C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1967 400/hp 4sp tri- power problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 09:00 AM
moonframer
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 427435
Hope you report back when you find the vacuum leak and where it was. I've rebuilt the carbs on mine numerous times over the years. I struggle with how any vacuum leak at the carb could fine it's way to the diaphragm that opens the carb.

The fact that the car stalls when the end carb is covered does show a problem with that carb. Look closely at the casting and plate for any cracks.
I sure will! I'm thinking a worn shaft bore. Thanks for your help! Jim
Old 08-24-2016, 11:36 AM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,126 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Normally when you have a vacuum leak and cover the air horn of the carburetor the engine RPM will rise, due to the lean mixture created by the vacuum leak.
So by covering the air horn you richen the mixture up which raises the RPM.
Did you check the float level on that carb? If fuel poured out of the venturi I would suspect a high float level.
Joe
Old 08-24-2016, 11:51 AM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

The problem is NOT with the front carb. Even at idle, there is flow through the secondary carbs. Completely choking either front or rear carb should cause the engine to stumble/stall and fuel to drip out of the boosters momentarily.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:57 AM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Read attached regarding secondary carb idle circuits.
Attached Images
Old 08-24-2016, 06:06 PM
moonframer
Burning Brakes

Default Tri-Power issues

Originally Posted by SupremeDeluxe
The problem is NOT with the front carb. Even at idle, there is flow through the secondary carbs. Completely choking either front or rear carb should cause the engine to stumble/stall and fuel to drip out of the boosters momentarily.
Thanks for your input. A couple carb shops tell me that at idle the only functioning carb is the center primary. The outside carbs are non functioning at idle. I tried to read your info. on tri power set-ups. unfortunately the print is so small it's hard to read. If your saying that it is normal for the engine to shutter and stall and gas to come out of the venturi, when I cover the front carb, then why do you think there is NO change when I cover the rear carb?
Am I correct that you are saying the front (secondary) carb is also assisting the engine with fuel at idle? Does the rear carb offer fuel too at idle? Very confusing!
Old 08-24-2016, 06:45 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong - but for clarity I think when you say there is flow through the secondary carbs at idle - you mean some air flow past the throttle blades and not fuel. Is that correct? I think most carb throttle blades - either secondary on a 4bbl or outboard carbs on tri-power, have their throttle blades slightly cracked open as a precaution against their sticking in the bores - which allows some air passage at idle.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:58 PM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

From the service document:

"The outboard carburetors have a fixed idle system mentioned on the previous page. The fixed idle flow through very small idle passages in each outboard carburetor maintains good idle characteristics. This reduces the possibility of flooding from the outboard carburetors, and maintains a fresh fuel supply in both outboard carburetor fuel bowls."

In short, there is a non-adjustable idle circuit in both the outboard carbs. Covering the inlet to either outboard carb should cause a stumble at idle. The fact that covering the rear carb doesn't impact engine behavior tells me there is something amiss with that carb. I don't know how that is connected to your acceleration issue, though.

I would disconnect the linkage from the outboard carbs entirely and see if the issue persists. Some pictures of the carbs and linkage might help us to troubleshoot also.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:33 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

"The outboard carburetors have a fixed idle system mentioned on the previous page. The fixed idle flow through very small idle passages in each outboard carburetor maintains good idle characteristics. This reduces the possibility of flooding from the outboard carburetors, and maintains a fresh fuel supply in both outboard carburetor fuel bowls."

Ah yes, "fresh fuel supply". Now that I read it, I remember that from another tri-power thread a few months ago. You probably posted that one too. I stand corrected.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:17 PM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 251 Posts

This is the idle slot/hole in the 2300's base plate.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:52 PM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

I think at this point I would disconnect outboard carb linkages one at a time and drive to see which carb is running you up.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:59 PM
moonframer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
Ah yes, "fresh fuel supply". Now that I read it, I remember that from another tri-power thread a few months ago. You probably posted that one too. I stand corrected.
very interesting! Thanks
Old 08-24-2016, 10:03 PM
moonframer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 6T7L71CPE
This is the idle slot/hole in the 2300's base plate.

Thanks, I didn't realize what those slots did. So all three carbs offer fuel at idle? Guess it also helps to balance fuel distribution..
I'm away for a few days at Corvettes at Carlisle. Back on Sunday!!
This forum is very helpful
Old 08-24-2016, 10:10 PM
moonframer
Burning Brakes

In short, there is a non-adjustable idle circuit in both the outboard carbs. Covering the inlet to either outboard carb should cause a stumble at idle. The fact that covering the rear carb doesn't impact engine behavior tells me there is something amiss with that carb. I don't know how that is connected to your acceleration issue, though.

I would disconnect the linkage from the outboard carbs entirely and see if the issue persists. Some pictures of the carbs and linkage might help us to troubleshoot also.
I will try your advise. But actually I think I need to shut off the vacuum source to the outside carb to shut it off (one at a time to test it). The linkage is only for shut down. I suppose I should also wire tie the throttle plate closed on the carb that is disconnected so it can't open with suction. Thanks for all your input..
Old 08-24-2016, 10:41 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by moonframer
Thanks, I didn't realize what those slots did. So all three carbs offer fuel at idle? Guess it also helps to balance fuel distribution..
I'm away for a few days at Corvettes at Carlisle. Back on Sunday!!
This forum is very helpful
Well - at least my miss-information can be informative.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:11 PM
moonframer
Burning Brakes

Default Tri Power problems

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
Well - at least my miss-information can be informative.
All this information I have been getting is helpful an very appreciated! The forum is a great site when you hit the wall and need help. Thanks again.
Off to the Corvette show in Carlisle...
Old 08-24-2016, 11:16 PM
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Read attached regarding secondary carb idle circuits.

One of the diagrams shows an internal vacuum connection from the throttle bore of the secondary carbs to the diaphragms that actually open the secondaries. That is in addition to the vacuum lines from the primary carb that I thought was the only source of vacuum.

What is that for???
Old 08-25-2016, 04:52 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by 427435
One of the diagrams shows an internal vacuum connection from the throttle bore of the secondary carbs to the diaphragms that actually open the secondaries. That is in addition to the vacuum lines from the primary carb that I thought was the only source of vacuum.

What is that for???
The secondary diaphragms are activated by venturi vacuum from the center carb, not by manifold vacuum; that operation is assisted by additional venturi vacuum signals from both end carburetors when they begin to open. Same operational theory as the venturi vacuum orifice in the secondary venturi in a vacuum-secondary Holley 4-barrel.

Get notified of new replies

To 1967 400/hp 4sp tri- power problems

Old 08-25-2016, 05:21 PM
Drifting

Thanks John, I always thought the only vacuum to the secondaries was from the venturi in the primary.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:28 PM
Drifting

Bump

Moonframer, where did you go?
Old 09-20-2016, 03:04 PM
Drifting

Bump................again.

It would be nice if you let us know where you are at with this problem or what you found.

Last edited by 427435; 09-20-2016 at 03:05 PM.

Quick Reply: 1967 400/hp 4sp tri- power problems