C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Original '57 - what's a mystery?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 10:29 AM
Panama 58
Melting Slicks

Received 611 Likes on 333 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by VETT457
I mentioned in another post regarding the paint that it is similar to a freshly minted penny - the current issue that has a pink tint. I noticed this in places behind the door panels. I'll try to get a CYMK and hex match for display correction at some point.
The weatherstrip marks are as you say - image attached. They are spaced on the longer pieces such that only 2 are visible on the trunk left and right side center.
On the trunk, there should be one more logo about front/center that you can't see but should be able to feel. I could be to one side of center as well.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:18 AM
VETT457
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Quote:...you will also see at the cut ends of all of the weatherstrips a small white (yellowed) spec of material...
Originally Posted by Panama 58
May I ask one more favor. If you could take a few pics of the door mains at the top where there should be a little metal clip that goes over the cut end. This would be just below the window and to the side of the exterior door handle. There is always a bunch of confusion as to how this should look for judging. Thanks.
Panama 58, I checked all the weatherstrips. There is no evidence of a cast in cord.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:03 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

My early 57 and my late 57 both had cords in the door weatherstrip.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:25 PM
Panama 58
Melting Slicks

Received 611 Likes on 333 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by VETT457

Quote:...you will also see at the cut ends of all of the weatherstrips a small white (yellowed) spec of material...

Panama 58, I checked all the weatherstrips. There is no evidence of a cast in cord.
I am sure it's there, but there is no doubt that you have the original w/s. The photo you provided of the clip at the top of the door is fantastic. This should help a lot of guys working toward their judging endeavors. If you were to pick around on the edge of the w/s where it goes from thick to thin (profile is an L shaped mold) I think you would find the cord. Take a look at your trunk where the two ends of the w/s come together. This would be on the trunk lid centered at the lock. Also look at the ends of the hood ledge w/s. Thanks for the picture. Great stuff.
Panama58

Quick Reply: [C1] Original '57 - what's a mystery?