C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

64 corvette lectric limited engine harness black wire on coil

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 11:51 AM
Kruegmeister
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts

Default 64 corvette lectric limited engine harness black wire on coil

I bought a new Lectric Limited Engine Harness for my 64 L75 327-365 HP no A/C 4 speed Manual.
I started my comparison before changing & my new harness has a wire that the instructions says to put on the top screw of the ballast resistor. My old one does not have this wire.
2nd discrepancy is my old harness has a pink with black or red with black wire on the ignition coil & the new harness does not have that...

Also there is this wire on the Battery Negative Terminal... Changes color through that rubber thing and hops into the Harness & looks to be heading down to the starter.

Lectric Part # is VIG6465

Thanks in Advance

Last edited by Kruegmeister; 08-14-2016 at 11:29 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:49 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,946 Likes on 4,785 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

is your car a K66 TI car?
Old 08-14-2016, 01:44 PM
Kruegmeister
Racer

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
is your car a K66 TI car?
No its a Carburetor oN it.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:52 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,946 Likes on 4,785 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

TI is transistor Ignition its point less electric ignition system
The following users liked this post:
Kruegmeister (08-14-2016)
Old 08-14-2016, 03:04 PM
Kruegmeister
Racer

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
TI is transistor Ignition its point less electric ignition system
New Car to me, still learning it.
The Transistor I've read would be in front by the Radiator on the Driver side. There is not one there so I would say it is not a TI

The New Harness has a Black/Purple wire they want on the Ballast. Current one does not have that wire.
The Old Harness has a Red Wire up to the Coil and a Black one as well. The New Harness only has a Black/Purple at that section. It seems my New Wiring Harness is not Correct??? I'll try to take some pictures of the New vs Old.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:19 PM
Paster
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Is the wire perhaps black and pink? Here's the wiring diagram, black/pink goes to the ballast.

-Michael
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by Paster:
BCQ (08-24-2022), Kruegmeister (08-14-2016)
Old 08-14-2016, 08:38 PM
Kruegmeister
Racer

So the Black with Pink stripe at the Ballast my Old Harness does not have.

The Mystery Wire appears Pink with Black or Red with Black
1st Pic it comes out of the Wiring Harness near by the Black/Pink Double Wire. The Double Wire goes to the Lower Section of the Ignition Coil.
So what is this Pink or Red Wire in my Old Harness and why doesn't my new Harness have it???

Here is the new Harness, it does not have the Red or Pink with Black Stripe...

Last edited by Kruegmeister; 08-14-2016 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:20 AM
gccch
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

I think your old harness has been modified. The ballast resistor is on your firewall in the picture of your engine bay. The short black/pink goes to the top of that resistor.

The dual black/pink goes to the top of the coil. You have an extra device at the coil which my 64 (300HP) does not have. Unless this is a 365 HP item it does not belong. You have three wires going to this location. Yank the orange one and the little device it comes from and put the dual black/pink in it's place.

Let me add that you are likely looking at other modifications from stock and the suggestion I make here does not go far enough. You are going to have to find all the other modifications and sort through them.

You can tell what has been added to the old harness most likely by it having been wrapped in black electrical tape which is not what the original harness is wrapped in. The original would be wrapped in a non-adhesive black tape. Anything with adhesive came later.

Last edited by gccch; 08-15-2016 at 09:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Kruegmeister (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 10:14 AM
Kruegmeister
Racer

Originally Posted by gccch
I think your old harness has been modified. The ballast resistor is on your firewall in the picture of your engine bay. The short black/pink goes to the top of that resistor.

The dual black/pink goes to the top of the coil. You have an extra device at the coil which my 64 (300HP) does not have. Unless this is a 365 HP item it does not belong. You have three wires going to this location. Yank the orange one and the little device it comes from and put the dual black/pink in it's place.

Let me add that you are likely looking at other modifications from stock and the suggestion I make here does not go far enough. You are going to have to find all the other modifications and sort through them.

You can tell what has been added to the old harness most likely by it having been wrapped in black electrical tape which is not what the original harness is wrapped in. The original would be wrapped in a non-adhesive black tape. Anything with adhesive came later.
I'm thinking you're right...
I'm gonna do some research, but I wonder if it could be something like this...
This would explain the extra wire on top of the distributor, just need to figure what the extra ground is...

Get notified of new replies

To 64 corvette lectric limited engine harness black wire on coil

Quick Reply: 64 corvette lectric limited engine harness black wire on coil