C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Ss700

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 12:01 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Ss700

the following is from an earlier discussion Jim and I had about shifting problems:

Bill,

Been away from the keyboard this past week... wrenching on my son's '03 Envoy (what a pain in the **s!)...replaced power steering lines, UGH!

Sorry to hear your having some gear clash going into 3rd gear. Occasionally, I will experience this too. I found it was traced to how I grabbed/moved the shifter handle towards 3rd with my cup console in place. 90% of the time she shifts into 3rd (& smooth in all other gears). Here's a pic of my cup console:

If I just let the shifter handle follow its gate, there's no occasional clash. With the console pulled away and using the palm/heel of my hand, the shifts are quick and positive with no clash.

Regarding what oil to use today in this tranny, was this mono fluid an overall improvement in noise (mine's not noisy) as well as general shifting? I'm thinking of draining mine (have over 12,000 miles on Mobil 1 ATF). Unless there's a "new and improved" fluid, I'm thinking of staying with Mobil 1 ATF.

Jody,

Thanks for your post on an alternative tail shaft boot. I've not experienced any squeals/noise with this original longer boot that's in place.

Hi Jeff. Met you at Carlisle this year. Maybe I missed it in this topic. If I purchased this LGT700 today, what's the factory fill fluid recommended by Silver Sport?

Jim
In God We Trust!

Jim
my first impression of the monilec was that the gear noise was dampened a bit and the shifter moved a bit smoother; but this was before the transmission warmed up. I will have to pay a bit more attention after driving enough to bring everything up to 'temperature'
Bill

Jim

i dug the car out of the garage after it sitting for 9 months without it being driven; decided I would drive it to NC for mom's 99th bday. put about 1500 miles on it round trip, so I now have probably a bit over 2200 miles on the transmission.

my biggest complaint was it occasionally grinding going into 3rd, I went back in the archives and found that you too had/have a bit of the same problem.

my next big complaint was/is the effort it takes to overcome the side loading of the shifter spring in order to get it into 1st and/or 5th/reverse.

i find that if i sloooowly/gently move towards 3rd, and directly in the 3rd gate slot the 9+ times out of 10 it doesn't clash; i can live with that... do you still have a bit of clash?

i tackled the 'spring' problem by getting a 2" longer shifter stick. some of you might think the installation is funky or tacky, but it works for me; with the stick turned in the traditional direction my elbow would hit the glove box; with it turned around, no problem and it is still within easy reach. movement against the 'spring' is still hard, but manageable

pictures are with stick in 1st, neutral, 4th.

driving impressions:

for many years i used an MY6 OD transmission that has a 3.09 1st gear and a .73 OD ratio. with the 3.36 RER and the ZZ4 that seemed to be an ideal combination for starting out and cruising.

the SS700 has a 2.66 first and it makes starting out a whole different scenario and the .68 OD makes OD next to useless below 55mpg as the engine is only turning 1500 at 55. (you wouldn't think .05 would make a difference, but it does...) OD would probably be better suited to a 3.55 or more.

with most of my trip driving being interstate & divided highway with 100 or so city miles i averaged 21.6mpg.

it's installed, so i will continue to use it...

Bill

dunno why the pictures are sideways.....
Attached Images     

Last edited by wmf62; 08-11-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:11 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,035 Likes on 1,251 Posts

This is not a ringing endorsement for the ss700, which sounded so promising when it first came out. I almost pulled the trigger on one when they were new, but now am glad I didn't.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:44 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by LouieM
This is not a ringing endorsement for the ss700, which sounded so promising when it first came out. I almost pulled the trigger on one when they were new, but now am glad I didn't.
well, as the saying goes... "your results may differ"... most people may be happy, but the bad part is that they are pretty much orphans, especially if LGT is having financial difficulties or has gone belly-up.

Mine is # 332 and is probably one of the last Shafi shipped. i don't know how many SST may have built/sold or LGT sold directly.
Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 08-10-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:39 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Hi Bill & Louie,

Sorry I didn't respond right away. We're away from home visiting our son & family just outside of Southbend, indiana. And, haven't been on the forum much this year due to a major move (sold our home & bought another)...been a little distracted

Pushing nearly 18,000 miles on serial #007 SS700. I am still running with Mobil 1 ATF. Just put a 4 post lift in the new place. Will be swapping out that fluid this year. Other than a minor weep at the tail shaft I'm living with, the tranny remains solid, quiet and the shifting continues to be precise and quick. With my setup, 3:73 posi rr gears, .060 over 327, solid lifters ('70 LT1 cam, lifters and intake, correct 365 HP Holley (585 cfm), I can drive out comfortably with no lugging at 45 mph (tach reads 1,500 r's. Using the palm/heel the 2/3 shift is smooth and positive.

