C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Power steering fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 10:59 AM
phil62
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering fluid

I Have installed Steeroids power rack and pinion system on my 62. What do you recommend as a power steering fluid?
Old 08-25-2016, 11:19 AM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

Originally Posted by phil62
I Have installed Steeroids power rack and pinion system on my 62. What do you recommend as a power steering fluid?
What does Steeroids recommend?? I just use ATF fluid in my stock '67 system.

Last edited by leif.anderson93; 08-26-2016 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:50 AM
ACCURATE
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Phil.. Welcome to the forum. .lots of great info and super smart members ..I just installed the steeroids system on my 65 and just used regular power steering fluid.. Seems to be fine .although I have some binding issues at slow speeds .. Hows your system working for you ? Joe
Old 08-25-2016, 12:02 PM
phil62
8th Gear

Originally Posted by ACCURATE
Hey Phil.. Welcome to the forum. .lots of great info and super smart members ..I just installed the steeroids system on my 65 and just used regular power steering fluid.. Seems to be fine .although I have some binding issues at slow speeds .. Hows your system working for you ? Joe
Thanks Joe, my 62 drives and steers great, the steering is very quick and takes getting used to. A very worthwhile upgrade.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:32 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
What does Steeroids recommend?? I just use ATF fluid in my stock "67 system.
Step #1 - Read the instructions that came with the assembly. Why would you want to use something that the manufacture recommends?
Old 08-25-2016, 06:15 PM
phil62
8th Gear

Originally Posted by GCD1962
Step #1 - Read the instructions that came with the assembly. Why would you want to use something that the manufacture recommends?
GCD1962
I read what the instructions used, I was interested in the recommendations of fellow Corvette enthusiasts. Thanks for the condescending reply.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:26 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

GCD1962
I read what the instructions used, I was interested in the recommendations of fellow Corvette enthusiasts. Thanks for the condescending reply.
condescending or not; if you have a warranty it is best to use what the manufacturer recommends at least until the warranty is up.
Bill
Old 08-26-2016, 01:20 PM
62-C1
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks Joe, my 62 drives and steers great, the steering is very quick and takes getting used to. A very worthwhile upgrade.
Phil,
Congratulations on your Steeroid System, I also just installed the Power Steeroids System, it works great, makes the car a pleasure to drive. The Only problem I have is I need to add shims to increase the caster. My car wants to Wander a little bit, and will not come back to center if you release the steering wheel.

I was only able to get 1 1/2° of caster and according to Speed Direct you need in the neighborhood of four
Degrees.
Have you had that problem?

Marty
Old 08-26-2016, 01:48 PM
phil62
8th Gear

Originally Posted by 62 corvette nut
Phil,
Congratulations on your Steeroid System, I also just installed the Power Steeroids System, it works great, makes the car a pleasure to drive. The Only problem I have is I need to add shims to increase the caster. My car wants to Wander a little bit, and will not come back to center if you release the steering wheel.

I was only able to get 1 1/2° of caster and according to Speed Direct you need in the neighborhood of four
Degrees.
Have you had that problem?

Marty
Hi Marty, I specified the 4 degrees of caster at the alignment shop, but I can not confirm that 4 deg. was achieved. My 62 wanders a little bit, but I think that is because the steering is so quick and sensitive. It takes very little input to move the car left or right. But considering the way the car drives now, it is a small trade-off.

I will be taking the car to another shop and confirm the caster settings in the near future.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:30 PM
62-C1
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi Marty, I specified the 4 degrees of caster at the alignment shop, but I can not confirm that 4 deg. was achieved. My 62 wanders a little bit, but I think that is because the steering is so quick and sensitive. It takes very little input to move the car left or right. But considering the way the car drives now, it is a small trade-off.

I will be taking the car to another shop and confirm the caster settings in the near future.
Phil,

The 62 came with 1 1/2° of Caster from the factory, I'm on vacation in Cape Cod the Next three weeks, when I get home I'm going to have the shims installed and I'll let you know how much caster I was able to get. I'll also let you know if it solved the problem.

Marty
Old 08-27-2016, 10:18 AM
phil62
8th Gear

Originally Posted by 62 corvette nut
Phil,

The 62 came with 1 1/2° of Caster from the factory, I'm on vacation in Cape Cod the Next three weeks, when I get home I'm going to have the shims installed and I'll let you know how much caster I was able to get. I'll also let you know if it solved the problem.

Marty
I look forward to hearing from you about your alignment, have a great vacation......Phil

Get notified of new replies

To Power steering fluid

Quick Reply: [C1] Power steering fluid