etaken-public/
Old 07-28-2016, 01:07 PM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

One fine looking car but I just don't like the look of 20" wheels on those cars. JMO
Mark
Old 07-28-2016, 01:23 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Does anyone know who built the silver Mecum auction car, the same photo backdrop was used two tears ago with a white and silver restomod.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:47 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

I bet a restomod built today will still have significant value in 10-15 years, needing only an engine swap to update it. I say this because I can't foresee significant chassis improvements in the next few years. Most of these restomods have C4 rear suspensions because C5 and later rears require significant body mods. So I think our technology is tapped out as to how much we can improve these 50 - 60 year old rides, at least from a chassis standpoint. Especially if the C8 turns out to be the long awaited mid-engine supercar.

I suppose someone will build a self-driving automated restomod for a future SEMA show, but what fun would that be?
Old 07-28-2016, 03:34 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Received 952 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Loren Smith
I bet a restomod built today will still have significant value in 10-15 years, needing only an engine swap to update it. I say this because I can't foresee significant chassis improvements in the next few years. Most of these restomods have C4 rear suspensions because C5 and later rears require significant body mods. So I think our technology is tapped out as to how much we can improve these 50 - 60 year old rides, at least from a chassis standpoint. Especially if the C8 turns out to be the long awaited mid-engine supercar.

I suppose someone will build a self-driving automated restomod for a future SEMA show, but what fun would that be?
Putting this frame in mine.....supposed to be here this week...not sure what it will be worth, but it will be fun...
Attached Images     
Old 07-28-2016, 06:29 PM
Brucebodyman
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Marzahl
Does anyone know who built the silver Mecum auction car, the same photo backdrop was used two tears ago with a white and silver restomod.
It's the latest build from Jeff Hayes from Indiana. A 63 Split window that was a no sale at Mecum earlier this year is going to be at Auburn IN auction this Labor Day.

Get notified of new replies

To Lack of C1 C2 Restomods at Auctions

Old 07-29-2016, 09:50 AM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

This always comes up and I always use the example of the '62 Mike Coletta built for a mutual friend. The car is 'long in the tooth' by restomod standards, done about 10 years ago I think, and has one engine upgrade to an LS-3. It is a show stopping stunner. The burgundy looking car (actually Patriot Red) second from the right.

People lean on my original '61 and original '63 split window to take pictures of it after all these years.

Am I happy about it when that happens? Hell no, its just the way it is. The owner gets offers to buy it regularly.

So much for restomod 'staying power'...

As a comparison, my stock '61 which I just sold took over 6 months to get anywhere close to the price it would have brought 3 years ago and it took an overseas buyer to get that number. That market has softened big time...

I agree with the assessment that less cars are being built on spec and more for specific customers and they're keeping them; as in the case of this '62; it ain't going anywhere....
62 looks awesome. Any more pics?
Old 07-29-2016, 10:42 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by kenmo
62 looks awesome. Any more pics?
No. Mike Coletta built it so he might have some.

I won't take any more than I have because I hate the car so much

Once the owner parks it beside my originals I may as well have an AMC Gremlin with three different colors of primer on it... The car is age, gender, race, creed, national origin and sexual orientation neutral too. EVERYbody loves it..

IIRC it was Mike Coletta's first restomod (or one of the first anyway) and 15 years later its still a jaw-dropping babe magnet. And the owner doesn't baby it either. I've been behind him leaving Old Town and if he opens it up the four tail lights quickly disappear down the long, straight, dark route 192.

So much for restomod 'staying power'...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-29-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:47 AM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

I have been cataloging Corvette RestoMod Pictures and specs on my Facebook page if that helps.....

www.facebook.com/vetterodder

Happy viewing.....
The following 2 users liked this post by dcaggiani:
ironheadvette (08-02-2016), Loren Smith (07-29-2016)

Quick Reply: Lack of C1 C2 Restomods at Auctions