Here's a pick of the shorter shift handle Keisler provided with my kit. My tranny is the close ratio (think yours is the same Bill).

This is my experience. That news of LGT going under is not good. Parts now will get rarer.
I'm knocking on wood on my luck with this tranny.

Jim
In God We Trust!
Old 08-11-2016, 04:51 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

surely we aren't the only 2 on the forum that bought them.... I do know that some got caught up in the bankruptcy and lost everything....
Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 08-11-2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:40 PM
Patman65
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks like I should go read up on this, Ive had one new in the box for the past 7 months or so...
Old 08-20-2016, 03:04 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Patman65
Looks like I should go read up on this, Ive had one new in the box for the past 7 months or so...
i'm kind of getting the cart before the horse with my advice; BUT, if it shifts good you will be happy (got to install it to find out.. )

what # is yours?
Bill

and, if 'looks' count for anything, it is a fine looking piece of equipment...
Attached Images  

Last edited by wmf62; 08-20-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:42 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

who all here have a Keisler or SST SS700?
Bill
Old 08-22-2016, 01:24 AM
65-StingRay
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Bill,
I'm having absolutely zero problems with my LGT-700. She shifts smooth in every gear including 3rd with no clash. No problems with either 1st or 5th engagement. Speed shifted into 3rd more than a few times with no grinding or missing a shift.
I started with Amsoil lub. for the 1st 500 miles then switched to the Monolec lub. I like the Monolec a little better because it made the shifts a little smoother.
As you said Bill it is a nice piece of work, fits well in the space, good for 700 ft. lbs. of torque.
Mine does not leak at the tailshaft.

I am very happy with mine and have no reason to think it's going to screw up on me. I like everything about it.

65-StingRay
Wayne
Old 08-24-2016, 06:13 PM
66 Vette
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
who all here have a Keisler or SST SS700?
Bill
I have had mine a SS700 for a couple of years, purchased from Keisler.

Last edited by 66 Vette; 08-25-2016 at 04:12 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:33 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

i'm going to readjust my clutch engagement point and see if there is a difference in 'clash'
Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 08-25-2016 at 04:58 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:22 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

I have an RS600 with about 8k miles and shifts smoothly BUT will slide out of fifth once in a while. I have it out now and since it's an orphan as some have said, I'm planning on getting into it nyself and and see what I find. SST is familiar with them and will work on it but shipping isn't cheap and neither is their labor so I might as well became experienced with it myself.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:14 AM
wesmigletz
12.14 w/ the original 327

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
CI 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

driving impressions:

for many years i used an MY6 OD transmission that has a 3.09 1st gear and a .73 OD ratio. with the 3.36 RER and the ZZ4 that seemed to be an ideal combination for starting out and cruising.
Bill, years ago I followed your threads about your MY6 transmission. My son and I put one in his 68 Camaro last year. The transmission was rebuilt by a local shop in Tacoma before we installed it. It shifts OK under normal driving, but will grind if you try to shift it too quick. We've played with the clutch adjustment some, but without any change. I was just curious what your MY6 shifted like under load.

Thank you,

Wes
Old 08-25-2016, 12:19 AM
66BlueRdster
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi All,

I purchased my LGT-700 a little over a year ago. It's been a great transmission. Shifts as smooth as the Muncie. I have it behind an LS3 and it shifts great at the 6600 RPM redline. The only complaint I have is it does have a bit of gear noise/whine you can hear when coasting to a stop at low speed. When accelerating or at high speed, the engine and wind noise drown out the gear noise. I run Monolec in it, which could be making the noise more pronounced.

Overall, very happy with the transmission. Have over 3000 miles on it.

