C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Gas smell in garage

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 08:51 PM
VetteJohn
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Gas smell in garage

I was checking out the latest issue of Vette magazine and came across a story on EVAP systems. I have two C2s so like many owners I have garage that smells off gasoline from time to time. The smell is most noticeable when I return from a drive and when the temperature in the garage increases because the outside temperature increases.

Has anyone thought about putting together a EVAP system for the C2? This would take the tank emissions out the equation and I think reduce the gas smell. If anyone has done this I’d like to hear about it. I’d also like to hear what others think about idea.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:59 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I would spend time searching for the source of the vapors. Are your floats out of adjustment? How about the gas cap? Something is out of sorts I think. Dennis
Old 07-25-2016, 09:36 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

I've owned many C2's in my life. You could smell gas in the garage after a drive on every one. I have a C3 in the garage now. I filled up with gas Saturday, drove about 40 miles, 100 degrees out, pulled in garage. Went back out in 30 minutes, gas smell. I just stopped worrying about it.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:12 PM
Bluffman
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

My car had the gas smell, replaced the cork gasket on the fill neck, now I fill the gas tank up and no gas smell,
Old 07-25-2016, 10:45 PM
AkrHack
Drifting

Received 260 Likes on 183 Posts

My '71 has a gas smell as well after a drive. I don't know if my '67 emits a gas smell or not. Hopefully I'll get it on the road one day soon and will be able to answer that question!

Last edited by AkrHack; 07-25-2016 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:13 PM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

Gotta love that smell!
Old 07-26-2016, 02:05 AM
eblood
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing for me for my c3 and c2.. just remember not to smoke a cigarette right after
Old 07-26-2016, 10:37 AM
VetteJohn
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Thanks for replies

Thanks for all the replies, I guess no one has tried an EVAP system. The cap is new, the floats are right, the gasket under the filler neck is new and I can't find any other place where there's gas getting out. I'll point out that with everything "fixed" the tank cap is VENTED, so fumes are going to get out. If my tank ever has to come out I think I'll give EVAP a try.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:46 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by VetteJohn
Thanks for all the replies, I guess no one has tried an EVAP system. The cap is new, the floats are right, the gasket under the filler neck is new and I can't find any other place where there's gas getting out. I'll point out that with everything "fixed" the tank cap is VENTED, so fumes are going to get out. If my tank ever has to come out I think I'll give EVAP a try.

Didn't I read a couple of threads that indicate some of the newer caps do not vent correctly???? Mine is the original gas cap and I don't get any gas smell at all, whether just sitting or after driving it for a few miles. The only time I get the gas smell is if I flood the engine, then it comes on strong.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:08 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I have had both my '61 and '63 closed up in my residential 3 car garage for weeks at a time with no gas smell whatsoever. None.

You'd be better off properly fixing the problem than vectoring off into some solution that still might not address the issue...
Old 07-26-2016, 12:08 PM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

The only time I get a gas smell is when I have the winter blend gas, after about May all the smell is gone..
Old 07-26-2016, 02:32 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,385 Likes on 917 Posts

Don't forget that the float bowls on the carburetors will also be vented to atmosphere on these old cars.

Live well,

SJW
Old 07-29-2016, 11:14 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '62 just developed a gas smell about a month ago and 3 days ago I found the problem. There is a hose between the gas fill and cap piece and the gas tank. I thought the clamps might be loose and tried to tighten them with no luck, but with a mirror I found cracks in the underside of the hose and it was wet with gas. This only starts to smell after driving or after filling the tank however. Now, to find new hose and clamps. Hope yours is that simple.
Skip
Old 07-29-2016, 11:23 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I have had both my '61 and '63 closed up in my residential 3 car garage for weeks at a time with no gas smell whatsoever. None.

You'd be better off properly fixing the problem than vectoring off into some solution that still might not address the issue...
There's no gas smell on mine either for weeks. It's just the day of and after a drive.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:24 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by 6242
My '62 just developed a gas smell about a month ago and 3 days ago I found the problem. There is a hose between the gas fill and cap piece and the gas tank. I thought the clamps might be loose and tried to tighten them with no luck, but with a mirror I found cracks in the underside of the hose and it was wet with gas. This only starts to smell after driving or after filling the tank however. Now, to find new hose and clamps. Hope yours is that simple.
Skip
Very common problem on C1s. Its tight as hell in the gas tank cavity to install that hose. So, order some of this to rub on your hands before you start the task (Amazon has it).

Do NOT use the bathroom after applying the cream without washing hands thoroughly...ask me how I know
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2016, 01:49 PM
Nick Martorano
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Very common problem on C1s. Its tight as hell in the gas tank cavity to install that hose. So, order some of this to rub on your hands before you start the task (Amazon has it).

Do NOT use the bathroom after applying the cream without washing hands thoroughly...ask me how I know
Now that is Funny!
Old 07-29-2016, 03:57 PM
Dave64
Drifting

Received 519 Likes on 192 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
St. Jude Donor '19-'20-'21

If you've got a Holley carb, remember, Holley's tend to perk gas thru the secondaries into the manifold when hot. I had the gas smell after a drive, until I installed a 1/2 inch wood carb spacer from Summit. Now, the smell is gone, in fact, it even idles a bit better.

Be Safe...

Get notified of new replies

To Gas smell in garage

Old 07-29-2016, 04:42 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dave64
If you've got a Holley carb, remember, Holley's tend to perk gas thru the secondaries into the manifold when hot. I had the gas smell after a drive, until I installed a 1/2 inch wood carb spacer from Summit. Now, the smell is gone, in fact, it even idles a bit better.

Be Safe...
You must know which engine he's got all my C2s had Carter AFB and they smelled of gas
Old 07-29-2016, 06:01 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Has anyone thought about putting together a EVAP system for the C2? This would take the tank emissions out the equation and I think reduce the gas smell. If anyone has done this I’d like to hear about it. I’d also like to hear what others think about idea.
YES...I put a charcoal canister out of a C5 in a resto-mod'd LS equipped 1967.

The owner mentioned who fuel smell would fill the area where it was parked.

I found the problem...the vapor/vent hose to the fuel tank was just laying on top of the fuel tank front cross member and open to the atmosphere.

So I added a vapor line by jacking up the body. Installed purge valve and the valve for the charcoal canister venting and a custom bracket at the throttle linkage which was my controlled ground circuit.

When the car was at idle...the EVAP system did not allow fuel vapors to be pulled into the engine via the purge valve ..which could have effected the fuel trim at idle. BUT when the accelerator was pressed and the ground signal was lost...the two valves switched and the engine would pull vapors out of the fuel tank.

When he took the Corvette and drove it and parked it...he told me there was NO fuel smell in the storage area where he parks it.

DUB
Old 07-29-2016, 06:28 PM
mg365
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was checking out the latest issue of Vette magazine and came across a story on EVAP systems. I have two C2s so like many owners I have garage that smells off gasoline from time to time. The smell is most noticeable when I return from a drive and when the temperature in the garage increases because the outside temperature increases.

LOVE the smell of VP burning in the early morning hours.<br/>

Quick Reply: [C2] Gas smell in garage