C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Steering box Raplacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 01:49 PM
Cachecarter
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1956 Steering box - Replacement

I need to replace my antiquated steering box and (Spear in the chest)column with a new manual steering box and Ididit column( I own already) on my 1956 Corvette. Is there anything I can buy over the counter to do this...No rack a pinion either. How about a Corvair?

Last edited by Cachecarter; 08-22-2016 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Better advertisment
Old 08-22-2016, 08:54 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Cachecarter
I need to replace my antiquated steering box and (Spear in the chest)column with a new manual steering box and Ididit column( I own already) on my 1956 Corvette. Is there anything I can buy over the counter to do this...No rack a pinion either. How about a Corvair?
Corvair would still give you a spear-in-the-chest setup. Only thing I'm aware of to solve your problem is a Jim Meyer or Heidt's front suspension with a Mustang II rack & pinion and the Ididit column. If anything else was available, someone would be selling it, and they're not.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:27 PM
PattiR
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Default steering gear

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Corvair would still give you a spear-in-the-chest setup. Only thing I'm aware of to solve your problem is a Jim Meyer or Heidt's front suspension with a Mustang II rack & pinion and the Ididit column. If anything else was available, someone would be selling it, and they're not.
What about the Steeroids kits that are advertised on the forum?

Thanks,

Dennis
Old 08-23-2016, 09:06 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by PattiR
What about the Steeroids kits that are advertised on the forum?

Thanks,

Dennis
At that point, you have to ask yourself how much money you're willing to spend to make up for the fact that you bought the wrong car for what you want.
The following users liked this post:
rfn026 (08-24-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 11:34 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

John Z is a little tough but I have to agree with him.

Maybe sell the car and buy one you feel more comfortable with?

Richard Newton
Old 08-24-2016, 12:25 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by rfn026
John Z is a little tough but I have to agree with him.

Maybe sell the car and buy one you feel more comfortable with?

Richard Newton
if you and John were right, mine would have been long gone....

there is nothing wrong with "personalization" if you have the wallet and the inclination to do it....

BTW, the Ididit column was a "spear in the chest" when I bought mine; and I presume it still is. to the best of my knowledge there is no way of installing a collaspible column in a C1 with the possible exception of the fabrication of a double D telescoping link between the column and the gearbox.

a rack & pinion system of some sort would be the best investment in steering you can ever do...
Bill
Old 08-24-2016, 03:25 PM
haccpguy
54 Vette Rod
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would say welcome to the forum, but I already see you have already received a few warm and fuzzy comments from the welcoming committee.

Originally Posted by wmf62
a rack & pinion system of some sort would be the best investment in steering you can ever do...
Bill
Totally agree with Bill.

If you are going to go through the trouble of changing the steering, a
rack/pinion system with disc brakes is a great set up.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:10 PM
Cachecarter
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not choose the WRONG car.......... I appreciate all the comments but I have owned every type of early Corvette in my 74 years on the earth... My 1st car was on the ranch at 12 yrs old. Numbers matching trailer Queens are long past...today people want to drive and enjoy...RESTO ROD...just saw the results of an auction - Numbers matching Vette - $70K...same year Resto Rod - $162K...Hmmmmmmmmm! They want them to stop and not handle like a truck. The early Vette is basically a 1952 Chevrolet. I have gone to my Street rod buddies and have decided on the Vega box... bolted to the frame and the new column. I am adding Disc brakes all around and a coil over 4 link Rear... Thanks

Last edited by Cachecarter; 09-14-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:59 PM
BD104X
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 128 Posts

While this forum and most of its members are immensely knowledgeable & helpful, many can also be very narrow-minded. I guess you're not allowed to enjoy these cars and appreciate their timeless look unless you also embrace manual steering, drum brakes, bias-ply tires and AM radio!

Get notified of new replies

To Steering box Raplacement

Quick Reply: [C1] Steering box Raplacement