Ed
Old 08-25-2016, 05:28 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by wesmigletz
Bill, years ago I followed your threads about your MY6 transmission. My son and I put one in his 68 Camaro last year. The transmission was rebuilt by a local shop in Tacoma before we installed it. It shifts OK under normal driving, but will grind if you try to shift it too quick. We've played with the clutch adjustment some, but without any change. I was just curious what your MY6 shifted like under load.

Thank you,

Wes
Wes
John (Plasticman on the forum) has a bit of 'grinding' with his MY6. he has tried some 'fancy' transmission fluid to no avail and has recently rebuilt another MY6 which he will probably install when he gets around to installing his new engine.

my experience was I had clash after my original installation when downshifting, but no problem on upshifts. I had originally filled with good old fashioned 85w90. then I discovered that the original OEM fluid specified was ATF, so I drained the 85w90 and filled with ATF ; no more problems... seems counterintuitive, but that is what worked for me...

I don't ever remember any problem whatsoever with hard driving or 'speed shifting' using my old Muncie hurst shifter and linkage with an adapter mounting plate that John made. I have fond memories of that transmission and not having to have the extra gear of a 5spd in order to get OD....

Bill
Attached Images   
Old 08-25-2016, 09:45 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

With my MY6 trans, it only clashes if I try "speed shifting" into 3rd. Otherwise, it is fine. I rebuilt this trans about 4 years ago (new synchro rings, bearings, and gaskets) and found a Main Shaft "C' clip that had broken. I replaced the clip, and tried to repair the slightly rounded off shaft groove. After reinstalling, it was working great, until I tried "speed shifting" with Bill in the Vette, and that is when it started to clash again, so I am assuming that the "C" clip has broken again (probably too much end play). Otherwise, if driven "normally", it behaves just fine. Note that the wide spread between gears, does not make for a good speed shifter anyway, and forget about trying to downshifting into 1st at anything above 5 mph.....but it is a great "cruiser" transmission.

And as Bill indicated, I have a "spare" ready to go.

And the "fancy" trans fluid that Bill mentioned, is from a Chrysler A-833 guru (the MY6 is a version of the A-833 made by Chrysler's New Process for GM) that did help with "normal" shifting (made it "slicker" with less effort), so it does have it's purpose.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 08-25-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:33 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by 65air_coupe
I have an RS600 with about 8k miles and shifts smoothly BUT will slide out of fifth once in a while. I have it out now and since it's an orphan as some have said, I'm planning on getting into it nyself and and see what I find. SST is familiar with them and will work on it but shipping isn't cheap and neither is their labor so I might as well became experienced with it myself.
The RS600 is a Borg Warner T45 that has a re engineered input shaft and whose bell section was removed. Many parts are available for this trans except the input shaft and cluster shaft. This is a good, strong trans, whose weak point is the slider forks, which will crack if you miss a gear at high RPM. They are easily replaceable and available in STRONGER versions.

The T45 Source is the place to go for any repairs.

BTW: Mine is very quick shifting and quiet. Even at 7000+ RPM. Except for a cheap mount bracket, which I later reinforced, I am very happy with mine.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 08-26-2016 at 11:13 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Ss700

Old 08-25-2016, 01:00 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
The RS600 is a Borg Warner T45 that has a re engineered input shaft and whose bell section was removed. Many parts are available for this trans except the input shaft and cluster shaft. This is a good, strong trans, whose weak point is the slider forks, which will crack if you miss a gear at high RPM. They are easily replaceable and available in STRONGER versions.

The T45 Source is the place to go for any repairs.

BTW: Mine is very quick shifting and quiet. Even at 7000+ RPM. Except for a cheap mount bracket, which I later reinforced, I am very happy with mine.
so, if you have a Keisler RS600 input gear problem you have replace it/them with original T45 parts; or do you just throw the thing away?
Bill
Old 08-25-2016, 02:05 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

so, if you have a Keisler RS600 input gear problem you have replace it/them with original T45 parts; or do you just throw the thing away?
Bill
Old 08-25-2016, 03:06 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

i'm gonna make a wild-azz guess and say that the reason Keisler made a new input shaft/gear is because after the bell is removed from the original transmission the length of the input had to be modified to the mate-up distance of the clutch/pilot bushing/crankshaft/bellhousing/etc.

I hope i'm wrong as the transmission becomes a 'throwaway' if a replacement cannot be found; kinda sorta like the SS700...
Bill

Quick Reply: Ss700